Re: Problem with mnf file generation in WB

MV
Mitch Voehl
Thu, Oct 10, 2024 6:39 AM

Could it be constraint equations created by the bonded contact and/or Remote Points that are causing the problem?  Which bonded contact formulation are you using?

--
Mitch Voehl
CEO and Engineering Consultant

Summit Analysis, Inc.
78748 410th Ave
Lakefield, MN 56150

651-287-2360
www.summitanalysis.com

Specializing in the use of ANSYS (R) finite element analysis software

On 10/09/2024 10:02 AM CDT Patterson, James via Xansys xansys-temp@list.xansys.org wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to create a flex body for use in ADAMS via the "ADAMS.mac" macro in ANSYS WB 2024R1.  It's a large messy model from a customer, meshed with solid elements and lots of bonded contact, that I've been wrestling with for a bit.  I think I'm getting closer, but keep getting an error near the end about a mismatch in the number of modes calculated vs. those requested...

*** ERROR ***                          CP =    4810.016  TIME= 10:49:20
The number of modes expected (299) does not match the number found
(287).  Most likely, the model has errors or there were more modes
requested than exist.  Please review the prior modal solution for
warnings.

There are 49 Remote Points in the model for future attachments in ADAMS.  Seems like I've seen this error before, with my normal shell models in Classic, but can't see what's causing it here.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

[cid:image001.png@01DB1A3A.5CA3B6E0]
James J. Patterson, PhD.
Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer
Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems
2070 Industrial Place S.E.  Canton, OH 44707
ph. 330 489 0095  |  fax 330 489 1961
jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.commailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com
www.hendrickson-intl.com
[cid:image002.gif@01DB1A3A.5CA3B6E0]

The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author.

If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day.

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Could it be constraint equations created by the bonded contact and/or Remote Points that are causing the problem? Which bonded contact formulation are you using? -- Mitch Voehl CEO and Engineering Consultant Summit Analysis, Inc. 78748 410th Ave Lakefield, MN 56150 651-287-2360 www.summitanalysis.com Specializing in the use of ANSYS (R) finite element analysis software > On 10/09/2024 10:02 AM CDT Patterson, James via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> wrote: > > > Hi, > > I'm trying to create a flex body for use in ADAMS via the "ADAMS.mac" macro in ANSYS WB 2024R1. It's a large messy model from a customer, meshed with solid elements and lots of bonded contact, that I've been wrestling with for a bit. I think I'm getting closer, but keep getting an error near the end about a mismatch in the number of modes calculated vs. those requested... > > *** ERROR *** CP = 4810.016 TIME= 10:49:20 > The number of modes expected (299) does not match the number found > (287). Most likely, the model has errors or there were more modes > requested than exist. Please review the prior modal solution for > warnings. > > There are 49 Remote Points in the model for future attachments in ADAMS. Seems like I've seen this error before, with my normal shell models in Classic, but can't see what's causing it here. Any ideas? > > Thanks, > > Jim > > > > [cid:image001.png@01DB1A3A.5CA3B6E0] > James J. Patterson, PhD. > Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer > Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems > 2070 Industrial Place S.E. Canton, OH 44707 > ph. 330 489 0095 | fax 330 489 1961 > jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> > www.hendrickson-intl.com > [cid:image002.gif@01DB1A3A.5CA3B6E0] > > > The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author. > _______________________________________________ > Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org > To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org > If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > > Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
PJ
Patterson, James
Fri, Oct 11, 2024 11:47 AM

Mitch,

Thanks for the reply.

The contact formulation is on “Program controlled”.  Looking in the file.cnm that’s generated, it looks like it chose MPC.  Thoughts on a specific formulation?

What’s odd is I can run this model with fewer RPs and get it to solve with no complaints.  Once I get in the 20’s or so for the number of RPs, I get the mode mismatch message.  I really thought this must be a memory issue, but I’m running on a machine with 1TB.

