(APDL) Principal Mass solution from partial solution.

BD
Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US)
Wed, Jan 26, 2022 7:19 PM

Asking for a friend.....

I'm running Psolve,Elform just to get mass and CG for components in a model. For one of the components it sates"Principal Masses" and then gves Center of Mass Locations in mass principal axes and list what looks like directional vectors..

Can anyone tell me what "principal masses" are, and why psolve,elform does not give the typical "Center of Mass" X,Y,Z printout?

Thank you.

Dan Bohlen
Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis
STAR review chairman, Cold Structures, Mounts, TRF
GE Aircraft Engines
1 Neumann Way
Evendale, OH  45215  USA
Build B90 Col. H5  cube BK35-251
M/D H358  Cell  513-917-3402
Building 200 Col. G3  cube BC088

"In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming

Asking for a friend..... I'm running Psolve,Elform just to get mass and CG for components in a model. For one of the components it sates"Principal Masses" and then gves Center of Mass Locations in mass principal axes and list what looks like directional vectors.. Can anyone tell me what "principal masses" are, and why psolve,elform does not give the typical "Center of Mass" X,Y,Z printout? Thank you. Dan Bohlen Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis STAR review chairman, Cold Structures, Mounts, TRF GE Aircraft Engines 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA Build B90 Col. H5 cube BK35-251 M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 Building 200 Col. G3 cube BC088 "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming
KD
Keith DiRienz
Wed, Jan 26, 2022 7:30 PM

See Section 14.15.1 of the Theory Reference manual.

Keith DiRienz, PE
FEA Technologies
Dana Point, CA

At 11:19 AM 1/26/2022, you wrote:

Asking for a friend.....

I'm running Psolve,Elform just to get mass and CG for components in
a model. For one of the components it sates"Principal Masses" and
then gves Center of Mass Locations in mass principal axes and list
what looks like directional vectors..

Can anyone tell me what "principal masses" are, and why
psolve,elform does not give the typical "Center of Mass" X,Y,Z printout?

Thank you.

Dan Bohlen
Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis
STAR review chairman, Cold Structures, Mounts, TRF
GE Aircraft Engines
1 Neumann Way
Evendale, OH  45215  USA
Build B90 Col. H5  cube BK35-251
M/D H358  Cell  513-917-3402
Building 200 Col. G3  cube BC088

"In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming

If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider
changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single
email per day.

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to
xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Keith DiRienz, P.E.
FEA Technologies
Office: 949.481.4946
Cell: 949-910-7049 (New !)

See Section 14.15.1 of the Theory Reference manual. Keith DiRienz, PE FEA Technologies Dana Point, CA At 11:19 AM 1/26/2022, you wrote: >Asking for a friend..... > > >I'm running Psolve,Elform just to get mass and CG for components in >a model. For one of the components it sates"Principal Masses" and >then gves Center of Mass Locations in mass principal axes and list >what looks like directional vectors.. > >Can anyone tell me what "principal masses" are, and why >psolve,elform does not give the typical "Center of Mass" X,Y,Z printout? > >Thank you. > > >Dan Bohlen >Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis >STAR review chairman, Cold Structures, Mounts, TRF >GE Aircraft Engines >1 Neumann Way >Evendale, OH 45215 USA >Build B90 Col. H5 cube BK35-251 >M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 >Building 200 Col. G3 cube BC088 > >"In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming > > >_______________________________________________ >Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org >To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org >If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider >changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single >email per day. > >Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to >xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list Keith DiRienz, P.E. FEA Technologies Office: 949.481.4946 Cell: 949-910-7049 (New !)
CW
Christopher Wright
Thu, Jan 27, 2022 1:28 AM

On Jan 26, 2022, at 1:19 PM, Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) dan.bohlen@ge.com wrote:

Can anyone tell me what "principal masses" are, and why psolve,elform does not give the typical "Center of Mass" X,Y,Z printout?

Principal masses are calculated mass moments of inertia taken with respect to coordinate axes, called principle axes, which have zero cross-product (Ixy, Ixz, Iyz, etc.) values. Moments taken about principal axes of a plane section produce only motion or deformation in one direction. Likewise applied moments taken about the principle axes of a mass only produce rotation about the corresponding axis of rotation. Moments about non-principal axes produce rotation about both in-plane axes. For example if you were to apply a moment about one leg of a structural angle, you'd obtain rotation (and bending stress) about both legs of the angle.

I don't know what 'psolve,elform' means—I've never used it.If I were to guess I'd bet that it has to do with how ANSYS handles cross-products (Ixy, Ixz, Iyz)

Christopher Wright P.E. (ret'd) |"They couldn't hit an elephant at
chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.
http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/

> On Jan 26, 2022, at 1:19 PM, Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> wrote: > > Can anyone tell me what "principal masses" are, and why psolve,elform does not give the typical "Center of Mass" X,Y,Z printout? Principal masses are calculated mass moments of inertia taken with respect to coordinate axes, called principle axes, which have zero cross-product (Ixy, Ixz, Iyz, etc.) values. Moments taken about principal axes of a plane section produce only motion or deformation in one direction. Likewise applied moments taken about the principle axes of a mass only produce rotation about the corresponding axis of rotation. Moments about non-principal axes produce rotation about both in-plane axes. For example if you were to apply a moment about one leg of a structural angle, you'd obtain rotation (and bending stress) about both legs of the angle. I don't know what 'psolve,elform' means—I've never used it.If I were to guess I'd bet that it has to do with how ANSYS handles cross-products (Ixy, Ixz, Iyz) Christopher Wright P.E. (ret'd) |"They couldn't hit an elephant at chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen. | John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania (1864) http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/
MV
Mitch Voehl
Thu, Jan 27, 2022 5:50 AM

psolve,elform
Partial solve, perform element formation (element formation only, without solving the full system of equations).

