ANSYS News Magazine - Friday Fun Topic

AR
Alfieri, Richard
Fri, Jul 8, 2022 6:15 PM

While packing for an office move, I came across some old ANSYS News Magazines.  The oldest I have is 1st Issue-1989 and it was mostly about the 4th International ANSYS conference in Pittsburgh.

How analysis has changed since then.  There were "Large Model Benchmarks" with Version 4.2 with models up to 6,000 Elements!  Also a comparison of a VAX11/780 to a few models of PC's (with the blazing 20MHz 80387 Processor).

Rich Alfieri
Senior Staff Mechanical Engineer
Philips Home Healthcare Solutions

While packing for an office move, I came across some old ANSYS News Magazines. The oldest I have is 1st Issue-1989 and it was mostly about the 4th International ANSYS conference in Pittsburgh. How analysis has changed since then. There were "Large Model Benchmarks" with Version 4.2 with models up to 6,000 Elements! Also a comparison of a VAX11/780 to a few models of PC's (with the blazing 20MHz 80387 Processor). Rich Alfieri Senior Staff Mechanical Engineer Philips Home Healthcare Solutions ________________________________ The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
ML
Martin Liddle
Fri, Jul 8, 2022 6:45 PM

On 08/07/2022 19:15, Alfieri, Richard via Xansys wrote:

While packing for an office move, I came across some old ANSYS News Magazines.  The oldest I have is 1st Issue-1989 and it was mostly about the 4th International ANSYS conference in Pittsburgh.

How analysis has changed since then.  There were "Large Model Benchmarks" with Version 4.2 with models up to 6,000 Elements!  Also a comparison of a VAX11/780 to a few models of PC's (with the blazing 20MHz 80387 Processor).

I remember those days; I started off running ANSYS on various time
sharing services and as a batch service on an IBM mainframe in the late
1970s.  Both were expensive and had long turn round times so we were
quite early adopters when ANSYS became available on a PC.  I think the
first PC we used had a 286 processor and and an additional paged memory
card.  It would run 2D analyses reasonably well.  For a while I would
get the ANSYS UK agent technical support people ringing me up for help
with questions about running ANSYS on a PC.

As soon as 386 processors and the 80387 co-processor were available at a
reasonable price we upgraded and it was a major step forward.  I was
able to build and run a fairly detailed non-linear model of a crane hook
(which ANSYS subsequently used as an image for several years).  It took
about 10 days of continuous running to get the results but when we did
they were very satisfactory and at last we were able to make money out
of offering ANSYS analysis services.

--
Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services,
Chesterfield, Derbyshire, UK.

On 08/07/2022 19:15, Alfieri, Richard via Xansys wrote: > While packing for an office move, I came across some old ANSYS News Magazines. The oldest I have is 1st Issue-1989 and it was mostly about the 4th International ANSYS conference in Pittsburgh. > > How analysis has changed since then. There were "Large Model Benchmarks" with Version 4.2 with models up to 6,000 Elements! Also a comparison of a VAX11/780 to a few models of PC's (with the blazing 20MHz 80387 Processor). > I remember those days; I started off running ANSYS on various time sharing services and as a batch service on an IBM mainframe in the late 1970s. Both were expensive and had long turn round times so we were quite early adopters when ANSYS became available on a PC. I think the first PC we used had a 286 processor and and an additional paged memory card. It would run 2D analyses reasonably well. For a while I would get the ANSYS UK agent technical support people ringing me up for help with questions about running ANSYS on a PC. As soon as 386 processors and the 80387 co-processor were available at a reasonable price we upgraded and it was a major step forward. I was able to build and run a fairly detailed non-linear model of a crane hook (which ANSYS subsequently used as an image for several years). It took about 10 days of continuous running to get the results but when we did they were very satisfactory and at last we were able to make money out of offering ANSYS analysis services. -- Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, UK. www.tynecomp.co.uk
JJ
James Johnson (EC)
Fri, Jul 8, 2022 7:00 PM

"ANSYS conference in Pittsburgh"... I LOVED THESE.  What do we get now???  Zoom calls, ugh.

I started using Ansys in 1998 and I attended an APDL training class for a couple days leading up to the conference... taught by John Swanson!  He was a fabulous teacher and I remember laughing pretty hard at all his anecdotes.  By this time I'm sure he was a very wealthy man and was teaching the class for the sheer joy of it.

