Inertia relief bug

BD
Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US)
Mon, Nov 27, 2023 3:39 PM

Hi All,

Not sure how well documented this is, but we found it here ourselves.  The way inertia relief is calculated (IRLF command) changes from version to version.  Depending on the version the accelerations calculated can be 2X the correct amount.

Simply put here's the fix....

irlf,-1
psolve,elform
!psolve,elprep ! if ansys v172/182 are used, this line needs to be activated.
irlist

Dan Bohlen
Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis
STAR review chairman, military structures
NGP2 engine focal
GE Aerospace
1 Neumann Way
Evendale, OH  45215  USA

Build B90 Column  L 3.75
M/D H358  Cell  513-917-3402

Building 200  Desk Phone 3-8816

GE FOCUS:  Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost

"In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming

Hi All, Not sure how well documented this is, but we found it here ourselves. The way inertia relief is calculated (IRLF command) changes from version to version. Depending on the version the accelerations calculated can be 2X the correct amount. Simply put here's the fix.... irlf,-1 psolve,elform !psolve,elprep ! if ansys v172/182 are used, this line needs to be activated. irlist Dan Bohlen Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis STAR review chairman, military structures NGP2 engine focal GE Aerospace 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA Build B90 Column L 3.75 M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 Building 200 Desk Phone 3-8816 GE FOCUS: Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming
BR
Bhaveshkumar Rameshchandra Varia
Wed, Nov 29, 2023 6:26 AM

Dear Ansys Experts,

I wanted to understand underlying interface treatment during Adjust to Touch in frictional contact. The contact and the target surfaces are at an angle, initially, as shown below,

Contact Surface ---->  |    /    <------ Target Surface.
|  /
|/

In my model, the Contact Surface is slightly angled towards Target Surface. The bottom edge of the target surface is connected to the Contact Surface. The angle is very low that the distance between the contact surface and target surface is less than 0.1 mm till 50 mm away from conjunction point. The overall length of the surface is 150mm.

While applying the load the contact surface is moving up and side to make the contacts with target surface.  The goal is to get the contact surface area (heat transfer) and the pressure.

I want to understand,

  • if I select Adjust to touch (along with nodal normal to target detection) in above contacts, will it assume all nodes in connected between contact and target elements?
  • If I implement pinball radius will it help?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Varia B.

Bhaveshkumar Rameshchandra Varia
Engineer I - R&D
Technology Development & Transfer
Midstream

T +971 2 509 444
<BR>D +97148221034
<BR>M  +971543924196

Emirates Global Aluminium
PO Box 109111, Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates

www.ega.ae

This is an e-mail from Emirates Global Aluminium PJSC. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than its intended recipient, nor may it be copied in any way. If received in error please e-mail a reply to the sender and delete it from your system. Although this e-mail has been scanned for viruses, Emirates Global Aluminium cannot ultimately accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any).

Dear Ansys Experts, I wanted to understand underlying interface treatment during Adjust to Touch in frictional contact. The contact and the target surfaces are at an angle, initially, as shown below, | / | / | / Contact Surface ----> | / <------ Target Surface. | / |/ | | | In my model, the Contact Surface is slightly angled towards Target Surface. The bottom edge of the target surface is connected to the Contact Surface. The angle is very low that the distance between the contact surface and target surface is less than 0.1 mm till 50 mm away from conjunction point. The overall length of the surface is 150mm. While applying the load the contact surface is moving up and side to make the contacts with target surface. The goal is to get the contact surface area (heat transfer) and the pressure. I want to understand, - if I select Adjust to touch (along with nodal normal to target detection) in above contacts, will it assume all nodes in connected between contact and target elements? - If I implement pinball radius will it help? Thanks in Advance. Regards Varia B. Bhaveshkumar Rameshchandra Varia Engineer I - R&D Technology Development & Transfer Midstream T +971 2 509 444 <BR>D +97148221034 <BR>M +971543924196 Emirates Global Aluminium PO Box 109111, Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates www.ega.ae ________________________________ This is an e-mail from Emirates Global Aluminium PJSC. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than its intended recipient, nor may it be copied in any way. If received in error please e-mail a reply to the sender and delete it from your system. Although this e-mail has been scanned for viruses, Emirates Global Aluminium cannot ultimately accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any).
TR
Testi Riccardo
Wed, Nov 29, 2023 7:46 AM

