[OT] Excel Function to Return Name of Sheet

MK
Mike Krawczyk
Fri, Nov 4, 2022 6:16 PM

Xansys - Does anyone know a way to obtain the names of sheets (tabs) in Excel using a numerical reference (1,2,3,4,...), without using a macro?  In other words, if the fourth sheet in my workbook is named "Mike", is there a function of the form "=FUNCTION(4)" that would output "Mike" for me?  Seems like such a simple thing, but I am having no luck searching for the answer in Excel help or the internet.

Mike Krawczyk
McCormick Stevenson Corp.
Clearwater, FL, USA

Xansys - Does anyone know a way to obtain the names of sheets (tabs) in Excel using a numerical reference (1,2,3,4,...), without using a macro? In other words, if the fourth sheet in my workbook is named "Mike", is there a function of the form "=FUNCTION(4)" that would output "Mike" for me? Seems like such a simple thing, but I am having no luck searching for the answer in Excel help or the internet. Mike Krawczyk McCormick Stevenson Corp. Clearwater, FL, USA
PJ
Patterson, James
Fri, Nov 4, 2022 6:29 PM

Create a blank excel file and name your tab “Mike”.  Save it somewhere.

Put this in cell A1...

=CELL("filename",A5)

Returns…

C:\Users\jpatterson\Documents[Book1.xlsx]Mike

Put this in cell A2…

=MID(CELL("filename",A5),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A5))+1,256)

Returns…

Mike

Thanks,

Jim

[cid:image001.png@01D8F059.D8052100]
James J. Patterson, PhD.
Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer
Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems
2070 Industrial Place S.E.  Canton, OH 44707
ph. 330 489 0095  |  fax 330 489 1961
jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.commailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com
www.hendrickson-intl.com