Plotting a graph using APDL commands

SB
shravani.bojja@saueressig.com
Wed, Jul 12, 2023 8:16 AM

Hello Ansys experts,

Is it possible to plot a graph with varying X-values and varying Y-values using APDL commands in the same graph? I tried with *VPLOT (*VPLOTParXParYY2Y3Y4Y5Y6Y7Y8) , however this command provides a graph with same X-values for different Y-values.

For exampl: If I consider two sets of data in an excel, I can plot two curves in the same graph (please see the attachment). Is there any possibility in Ansys to do the same using APDL commands? I am trying to plot a graph between stress and strain values for different design points and compare them.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Shravani Bojja
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING

[cid:image001.png@01D99FA9.34DE65E0]

http://www.saueressig.comhttp://www.saueressig.com/
Matthews International GmbH | Gutenbergstraße 1-3 | 48691 Vreden | Germany
A SAUERESSIG Group brand

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message, together with any attachments, is intended only for the addressee. It may contain information which is proprietary, confidential, legally privileged and/or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, use, or any action or reliance on this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message, along with any attachments.

Attached image

Hello Ansys experts, Is it possible to plot a graph with varying X-values and varying Y-values using APDL commands in the same graph? I tried with \*VPLOT (**\*VPLOT**, *`ParX`*, *`ParY`*, *`Y2`*, *`Y3`*, *`Y4`*, *`Y5`*, *`Y6`*, *`Y7`*, *`Y8`*) , however this command provides a graph with same X-values for different Y-values. For exampl: If I consider two sets of data in an excel, I can plot two curves in the same graph (please see the attachment). Is there any possibility in Ansys to do the same using APDL commands? I am trying to plot a graph between stress and strain values for different design points and compare them. Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards Shravani Bojja\ MECHANICAL ENGINEERING \[cid:[image001.png@01D99FA9.34DE65E0](mailto:image001.png@01D99FA9.34DE65E0)\] [http://www.saueressig.comhttp://www.saueressig.com/](http://www.saueressig.com/)\ Matthews International GmbH | Gutenbergstraße 1-3 | 48691 Vreden | Germany\ A SAUERESSIG Group brand CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message, together with any attachments, is intended only for the addressee. It may contain information which is proprietary, confidential, legally privileged and/or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, use, or any action or reliance on this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message, along with any attachments. [![Attached image](https://list.xansys.org/empathy/image/734118/200 "image001.png")](https://list.xansys.org/empathy/attachment/734118)
MG
Mohammad Gharaibeh
Wed, Jul 12, 2023 2:40 PM

As far as I understand here is my comment.

Suppose you have:

Vector vecx (represents the x-axis values - let’s say strain)
Vector vecy1 (the first variable as function of x - stresses of material 1)
Vector vecy2 (the second variable as function of x - stresses of material
2).

It is important to mention that the length of all vector must be the same.

If you want stress-strain curves of material 1 and 2 on the same 2D graph,
then: *vplot,vecx,vecy1,vecy2 should do the trick.

Hope this helps!
MG

--

---====
Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D.

---====

As far as I understand here is my comment. Suppose you have: Vector vecx (represents the x-axis values - let’s say strain) Vector vecy1 (the first variable as function of x - stresses of material 1) Vector vecy2 (the second variable as function of x - stresses of material 2). It is important to mention that the length of all vector must be the same. If you want stress-strain curves of material 1 and 2 on the same 2D graph, then: *vplot,vecx,vecy1,vecy2 should do the trick. Hope this helps! MG -- ===================================== Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D. Associate Professor Department of Mechanical Engineering The Hashemite University P.O. Box 330127 Zarqa, 13133, Jordan Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771 Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348 =====================================
CW
Christopher Wright
Wed, Jul 12, 2023 7:15 PM

On Jul 12, 2023, at 3:16 AM, shravani.bojja@saueressig.com wrote:

Is it possible to plot a graph with varying X-values and varying Y-values using APDL commands in the same graph? I tried with *VPLOT (*VPLOT, ParX, ParY, Y2, Y3, Y4, Y5, Y6, Y7, Y8) , however this command provides a graph with same X-values for different Y-values.