Currently working with tech support, but no progress…

Thanks,

Jim

[cid:image001.png@01DB1BB1.C73A7520]

https://urldefense.com/v3/http://www.summitanalysis.com;!!HXcklc0VomgEZw!_dooyTmFieYwRRAw_qRL9qajc9-FRMh28-eIWRMpajvlZi4xsWucJx7g3aptW1J35B-abY2yIKZ8xnOoPYV1oK9FAgdMbLKtagQ$https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.summitanalysis.com__;!!HXcklc0VomgEZw!_dooyTmFieYwRRAw_qRL9qajc9-FRMh28-eIWRMpajvlZi4xsWucJx7g3aptW1J35B-abY2yIKZ8xnOoPYV1oK9FAgdMbLKtagQ$

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.ukmailto:xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day.

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.ukmailto:xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Mitch, Thanks for the reply. The contact formulation is on “Program controlled”. Looking in the file.cnm that’s generated, it looks like it chose MPC. Thoughts on a specific formulation? What’s odd is I can run this model with fewer RPs and get it to solve with no complaints. Once I get in the 20’s or so for the number of RPs, I get the mode mismatch message. I really thought this must be a memory issue, but I’m running on a machine with 1TB. Currently working with tech support, but no progress… Thanks, Jim [cid:image001.png@01DB1BB1.C73A7520] James J. Patterson, PhD. Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems 2070 Industrial Place S.E. Canton, OH 44707 ph. 330 489 0095 | fax 330 489 1961 jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> www.hendrickson-intl.com [cid:image002.gif@01DB1BB1.C73A7520] From: Mitch Voehl via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2024 2:39 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: Mitch Voehl <mitchpublic@voehl.us> Subject: [Xansys] Re: Problem with mnf file generation in WB Could it be constraint equations created by the bonded contact and/or Remote Points that are causing the problem? Which bonded contact formulation are you using? -- Mitch Voehl CEO and Engineering Consultant Summit Analysis, Inc. 78748 410th Could it be constraint equations created by the bonded contact and/or Remote Points that are causing the problem? Which bonded contact formulation are you using? -- Mitch Voehl CEO and Engineering Consultant Summit Analysis, Inc. 78748 410th Ave Lakefield, MN 56150 651-287-2360 https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.summitanalysis.com__;!!HXcklc0VomgEZw!_dooyTmFieYwRRAw_qRL9qajc9-FRMh28-eIWRMpajvlZi4xsWucJx7g3aptW1J35B-abY2yIKZ8xnOoPYV1oK9FAgdMbLKtagQ$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.summitanalysis.com__;!!HXcklc0VomgEZw!_dooyTmFieYwRRAw_qRL9qajc9-FRMh28-eIWRMpajvlZi4xsWucJx7g3aptW1J35B-abY2yIKZ8xnOoPYV1oK9FAgdMbLKtagQ$> Specializing in the use of ANSYS (R) finite element analysis software > On 10/09/2024 10:02 AM CDT Patterson, James via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org<mailto:xansys-temp@list.xansys.org>> wrote: > > > Hi, > > I'm trying to create a flex body for use in ADAMS via the "ADAMS.mac" macro in ANSYS WB 2024R1. It's a large messy model from a customer, meshed with solid elements and lots of bonded contact, that I've been wrestling with for a bit. I think I'm getting closer, but keep getting an error near the end about a mismatch in the number of modes calculated vs. those requested... > > *** ERROR *** CP = 4810.016 TIME= 10:49:20 > The number of modes expected (299) does not match the number found > (287). Most likely, the model has errors or there were more modes > requested than exist. Please review the prior modal solution for > warnings. > > There are 49 Remote Points in the model for future attachments in ADAMS. Seems like I've seen this error before, with my normal shell models in Classic, but can't see what's causing it here. Any ideas? > > Thanks, > > Jim > > > > [cid:image001.png@01DB1A3A.5CA3B6E0] > James J. Patterson, PhD. > Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer > Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems > 2070 Industrial Place S.E. Canton, OH 44707 > ph. 330 489 0095 | fax 330 489 1961 > jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com%3cmailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com>> > http://www.hendrickson-intl.com > [cid:image002.gif@01DB1A3A.5CA3B6E0] > > > The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author. > _______________________________________________ > Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org<mailto:xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> > To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org<mailto:xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org> > If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > > Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk<mailto:xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk> and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org<mailto:xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org<mailto:xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org> If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk<mailto:xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk> and not to the list