Problem with mnf file generation in WB

PJ
Patterson, James
Wed, Oct 9, 2024 3:02 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to create a flex body for use in ADAMS via the "ADAMS.mac" macro in ANSYS WB 2024R1.  It's a large messy model from a customer, meshed with solid elements and lots of bonded contact, that I've been wrestling with for a bit.  I think I'm getting closer, but keep getting an error near the end about a mismatch in the number of modes calculated vs. those requested...

*** ERROR ***                          CP =    4810.016  TIME= 10:49:20
The number of modes expected (299) does not match the number found
(287).  Most likely, the model has errors or there were more modes
requested than exist.  Please review the prior modal solution for
warnings.

There are 49 Remote Points in the model for future attachments in ADAMS.  Seems like I've seen this error before, with my normal shell models in Classic, but can't see what's causing it here.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

[cid:image001.png@01DB1A3A.5CA3B6E0]
James J. Patterson, PhD.
Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer
Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems
2070 Industrial Place S.E.  Canton, OH 44707
ph. 330 489 0095  |  fax 330 489 1961
jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.commailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com
www.hendrickson-intl.com
[cid:image002.gif@01DB1A3A.5CA3B6E0]

The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author.

[...]
TR
Testi Riccardo
Mon, Oct 14, 2024 7:25 AM

Dear Mr. Patterson,
have the remote points the "rigid" formulation? The "deformable" one does not often work in conjunction with the ADAMS macro.
Have you checked the bonded contacts' behavior with a dummy modal analysis, clamping the remote point? That analysis' purpose is to check the dummy structural continuity at the bonded contacts is not lost. Sometimes that happened to me.
Have you abided by the golden rule, as for the number of normal modes nn? nn>ns, where ns is the number of static nodes, that is, 6*ni, where ni is the number of interface node?
Are the remote points scoped to areas involved in bonded contacts too? That can be risky.

Best regards
Riccardo Testi

Development and Strategies
2 Wheeler Engines Technical Centre
Piaggio & C. S.p.A
Viale Rinaldo Piaggio, 25
56025 Pontedera (Pisa) - ITALY
Phone:  +39 0587 272850
Fax:        +39 0587 272010
Mobile: +39 339 7241918
CAUTION:This email originated from outside the Piaggio Group. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

https://urlsand.esvalabs.com/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hendrickson-intl.com&e=6e97a7e3&h=fdf0b464&f=y&p=y
[cid:image002.gif@01DB1A3A.5CA3B6E0]

The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author.

Dear Mr. Patterson, have the remote points the "rigid" formulation? The "deformable" one does not often work in conjunction with the ADAMS macro. Have you checked the bonded contacts' behavior with a dummy modal analysis, clamping the remote point? That analysis' purpose is to check the dummy structural continuity at the bonded contacts is not lost. Sometimes that happened to me. Have you abided by the golden rule, as for the number of normal modes nn? nn>ns, where ns is the number of static nodes, that is, 6*ni, where ni is the number of interface node? Are the remote points scoped to areas involved in bonded contacts too? That can be risky. Best regards Riccardo Testi --- Development and Strategies 2 Wheeler Engines Technical Centre Piaggio & C. S.p.A Viale Rinaldo Piaggio, 25 56025 Pontedera (Pisa) - ITALY Phone: +39 0587 272850 Fax: +39 0587 272010 Mobile: +39 339 7241918 E-mail: riccardo.testi@piaggio.com -----Original Message----- From: Patterson, James via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Wednesday, October 9, 2024 5:03 PM To: xansys-temp@list.xansys.org Cc: Patterson, James <jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> Subject: [Xansys] Problem with mnf file generation in WB CAUTION:This email originated from outside the Piaggio Group. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Hi, I'm trying to create a flex body for use in ADAMS via the "ADAMS.mac" macro in ANSYS WB 2024R1. It's a large messy model from a customer, meshed with solid elements and lots of bonded contact, that I've been wrestling with for a bit. I think I'm getting closer, but keep getting an error near the end about a mismatch in the number of modes calculated vs. those requested... *** ERROR *** CP = 4810.016 TIME= 10:49:20 The number of modes expected (299) does not match the number found (287). Most likely, the model has errors or there were more modes requested than exist. Please review the prior modal solution for warnings. There are 49 Remote Points in the model for future attachments in ADAMS. Seems like I've seen this error before, with my normal shell models in Classic, but can't see what's causing it here. Any ideas? Thanks, Jim [cid:image001.png@01DB1A3A.5CA3B6E0] James J. Patterson, PhD. Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems 2070 Industrial Place S.E. Canton, OH 44707 ph. 330 489 0095 | fax 330 489 1961 jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> https://urlsand.esvalabs.com/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hendrickson-intl.com&e=6e97a7e3&h=fdf0b464&f=y&p=y [cid:image002.gif@01DB1A3A.5CA3B6E0] The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author.
PJ
Patterson, James
Tue, Oct 15, 2024 11:44 AM

Found the issue…

The mesh is pretty course in this model.  I have some Remote Points located to match the bolt pattern of a component I want to attach in ADAMS.  Turns out the beam elements created for some of the RPs was extending over to an adjacent RP.  This was messing with the process.  I adjusted the mesh so this didn’t happen and it sailed right along.