Dear Mr. Varia,
I think the "Adjust to touch" option moves the contact surface towards the target surface. The applied displacement is the smallest needed make the contact surface touch the target one. So I think that only the target surface's bottom node will touch the contact surface as a result of the "Adjust to touch" option. So I think that option is good for your modelling purpose.

Best regards
Riccardo Testi

Development and Strategies
2 Wheeler Engines Technical Centre
Piaggio & C. S.p.A
Viale Rinaldo Piaggio, 25
56025 Pontedera (Pisa) - ITALY
Phone:  +39 0587 272850
Fax:        +39 0587 272010
Mobile: +39 339 7241918
CAUTION:This email originated from outside the Piaggio Group. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

https://urlsand.esvalabs.com/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ega.ae&e=6e97a7e3&h=8b436256&f=y&p=y

This is an e-mail from Emirates Global Aluminium PJSC. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than its intended recipient, nor may it be copied in any way. If received in error please e-mail a reply to the sender and delete it from your system. Although this e-mail has been scanned for viruses, Emirates Global Aluminium cannot ultimately accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any).

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Dear Mr. Varia, I think the "Adjust to touch" option moves the contact surface towards the target surface. The applied displacement is the smallest needed make the contact surface touch the target one. So I think that only the target surface's bottom node will touch the contact surface as a result of the "Adjust to touch" option. So I think that option is good for your modelling purpose. Best regards Riccardo Testi --- Development and Strategies 2 Wheeler Engines Technical Centre Piaggio & C. S.p.A Viale Rinaldo Piaggio, 25 56025 Pontedera (Pisa) - ITALY Phone: +39 0587 272850 Fax: +39 0587 272010 Mobile: +39 339 7241918 E-mail: riccardo.testi@piaggio.com -----Original Message----- From: Bhaveshkumar Rameshchandra Varia via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: mercoledì 29 novembre 2023 07:26 To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: Bhaveshkumar Rameshchandra Varia <bhavaria@ega.ae> Subject: [Xansys] Frictional Contacts - Quick Help Needed CAUTION:This email originated from outside the Piaggio Group. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Dear Ansys Experts, I wanted to understand underlying interface treatment during Adjust to Touch in frictional contact. The contact and the target surfaces are at an angle, initially, as shown below, | / | / | / Contact Surface ----> | / <------ Target Surface. | / |/ | | | In my model, the Contact Surface is slightly angled towards Target Surface. The bottom edge of the target surface is connected to the Contact Surface. The angle is very low that the distance between the contact surface and target surface is less than 0.1 mm till 50 mm away from conjunction point. The overall length of the surface is 150mm. While applying the load the contact surface is moving up and side to make the contacts with target surface. The goal is to get the contact surface area (heat transfer) and the pressure. I want to understand, - if I select Adjust to touch (along with nodal normal to target detection) in above contacts, will it assume all nodes in connected between contact and target elements? - If I implement pinball radius will it help? Thanks in Advance. Regards Varia B. Bhaveshkumar Rameshchandra Varia Engineer I - R&D Technology Development & Transfer Midstream T +971 2 509 444 <BR>D +97148221034 <BR>M +971543924196 Emirates Global Aluminium PO Box 109111, Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates https://urlsand.esvalabs.com/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ega.ae&e=6e97a7e3&h=8b436256&f=y&p=y ________________________________ This is an e-mail from Emirates Global Aluminium PJSC. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than its intended recipient, nor may it be copied in any way. If received in error please e-mail a reply to the sender and delete it from your system. Although this e-mail has been scanned for viruses, Emirates Global Aluminium cannot ultimately accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any). _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
BR
Bhaveshkumar Rameshchandra Varia
Wed, Nov 29, 2023 11:28 AM

Thank you, Mr. Riccardo Testi,

Appreciate you for your quick response ! In Post process, the results make sense, how it slides.