I think that was the conference when my wife traveled with me.  We were both in our mid-twenties with no responsibilities.  I snuck her into all of the ballroom lunches as my "co-worker".  She's from Korea, so we decided that if she got any difficult FEA questions then she would feign broken English and I would answer for her.

Good Times!
James Johnson
Parker Hannifin Corporation

[...]

https://urldefense.com/v3/http://www.tynecomp.co.uk;!!PhQDkBqkFGE!noOw9DnYE0AHJpfHvz5cZi3aGp_KnhU54dmmTlwkhm6EeWf_QoxdUEnpYqXGRvpAlLCHSgFCS-bdSPAtyOzfVw$

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

"ANSYS conference in Pittsburgh"... I LOVED THESE. What do we get now??? Zoom calls, ugh. I started using Ansys in 1998 and I attended an APDL training class for a couple days leading up to the conference... taught by John Swanson! He was a fabulous teacher and I remember laughing pretty hard at all his anecdotes. By this time I'm sure he was a very wealthy man and was teaching the class for the sheer joy of it. I think that was the conference when my wife traveled with me. We were both in our mid-twenties with no responsibilities. I snuck her into all of the ballroom lunches as my "co-worker". She's from Korea, so we decided that if she got any difficult FEA questions then she would feign broken English and I would answer for her. Good Times! James Johnson Parker Hannifin Corporation -----Original Message----- From: Martin Liddle <xansys05@tynecomp.co.uk> Sent: Friday, July 8, 2022 2:46 PM To: xansys-temp@list.xansys.org Subject: [EXT] [Xansys] Re: ANSYS News Magazine - Friday Fun Topic On 08/07/2022 19:15, Alfieri, Richard via Xansys wrote: > While packing for an office move, I came across some old ANSYS News Magazines. The oldest I have is 1st Issue-1989 and it was mostly about the 4th International ANSYS conference in Pittsburgh. > > How analysis has changed since then. There were "Large Model Benchmarks" with Version 4.2 with models up to 6,000 Elements! Also a comparison of a VAX11/780 to a few models of PC's (with the blazing 20MHz 80387 Processor). > I remember those days; I started off running ANSYS on various time sharing services and as a batch service on an IBM mainframe in the late 1970s. Both were expensive and had long turn round times so we were quite early adopters when ANSYS became available on a PC. I think the first PC we used had a 286 processor and and an additional paged memory card. It would run 2D analyses reasonably well. For a while I would get the ANSYS UK agent technical support people ringing me up for help with questions about running ANSYS on a PC. As soon as 386 processors and the 80387 co-processor were available at a reasonable price we upgraded and it was a major step forward. I was able to build and run a fairly detailed non-linear model of a crane hook (which ANSYS subsequently used as an image for several years). It took about 10 days of continuous running to get the results but when we did they were very satisfactory and at last we were able to make money out of offering ANSYS analysis services. -- Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, UK. https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.tynecomp.co.uk__;!!PhQDkBqkFGE!noOw9DnYE0AHJpfHvz5cZi3aGp_KnhU54dmmTlwkhm6EeWf_QoxdUEnpYqXGRvpAlLCHSgFCS-bdSPAtyOzfVw$ _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
MO
Metin Ozen
Fri, Jul 8, 2022 7:13 PM

The first conference I attended was in 1985; I believe it was the second annual Ansys conference. I presented a paper showing results from a simulation where I had to use PREP6 to expand the load into Fourier series (Yes, there used to be a Prep6 in addition to Prep7). Then I attended every single Ansys conference after that and I was also in the same class that Dr. Swanson taught the APDL class in 1998; I knew that was a very special class; one for the memories even back then...

Metin Ozen, Ph.D., ASME Fellow
Principal/CEO
Ozen Engineering, Inc. - Ansys Elite Channel Partner
America's Channel Partner of the Year: 2015, 2018, 2021
Phone: 800-832-3767  Email: metin@ozeninc.com
1210 E Arques Ave., #207, Sunnyvale, CA 94085

[...]