Thanks for the responses and ideas,

Jim

[cid:image001.png@01DB1ED6.1F663C30]

E-mail:    riccardo.testi@piaggio.commailto:riccardo.testi@piaggio.com

jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.commailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com%3cmailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com>

https://urldefense.com/v3/https://urlsand.esvalabs.com/?u=http3A2F*2Fwww.hendrickson-intl.com&e=6e97a7e3&h=fdf0b464&f=y&p=y;JSUl!!HXcklc0VomgEZw!68b3awtvcmvWVdSaqlbkrEiqbTkRJ_StB2JF_5WoaN6hjlxlC5HG0nKAtg4W3_KfAshOZ6wv3KJBU7CWg3aJsnwxnmTbJcXBzFA$https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/urlsand.esvalabs.com/?u=http*3A*2F*2Fwww.hendrickson-intl.com&e=6e97a7e3&h=fdf0b464&f=y&p=y__;JSUl!!HXcklc0VomgEZw!68b3awtvcmvWVdSaqlbkrEiqbTkRJ_StB2JF_5WoaN6hjlxlC5HG0nKAtg4W3_KfAshOZ6wv3KJBU7CWg3aJsnwxnmTbJcXBzFA$

                                                     [cid:image002.gif@01DB1A3A.5CA3B6E0]

The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author.

If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day.

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.ukmailto:xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Found the issue… The mesh is pretty course in this model. I have some Remote Points located to match the bolt pattern of a component I want to attach in ADAMS. Turns out the beam elements created for some of the RPs was extending over to an adjacent RP. This was messing with the process. I adjusted the mesh so this didn’t happen and it sailed right along. Thanks for the responses and ideas, Jim [cid:image001.png@01DB1ED6.1F663C30] James J. Patterson, PhD. Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems 2070 Industrial Place S.E. Canton, OH 44707 ph. 330 489 0095 | fax 330 489 1961 jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> www.hendrickson-intl.com [cid:image002.gif@01DB1ED6.1F663C30] From: Testi Riccardo via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Monday, October 14, 2024 3:25 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: Testi Riccardo <riccardo.testi@piaggio.com> Subject: [Xansys] Re: Problem with mnf file generation in WB Dear Mr. Patterson, have the remote points the "rigid" formulation? The "deformable" one does not often work in conjunction with the ADAMS macro. Have you checked the bonded contacts' behavior with a dummy modal analysis, clamping the remote Dear Mr. Patterson, have the remote points the "rigid" formulation? The "deformable" one does not often work in conjunction with the ADAMS macro. Have you checked the bonded contacts' behavior with a dummy modal analysis, clamping the remote point? That analysis' purpose is to check the dummy structural continuity at the bonded contacts is not lost. Sometimes that happened to me. Have you abided by the golden rule, as for the number of normal modes nn? nn>ns, where ns is the number of static nodes, that is, 6*ni, where ni is the number of interface node? Are the remote points scoped to areas involved in bonded contacts too? That can be risky. Best regards Riccardo Testi --- Development and Strategies 2 Wheeler Engines Technical Centre Piaggio & C. S.p.A Viale Rinaldo Piaggio, 25 56025 Pontedera (Pisa) - ITALY Phone: +39 0587 272850 Fax: +39 0587 272010 Mobile: +39 339 7241918 E-mail: riccardo.testi@piaggio.com<mailto:riccardo.testi@piaggio.com> -----Original Message----- From: Patterson, James via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org<mailto:xansys-temp@list.xansys.org>> Sent: Wednesday, October 9, 2024 5:03 PM To: xansys-temp@list.xansys.org<mailto:xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: Patterson, James <jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com>> Subject: [Xansys] Problem with mnf file generation in WB CAUTION:This email originated from outside the Piaggio Group. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Hi, I'm trying to create a flex body for use in ADAMS via the "ADAMS.mac" macro in ANSYS WB 2024R1. It's a large messy model from a customer, meshed with solid elements and lots of bonded contact, that I've been wrestling with for a bit. I think I'm getting closer, but keep getting an error near the end about a mismatch in the number of modes calculated vs. those requested... *** ERROR *** CP = 4810.016 TIME= 10:49:20 The number of modes expected (299) does not match the number found (287). Most likely, the model has errors or there were more modes requested than exist. Please review the prior modal solution for warnings. There are 49 Remote Points in the model for future attachments in ADAMS. Seems like I've seen this error before, with my normal shell models in Classic, but can't see what's causing it here. Any ideas? Thanks, Jim [cid:image001.png@01DB1A3A.5CA3B6E0] James J. Patterson, PhD. Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems 2070 Industrial Place S.E. Canton, OH 44707 ph. 330 489 0095 | fax 330 489 1961 jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com%3cmailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://urlsand.esvalabs.com/?u=http*3A*2F*2Fwww.hendrickson-intl.com&e=6e97a7e3&h=fdf0b464&f=y&p=y__;JSUl!!HXcklc0VomgEZw!68b3awtvcmvWVdSaqlbkrEiqbTkRJ_StB2JF_5WoaN6hjlxlC5HG0nKAtg4W3_KfAshOZ6wv3KJBU7CWg3aJsnwxnmTbJcXBzFA$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/urlsand.esvalabs.com/?u=http*3A*2F*2Fwww.hendrickson-intl.com&e=6e97a7e3&h=fdf0b464&f=y&p=y__;JSUl!!HXcklc0VomgEZw!68b3awtvcmvWVdSaqlbkrEiqbTkRJ_StB2JF_5WoaN6hjlxlC5HG0nKAtg4W3_KfAshOZ6wv3KJBU7CWg3aJsnwxnmTbJcXBzFA$> [cid:image002.gif@01DB1A3A.5CA3B6E0] The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author. _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org<mailto:xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org<mailto:xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org> If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk<mailto:xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk> and not to the list