I did a lot of fiddling around with ANSYS plot formatting commands and my over-riding conclusion was to let ANSYS crunch numbers and to declutter and display results EXCEL.The main reason was that I usually needed to include results in a nicely formatted report that wouldn't confuse people with all the clutter found on ANSYS plots. Nice thing about using EXCEL is that it imports into MS Word documents easily making for clean reports. There are lots of variations on the process—I used a Mac to write reports and ran ANSYS (my preference) with a terminal emulator that let me import and declutter results very easily and quickly.

C—
chrisw@skypoint.com
——
We are the Village Green Preservation Society.
God save Donald Duck, vaudeville and variety.
We are the Desperate Dan Appreciation Society.
God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties.

On Jul 12, 2023, at 3:16 AM, shravani.bojja@saueressig.com wrote: > Is it possible to plot a graph with varying X-values and varying Y-values using APDL commands in the same graph? I tried with \*VPLOT (**\*VPLOT**, *`ParX`*, *`ParY`*, *`Y2`*, *`Y3`*, *`Y4`*, *`Y5`*, *`Y6`*, *`Y7`*, *`Y8`*) , however this command provides a graph with same X-values for different Y-values. I did a lot of fiddling around with ANSYS plot formatting commands and my over-riding conclusion was to let ANSYS crunch numbers and to declutter and display results EXCEL.The main reason was that I usually needed to include results in a nicely formatted report that wouldn't confuse people with all the clutter found on ANSYS plots. Nice thing about using EXCEL is that it imports into MS Word documents easily making for clean reports. There are lots of variations on the process—I used a Mac to write reports and ran ANSYS (my preference) with a terminal emulator that let me import and declutter results very easily and quickly. C— chrisw@skypoint.com —— We are the Village Green Preservation Society. God save Donald Duck, vaudeville and variety. We are the Desperate Dan Appreciation Society. God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties.
SB
shravani.bojja@saueressig.com
Thu, Jul 13, 2023 6:24 AM

Dear Mohammad A Gharaibeh,

your suggestion works when there are same X-values (for example strain) and different Y-values(for example stresses of material 1 and material 2), but my requirement is a bit different. *VPLOT is useful when the curves are plotted for different ordinate values against a single abscissa. i.e., the X-values doesn’t change and only the Y-values change based on different columns in an array (if a multiple columns array is considered).

But I would like to know if we can plot a graph with different sets of X and Y values, where X-values and Y-values both changes. These X and Y values are obtained differently for each design point. As an example for the requirement, please refer the attached screenshot.

[...]

Dear Mohammad A Gharaibeh, your suggestion works when there are same X-values (for example strain) and different Y-values(for example stresses of material 1 and material 2), but my requirement is a bit different. \*VPLOT is useful when the curves are plotted for different ordinate values against a single abscissa. i.e., the X-values doesn’t change and only the Y-values change based on different columns in an array (if a multiple columns array is considered). But I would like to know if we can plot a graph with different sets of X and Y values, where X-values and Y-values both changes. These X and Y values are obtained differently for each design point. As an example for the requirement, please refer the attached screenshot. Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards Shravani Bojja\ MECHANICAL ENGINEERING \[cid:[image001.png@01D99FA9.34DE65E0](mailto:image001.png@01D99FA9.34DE65E0)\] [http://www.saueressig.comhttp://www.saueressig.com/](http://www.saueressig.com/)\ Matthews International GmbH | Gutenbergstraße 1-3 | 48691 Vreden | Germany\ A SAUERESSIG Group brand CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message, together with any attachments, is intended only for the addressee. It may contain information which is proprietary, confidential, legally privileged and/or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, use, or any action or reliance on this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message, along with any attachments. [![Attached image](https://list.xansys.org/empathy/image/734118/200 "image001.png")](https://list.xansys.org/empathy/attachment/734118)
MG
Mohammad Gharaibeh
Thu, Jul 13, 2023 7:35 AM

Well, I have never been so fond of ANSYS plots, with all due respect. That
is why I use MATLAB for my plots. I can play around with that conveniently.

