FW: Calling all laminated composite structures analysts - Can I model a layered composite in a 2D plane stress model?

BD
Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US)
Fri, Jul 9, 2021 11:12 AM

Hi All,

Not sure who to ask - so please excuse the broadcast message.

Looking to model some simple flanges (back-to-back)  as 2D plane stress - PLANE42 elements (or 182's).  I'm thinking of modeling each ply layer as a row of elements.

I'm a little stuck on the fact that with those elements I cannot change the element coordinate systems at will to orient a 45 degree woven fabric ply - where the fiber direction would be out of the element plane.  The PLANE182 implies ESYS can be used but I've had no luck with ESYS or EMOD

Is there a different element type I should be using?

Another option I've considered is it I can get the physical properties (E PR G) of the fabric ply in the 45 degree direction and call that Ey.  IN other words don't change the element coordinate system - change the Ex Ey Ez I input for the material.

Really trying to avoid going 3D with this problem - going 3D just to get ply by ply material property input seems overboard.  Supporting some part shipments so the whole project is time sensitive.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Bohlen
Senior/ SSt Engineer, Stress Analyst
STAR review chairman, Cold Structures, Mounts, TRF
GE Aircraft Engines
1 Neumann Way
Evendale, OH  45215  USA
Build B90 Col. H5  cube BK35-251
M/D H358  Cell  513-917-3402 513-592-0678

"In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming

[...]
Fri, Jul 9, 2021 2:04 PM

For clarity - I am trying to do a plane stress with thickness model.

[...]

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

For clarity - I am trying to do a plane stress with thickness model. -----Original Message----- From: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> Sent: Friday, July 9, 2021 7:12 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk Subject: EXT: [Xansys] FW: Calling all laminated composite structures analysts - Can I model a layered composite in a 2D plane stress model? Hi All, Not sure who to ask - so please excuse the broadcast message. Looking to model some simple flanges (back-to-back) as 2D plane stress - PLANE42 elements (or 182's). I'm thinking of modeling each ply layer as a row of elements. I'm a little stuck on the fact that with those elements I cannot change the element coordinate systems at will to orient a 45 degree woven fabric ply - where the fiber direction would be out of the element plane. The PLANE182 implies ESYS can be used but I've had no luck with ESYS or EMOD Is there a different element type I should be using? Another option I've considered is it I can get the physical properties (E PR G) of the fabric ply in the 45 degree direction and call that Ey. IN other words don't change the element coordinate system - change the Ex Ey Ez I input for the material. Really trying to avoid going 3D with this problem - going 3D just to get ply by ply material property input seems overboard. Supporting some part shipments so the whole project is time sensitive. Thanks in advance, Dan Bohlen Senior/ SSt Engineer, Stress Analyst STAR review chairman, Cold Structures, Mounts, TRF GE Aircraft Engines 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA Build B90 Col. H5 cube BK35-251 M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 513-592-0678 "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
DJ
Deibler, John E
Fri, Jul 9, 2021 2:19 PM

Dan,

How do you know ESYS is not working?  Are you using RSYS to plot results?

John Deibler
Pacific Northwest National Lab

"All models are wrong.  Some models are useful"

Check twice before you click! This email originated from outside PNNL.

[...]

Dan, How do you know ESYS is not working? Are you using RSYS to plot results? John Deibler Pacific Northwest National Lab "All models are wrong. Some models are useful" -----Original Message----- From: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> Sent: Friday, July 09, 2021 4:12 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk Subject: [Xansys] FW: Calling all laminated composite structures analysts - Can I model a layered composite in a 2D plane stress model? Check twice before you click! This email originated from outside PNNL. Hi All, Not sure who to ask - so please excuse the broadcast message. Looking to model some simple flanges (back-to-back) as 2D plane stress - PLANE42 elements (or 182's). I'm thinking of modeling each ply layer as a row of elements. I'm a little stuck on the fact that with those elements I cannot change the element coordinate systems at will to orient a 45 degree woven fabric ply - where the fiber direction would be out of the element plane. The PLANE182 implies ESYS can be used but I've had no luck with ESYS or EMOD Is there a different element type I should be using? Another option I've considered is it I can get the physical properties (E PR G) of the fabric ply in the 45 degree direction and call that Ey. IN other words don't change the element coordinate system - change the Ex Ey Ez I input for the material. Really trying to avoid going 3D with this problem - going 3D just to get ply by ply material property input seems overboard. Supporting some part shipments so the whole project is time sensitive. Thanks in advance, Dan Bohlen Senior/ SSt Engineer, Stress Analyst STAR review chairman, Cold Structures, Mounts, TRF GE Aircraft Engines 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA Build B90 Col. H5 cube BK35-251 M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 513-592-0678 "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
KJ
kurt.jordan@comcast.net
Fri, Jul 9, 2021 3:17 PM