The first conference I attended was in 1985; I believe it was the second annual Ansys conference. I presented a paper showing results from a simulation where I had to use PREP6 to expand the load into Fourier series (Yes, there used to be a Prep6 in addition to Prep7). Then I attended every single Ansys conference after that and I was also in the same class that Dr. Swanson taught the APDL class in 1998; I knew that was a very special class; one for the memories even back then... Metin Ozen, Ph.D., ASME Fellow Principal/CEO Ozen Engineering, Inc. - Ansys Elite Channel Partner   America's Channel Partner of the Year: 2015, 2018, 2021 Phone: 800-832-3767  Email: metin@ozeninc.com  1210 E Arques Ave., #207, Sunnyvale, CA 94085     -----Original Message----- From: James Johnson (EC) via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Friday, July 8, 2022 12:00 PM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: James Johnson (EC) <jajohnson@parker.com> Subject: [Xansys] Re: [EXT] Re: ANSYS News Magazine - Friday Fun Topic "ANSYS conference in Pittsburgh"... I LOVED THESE. What do we get now??? Zoom calls, ugh. I started using Ansys in 1998 and I attended an APDL training class for a couple days leading up to the conference... taught by John Swanson! He was a fabulous teacher and I remember laughing pretty hard at all his anecdotes. By this time I'm sure he was a very wealthy man and was teaching the class for the sheer joy of it. I think that was the conference when my wife traveled with me. We were both in our mid-twenties with no responsibilities. I snuck her into all of the ballroom lunches as my "co-worker". She's from Korea, so we decided that if she got any difficult FEA questions then she would feign broken English and I would answer for her. Good Times! James Johnson Parker Hannifin Corporation -----Original Message----- From: Martin Liddle <xansys05@tynecomp.co.uk> Sent: Friday, July 8, 2022 2:46 PM To: xansys-temp@list.xansys.org Subject: [EXT] [Xansys] Re: ANSYS News Magazine - Friday Fun Topic On 08/07/2022 19:15, Alfieri, Richard via Xansys wrote: > While packing for an office move, I came across some old ANSYS News Magazines. The oldest I have is 1st Issue-1989 and it was mostly about the 4th International ANSYS conference in Pittsburgh. > > How analysis has changed since then. There were "Large Model Benchmarks" with Version 4.2 with models up to 6,000 Elements! Also a comparison of a VAX11/780 to a few models of PC's (with the blazing 20MHz 80387 Processor). > I remember those days; I started off running ANSYS on various time sharing services and as a batch service on an IBM mainframe in the late 1970s. Both were expensive and had long turn round times so we were quite early adopters when ANSYS became available on a PC. I think the first PC we used had a 286 processor and and an additional paged memory card. It would run 2D analyses reasonably well. For a while I would get the ANSYS UK agent technical support people ringing me up for help with questions about running ANSYS on a PC. As soon as 386 processors and the 80387 co-processor were available at a reasonable price we upgraded and it was a major step forward. I was able to build and run a fairly detailed non-linear model of a crane hook (which ANSYS subsequently used as an image for several years). It took about 10 days of continuous running to get the results but when we did they were very satisfactory and at last we were able to make money out of offering ANSYS analysis services. -- Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, UK. https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.tynecomp.co.uk__;!!PhQDkBqkFGE!noOw9DnYE0AHJpfHvz5cZi3aGp_KnhU54dmmTlwkhm6EeWf_QoxdUEnpYqXGRvpAlLCHSgFCS-bdSPAtyOzfVw$ _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
AR
Alfieri, Richard
Fri, Jul 8, 2022 8:03 PM

I first used ANSYS 4.x in the late 1980's on a VAX mini computer.  I think it was the VAX11/780 that was referenced in the magazine.  I remember training classes in Washington, PA (I think I remember the office being in a residential neighborhood?) and also an ANSYS reseller in the NE United States, maybe CAE Associates.

Caution: This e-mail originated from outside of Philips, be careful for phishing.