Anyway, for your case, you might want to add (or place) the values of x2 in
your x1 vector and the corresponding y1 values to be kept blank. Do the
same thing by placing x1 in x2 vector with blank corresponding values in
y2. The idea here is to make x1 and x2 the same. I think it makes sense but
I am not sure if this works but it is worth a try.

Good Luck!

---====

http://www.saueressig.com/%5D(http://www.saueressig.com/)%5C
Matthews International GmbH | Gutenbergstraße 1-3 | 48691 Vreden | Germany
A SAUERESSIG Group brand

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message, together with any attachments, is
intended only for the addressee. It may contain information which is
proprietary, confidential, legally privileged and/or exempt from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, use, or any
action or reliance on this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete the message, along with any attachments.

Attached image

If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing
account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day.

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to
xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Well, I have never been so fond of ANSYS plots, with all due respect. That is why I use MATLAB for my plots. I can play around with that conveniently. Anyway, for your case, you might want to add (or place) the values of x2 in your x1 vector and the corresponding y1 values to be kept blank. Do the same thing by placing x1 in x2 vector with blank corresponding values in y2. The idea here is to make x1 and x2 the same. I think it makes sense but I am not sure if this works but it is worth a try. Good Luck! ===================================== Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D. Associate Professor Department of Mechanical Engineering The Hashemite University P.O. Box 330127 Zarqa, 13133, Jordan Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771 Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348 ===================================== On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 9:26 AM <shravani.bojja@saueressig.com> wrote: > Dear Mohammad A Gharaibeh, > > your suggestion works when there are same X-values (for example strain) > and different Y-values(for example stresses of material 1 and material 2), > but my requirement is a bit different. \*VPLOT is useful when the curves > are plotted for different ordinate values against a single abscissa. i.e., > the X-values doesn’t change and only the Y-values change based on different > columns in an array (if a multiple columns array is considered). > > But I would like to know if we can plot a graph with different sets of X > and Y values, where X-values and Y-values both changes. These X and Y > values are obtained differently for each design point. As an example for > the requirement, please refer the attached screenshot. > > Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards > > Shravani Bojja\ > MECHANICAL ENGINEERING > > \[cid:[image001.png@01D99FA9.34DE65E0](mailto: > image001.png@01D99FA9.34DE65E0)\] > > [http://www.saueressig.comhttp:// > www.saueressig.com/](http://www.saueressig.com/)\ > <http://www.saueressig.com/%5D(http://www.saueressig.com/)%5C> > Matthews International GmbH | Gutenbergstraße 1-3 | 48691 Vreden | Germany\ > A SAUERESSIG Group brand > > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message, together with any attachments, is > intended only for the addressee. It may contain information which is > proprietary, confidential, legally privileged and/or exempt from > disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are > hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, use, or any > action or reliance on this communication is strictly prohibited. If you > have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by > return e-mail and delete the message, along with any attachments. > > [![Attached image](https://list.xansys.org/empathy/image/734118/200 > "image001.png")](https://list.xansys.org/empathy/attachment/734118) > _______________________________________________ > Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org > To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org > If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing > account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > > Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to > xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
PJ
Patterson, James
Thu, Jul 13, 2023 2:30 PM

Not a direct solution maybe, but could you set both axes limits and then be clever with the “/NOERASE” command and make two plots on top of each other?

Thanks,

Jim

[cid:image001.png@01D9B575.09025850]
James J. Patterson, PhD.
Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer
Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems
2070 Industrial Place S.E.  Canton, OH 44707
ph. 330 489 0095  |  fax 330 489 1961
jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.commailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com
www.hendrickson-intl.com