Hi Dan, we have used 42 for composite L-flange analysis (through the
thickness shear and tension investigations) before but I think there are
limitations. CSYS does work with plane42 with for example aatt,1,1,1,xx, or
CSYS and EMOD, and you can verify it by plotting the element CSYS (
/psym,csys,1). But this is only for in-the-plane of the element. We use this
to insure all elements have an consistent axis normal to the layers ( call
it X ) when for example laminated an L-flange ( two straights and a corner
radius). This becomes your through the thickness axis and the element Y and
the Z are your in-plane fiber directions. Then orthotropic properties are
input, what it seems like you are asking is to control the angle of the
layer in the YZ, but you cannot control a coordinate system in the Z with a
2d element. A fabric is best characterized with orthotropic properties, you
just need to develop those on the bias if it is laminates with the +/-45
going around the flange.

Kurt Jordan
JCI
242 Evergreen Ave.
Mill Valley, CA 94941
415-259-9000

[...]

Hi Dan, we have used 42 for composite L-flange analysis (through the thickness shear and tension investigations) before but I think there are limitations. CSYS does work with plane42 with for example aatt,1,1,1,xx, or CSYS and EMOD, and you can verify it by plotting the element CSYS ( /psym,csys,1). But this is only for in-the-plane of the element. We use this to insure all elements have an consistent axis normal to the layers ( call it X ) when for example laminated an L-flange ( two straights and a corner radius). This becomes your through the thickness axis and the element Y and the Z are your in-plane fiber directions. Then orthotropic properties are input, what it seems like you are asking is to control the angle of the layer in the YZ, but you cannot control a coordinate system in the Z with a 2d element. A fabric is best characterized with orthotropic properties, you just need to develop those on the bias if it is laminates with the +/-45 going around the flange. Kurt Jordan JCI 242 Evergreen Ave. Mill Valley, CA 94941 415-259-9000 -----Original Message----- From: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> Sent: Friday, July 9, 2021 7:04 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk Subject: [Xansys] Re: FW: Calling all laminated composite structures analysts - Can I model a layered composite in a 2D plane stress model? For clarity - I am trying to do a plane stress with thickness model. -----Original Message----- From: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> Sent: Friday, July 9, 2021 7:12 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk Subject: EXT: [Xansys] FW: Calling all laminated composite structures analysts - Can I model a layered composite in a 2D plane stress model? Hi All, Not sure who to ask - so please excuse the broadcast message. Looking to model some simple flanges (back-to-back) as 2D plane stress - PLANE42 elements (or 182's). I'm thinking of modeling each ply layer as a row of elements. I'm a little stuck on the fact that with those elements I cannot change the element coordinate systems at will to orient a 45 degree woven fabric ply - where the fiber direction would be out of the element plane. The PLANE182 implies ESYS can be used but I've had no luck with ESYS or EMOD Is there a different element type I should be using? Another option I've considered is it I can get the physical properties (E PR G) of the fabric ply in the 45 degree direction and call that Ey. IN other words don't change the element coordinate system - change the Ex Ey Ez I input for the material. Really trying to avoid going 3D with this problem - going 3D just to get ply by ply material property input seems overboard. Supporting some part shipments so the whole project is time sensitive. Thanks in advance, Dan Bohlen Senior/ SSt Engineer, Stress Analyst STAR review chairman, Cold Structures, Mounts, TRF GE Aircraft Engines 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA Build B90 Col. H5 cube BK35-251 M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 513-592-0678 "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list