[...]

https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tynecomp.co.uk%2F&data=05%7C01%7C%7Cde547e78bc944238e2c508da61128ab6%7C1a407a2d76754d178692b3ac285306e4%7C0%7C0%7C637929029512438647%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=MEKyY%2FrcSV9igxL14b2iV8V2F8st%2Bxd5bM%2FamvMLayI%3D&reserved=0

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

I first used ANSYS 4.x in the late 1980's on a VAX mini computer. I think it was the VAX11/780 that was referenced in the magazine. I remember training classes in Washington, PA (I think I remember the office being in a residential neighborhood?) and also an ANSYS reseller in the NE United States, maybe CAE Associates. -----Original Message----- From: Martin Liddle <xansys05@tynecomp.co.uk> Sent: Friday, July 8, 2022 2:46 PM To: xansys-temp@list.xansys.org Subject: [Xansys] Re: ANSYS News Magazine - Friday Fun Topic Caution: This e-mail originated from outside of Philips, be careful for phishing. On 08/07/2022 19:15, Alfieri, Richard via Xansys wrote: > While packing for an office move, I came across some old ANSYS News Magazines. The oldest I have is 1st Issue-1989 and it was mostly about the 4th International ANSYS conference in Pittsburgh. > > How analysis has changed since then. There were "Large Model Benchmarks" with Version 4.2 with models up to 6,000 Elements! Also a comparison of a VAX11/780 to a few models of PC's (with the blazing 20MHz 80387 Processor). > I remember those days; I started off running ANSYS on various time sharing services and as a batch service on an IBM mainframe in the late 1970s. Both were expensive and had long turn round times so we were quite early adopters when ANSYS became available on a PC. I think the first PC we used had a 286 processor and and an additional paged memory card. It would run 2D analyses reasonably well. For a while I would get the ANSYS UK agent technical support people ringing me up for help with questions about running ANSYS on a PC. As soon as 386 processors and the 80387 co-processor were available at a reasonable price we upgraded and it was a major step forward. I was able to build and run a fairly detailed non-linear model of a crane hook (which ANSYS subsequently used as an image for several years). It took about 10 days of continuous running to get the results but when we did they were very satisfactory and at last we were able to make money out of offering ANSYS analysis services. -- Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, UK. https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tynecomp.co.uk%2F&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%7Cde547e78bc944238e2c508da61128ab6%7C1a407a2d76754d178692b3ac285306e4%7C0%7C0%7C637929029512438647%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=MEKyY%2FrcSV9igxL14b2iV8V2F8st%2Bxd5bM%2FamvMLayI%3D&amp;reserved=0 _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list ________________________________ The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
CW
Christopher Wright
Sat, Jul 9, 2022 3:12 AM

On Jul 8, 2022, at 1:45 PM, Martin Liddle xansys05@tynecomp.co.uk wrote:

I remember those days; I started off running ANSYS on various time sharing services and as a batch service on an IBM mainframe in the late 1970s.

I started that way only with a CDC remote service. First really significant problem was a rectangular opening in a cylindrical shell subject to internal pressure. Hard coded elements and nodes and god alone knows how many check runs made--over night of course, with debugging from flatbed plots. Took about two weeks to finish the report, which was all composed and edited by hand. Turns out that non-uniform deformations rendered the opening  impossible to seal, but unfortunately no one really believed the results—ANSYS was so revolutionary that no one figured that the results could beat 'engineering judgment.'

I tried a problem like it years later one hot summer evening including all the graphics and nice tidy results summaries running remotely with my first Mac using a TEK/DEC emulator. Line speed to get results summaries was glacial, but much faster than commuting. And it gave me time to fetch a lager and crack it open.

Christopher Wright P.E. (ret'd) |"They couldn't hit an elephant at
chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.

On Jul 8, 2022, at 1:45 PM, Martin Liddle <xansys05@tynecomp.co.uk> wrote: > I remember those days; I started off running ANSYS on various time sharing services and as a batch service on an IBM mainframe in the late 1970s. I started that way only with a CDC remote service. First really significant problem was a rectangular opening in a cylindrical shell subject to internal pressure. Hard coded elements and nodes and god alone knows how many check runs made--over night of course, with debugging from flatbed plots. Took about two weeks to finish the report, which was all composed and edited by hand. Turns out that non-uniform deformations rendered the opening impossible to seal, but unfortunately no one really believed the results—ANSYS was so revolutionary that no one figured that the results could beat 'engineering judgment.' I tried a problem like it years later one hot summer evening including all the graphics and nice tidy results summaries running remotely with my first Mac using a TEK/DEC emulator. Line speed to get results summaries was glacial, but much faster than commuting. And it gave me time to fetch a lager and crack it open. Christopher Wright P.E. (ret'd) |"They couldn't hit an elephant at chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen. | John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania (1864)