> [...]

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

This is an e-mail from Emirates Global Aluminium PJSC. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than its intended recipient, nor may it be copied in any way. If received in error please e-mail a reply to the sender and delete it from your system. Although this e-mail has been scanned for viruses, Emirates Global Aluminium cannot ultimately accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any).

Thank you, Mr. Riccardo Testi, Appreciate you for your quick response ! In Post process, the results make sense, how it slides. Regards Varia B. Bhaveshkumar Rameshchandra Varia Engineer I - R&D Technology Development & Transfer Midstream T +971 2 509 444 <BR>D +97148221034 <BR>M +971543924196 Emirates Global Aluminium PO Box 109111, Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates www.ega.ae -----Original Message----- From: Testi Riccardo <riccardo.testi@piaggio.com> Sent: Wednesday, 29 November 2023 11:47 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: [Xansys] Re: Frictional Contacts - Quick Help Needed CAUTION : External email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Dear Mr. Varia, I think the "Adjust to touch" option moves the contact surface towards the target surface. The applied displacement is the smallest needed make the contact surface touch the target one. So I think that only the target surface's bottom node will touch the contact surface as a result of the "Adjust to touch" option. So I think that option is good for your modelling purpose. Best regards Riccardo Testi --- Development and Strategies 2 Wheeler Engines Technical Centre Piaggio & C. S.p.A Viale Rinaldo Piaggio, 25 56025 Pontedera (Pisa) - ITALY Phone: +39 0587 272850 Fax: +39 0587 272010 Mobile: +39 339 7241918 E-mail: riccardo.testi@piaggio.com -----Original Message----- From: Bhaveshkumar Rameshchandra Varia via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: mercoledì 29 novembre 2023 07:26 To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: Bhaveshkumar Rameshchandra Varia <bhavaria@ega.ae> Subject: [Xansys] Frictional Contacts - Quick Help Needed CAUTION:This email originated from outside the Piaggio Group. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Dear Ansys Experts, I wanted to understand underlying interface treatment during Adjust to Touch in frictional contact. The contact and the target surfaces are at an angle, initially, as shown below, | / | / | / Contact Surface ----> | / <------ Target Surface. | / |/ | | | In my model, the Contact Surface is slightly angled towards Target Surface. The bottom edge of the target surface is connected to the Contact Surface. The angle is very low that the distance between the contact surface and target surface is less than 0.1 mm till 50 mm away from conjunction point. The overall length of the surface is 150mm. While applying the load the contact surface is moving up and side to make the contacts with target surface. The goal is to get the contact surface area (heat transfer) and the pressure. I want to understand, - if I select Adjust to touch (along with nodal normal to target detection) in above contacts, will it assume all nodes in connected between contact and target elements? - If I implement pinball radius will it help? Thanks in Advance. Regards Varia B. Bhaveshkumar Rameshchandra Varia Engineer I - R&D Technology Development & Transfer Midstream T +971 2 509 444 <BR>D +97148221034 <BR>M +971543924196 Emirates Global Aluminium PO Box 109111, Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates https://urlsand.esvalabs.com/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ega.ae&e=6e97a7e3&h=8b436256&f=y&p=y ________________________________ This is an e-mail from Emirates Global Aluminium PJSC. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than its intended recipient, nor may it be copied in any way. If received in error please e-mail a reply to the sender and delete it from your system. Although this e-mail has been scanned for viruses, Emirates Global Aluminium cannot ultimately accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any). _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list ________________________________ This is an e-mail from Emirates Global Aluminium PJSC. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than its intended recipient, nor may it be copied in any way. If received in error please e-mail a reply to the sender and delete it from your system. Although this e-mail has been scanned for viruses, Emirates Global Aluminium cannot ultimately accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any).