L-2 Norm Error

BD
Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US)
Sun, Jun 5, 2022 7:32 PM

HI All,

Getting this error and have no clue what it is about:

*** ERROR ***
The L-2 norm of the residual force overflowed.  This may be caused by  PRE,ON or birth death elements.

I did turn PRE,OFF and deleted by birth death elements and still get the error.

The model runs fine in Ansys APDL 19.2 and I only get the error when I read in elastic plastic properties.....

BTW  I also get this error:

*** ERROR ****
TB,KINH table for material 2 at temperature ... has a tangent slope of its stress strain curve  (  )  greater than Ex  (  )

Funny part is I've used the same input file before for the E-P curve with no problem.  Maybe the errors are related?

Dan Bohlen
Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis
STAR review chairman, Cold Structures, Mounts
GE Aircraft Engines
1 Neumann Way
Evendale, OH  45215  USA

Build B90 Col. H5  cube BK35-251
M/D H358  Cell  513-917-3402

Building 200 Col. G3  cube BC088  Desk Phone 3-8816

"In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming

[...]
PS
Parameshwarayya S Mathapati
Mon, Jun 6, 2022 8:29 AM

Hi,

please have look on below link might give some info, might be some settings

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=196690

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022, 1:03 AM Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) <
dan.bohlen@ge.com> wrote:

[...]

If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing
account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day.

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to
xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Hi, please have look on below link might give some info, might be some settings https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=196690 On Mon, Jun 6, 2022, 1:03 AM Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) < dan.bohlen@ge.com> wrote: > HI All, > > Getting this error and have no clue what it is about: > > *** ERROR *** > The L-2 norm of the residual force overflowed. This may be caused by > PRE,ON or birth death elements. > > > > I did turn PRE,OFF and deleted by birth death elements and still get the > error. > > The model runs fine in Ansys APDL 19.2 and I only get the error when I > read in elastic plastic properties..... > > BTW I also get this error: > > *** ERROR **** > TB,KINH table for material 2 at temperature ... has a tangent slope of its > stress strain curve ( ) greater than Ex ( ) > > Funny part is I've used the same input file before for the E-P curve with > no problem. Maybe the errors are related? > > > > Dan Bohlen > Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis > STAR review chairman, Cold Structures, Mounts > GE Aircraft Engines > 1 Neumann Way > Evendale, OH 45215 USA > > Build B90 Col. H5 cube BK35-251 > M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 > > Building 200 Col. G3 cube BC088 Desk Phone 3-8816 > > "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming > > > _______________________________________________ > Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org > To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org > If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing > account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > > Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to > xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list >
CK
Charles Kurle
Mon, Jun 6, 2022 2:35 PM

We have also experienced this exact error when we moved from 19.5 to 20.2 on the same job. We have not pinpointed the exact cause, but we get around it by easing the loads more gradually and/or having more points in the load. Another error from the version difference was hanging on the first step. This reduced greatly (possibly gone) when we omitted msave,off in our input commands. We worked with Ansys on this within SR 11011331475.

Charles Kurle
BorgWarner Emissions, Thermal, and Turbo Systems
828-684-4012
ckurle@borgwarner.com
[...]

We have also experienced this exact error when we moved from 19.5 to 20.2 on the same job. We have not pinpointed the exact cause, but we get around it by easing the loads more gradually and/or having more points in the load. Another error from the version difference was hanging on the first step. This reduced greatly (possibly gone) when we omitted msave,off in our input commands. We worked with Ansys on this within SR 11011331475. ________________________________________ Charles Kurle BorgWarner Emissions, Thermal, and Turbo Systems 828-684-4012 ckurle@borgwarner.com Mail: P.O. Box 15075, Asheville, NC 28813 -----Original Message----- From: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> Sent: Sunday, June 5, 2022 15:32 To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: [Xansys] L-2 Norm Error HI All, Getting this error and have no clue what it is about: *** ERROR *** The L-2 norm of the residual force overflowed. This may be caused by PRE,ON or birth death elements. I did turn PRE,OFF and deleted by birth death elements and still get the error. The model runs fine in Ansys APDL 19.2 and I only get the error when I read in elastic plastic properties..... BTW I also get this error: *** ERROR **** TB,KINH table for material 2 at temperature ... has a tangent slope of its stress strain curve ( ) greater than Ex ( ) Funny part is I've used the same input file before for the E-P curve with no problem. Maybe the errors are related? Dan Bohlen Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis STAR review chairman, Cold Structures, Mounts GE Aircraft Engines 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA Build B90 Col. H5 cube BK35-251 M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 Building 200 Col. G3 cube BC088 Desk Phone 3-8816 "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list