--
Mitch Voehl
CEO and Engineering Consultant

Summit Analysis, Inc.
78748 410th Ave
Lakefield, MN 56150

651-287-2360
www.summitanalysis.com
Specializing in the use of ANSYS (R) finite element analysis software

On January 26, 2022 7:28 PM Christopher Wright chrisw@skypoint.com wrote:

On Jan 26, 2022, at 1:19 PM, Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) dan.bohlen@ge.com wrote:

Can anyone tell me what "principal masses" are, and why psolve,elform does not give the typical "Center of Mass" X,Y,Z printout?
Principal masses are calculated mass moments of inertia taken with respect to coordinate axes, called principle axes, which have zero cross-product (Ixy, Ixz, Iyz, etc.) values. Moments taken about principal axes of a plane section produce only motion or deformation in one direction. Likewise applied moments taken about the principle axes of a mass only produce rotation about the corresponding axis of rotation. Moments about non-principal axes produce rotation about both in-plane axes. For example if you were to apply a moment about one leg of a structural angle, you'd obtain rotation (and bending stress) about both legs of the angle.

I don't know what 'psolve,elform' means—I've never used it.If I were to guess I'd bet that it has to do with how ANSYS handles cross-products (Ixy, Ixz, Iyz)

Christopher Wright P.E. (ret'd) |"They couldn't hit an elephant at
chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.
| John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania (1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/

If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day.

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

psolve,elform Partial solve, perform element formation (element formation only, without solving the full system of equations). -- Mitch Voehl CEO and Engineering Consultant Summit Analysis, Inc. 78748 410th Ave Lakefield, MN 56150 651-287-2360 www.summitanalysis.com Specializing in the use of ANSYS (R) finite element analysis software > On January 26, 2022 7:28 PM Christopher Wright <chrisw@skypoint.com> wrote: > > > > On Jan 26, 2022, at 1:19 PM, Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> wrote: > > > > Can anyone tell me what "principal masses" are, and why psolve,elform does not give the typical "Center of Mass" X,Y,Z printout? > Principal masses are calculated mass moments of inertia taken with respect to coordinate axes, called principle axes, which have zero cross-product (Ixy, Ixz, Iyz, etc.) values. Moments taken about principal axes of a plane section produce only motion or deformation in one direction. Likewise applied moments taken about the principle axes of a mass only produce rotation about the corresponding axis of rotation. Moments about non-principal axes produce rotation about both in-plane axes. For example if you were to apply a moment about one leg of a structural angle, you'd obtain rotation (and bending stress) about both legs of the angle. > > I don't know what 'psolve,elform' means—I've never used it.If I were to guess I'd bet that it has to do with how ANSYS handles cross-products (Ixy, Ixz, Iyz) > > Christopher Wright P.E. (ret'd) |"They couldn't hit an elephant at > chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen. > | John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania (1864) > http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/ > > > > > > > > _______________________________________________ > Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org > To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org > If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > > Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
BD
Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US)
Thu, Jan 27, 2022 12:35 PM

Thanks.    Now to figure what that that section is saying!  😊

WARNING: This email originated from outside of GE. Please validate the sender's email address before clicking on links or attachments as they may not be safe.

At 11:19 AM 1/26/2022, you wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Now to figure what that that section is saying! 😊 -----Original Message----- From: Keith DiRienz <fea-technologies@cox.net> Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2022 2:30 PM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: EXT: [Xansys] Re: (APDL) Principal Mass solution from partial solution. WARNING: This email originated from outside of GE. Please validate the sender's email address before clicking on links or attachments as they may not be safe. See Section 14.15.1 of the Theory Reference manual. Keith DiRienz, PE FEA Technologies Dana Point, CA At 11:19 AM 1/26/2022, you wrote: >Asking for a friend..... > > >I'm running Psolve,Elform just to get mass and CG for components in a >model. For one of the components it sates"Principal Masses" and then >gves Center of Mass Locations in mass principal axes and list what >looks like directional vectors.. > >Can anyone tell me what "principal masses" are, and why psolve,elform >does not give the typical "Center of Mass" X,Y,Z printout? > >Thank you. > > >Dan Bohlen >Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis >STAR review chairman, Cold Structures, Mounts, TRF GE Aircraft Engines >1 Neumann Way >Evendale, OH 45215 USA >Build B90 Col. H5 cube BK35-251 >M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 >Building 200 Col. G3 cube BC088 > >"In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming > > >_______________________________________________ >Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send >an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too >many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to >Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > >Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to >xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list Keith DiRienz, P.E. FEA Technologies Office: 949.481.4946 Cell: 949-910-7049 (New !) _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
KD
Keith DiRienz
Thu, Jan 27, 2022 2:58 PM

Dan,
I was curious as well and found this online from NX Nastran documentation.

If scalar masses are used, the total mass may have different properties in each direction, and the center of gravity may not be a unique location. This effect is shown in the output by providing the direction and center of gravity for each of the three mass principal components.

When using directional mass, the axes about which the inertia matrix i[S]is calculated are referred to as the principal mass axes. The principal mass axes may not necessarily intersect. However, these axes provide uncoupled rotation and translation mass properties. If the structural model is constructed using only real masses, the three principal mass values printed out are equal, the center of gravity is unique, and the principal mass axes intersect at the center of gravity.

Copied from the following website.
http://www2.me.rochester.edu/courses/ME204/nx_help/index.html#uid:id471971

Keith DiRienz
FEA Technologies
Dana Point, CA

At 11:19 AM 1/26/2022, you wrote:

[...]

Dan, I was curious as well and found this online from NX Nastran documentation. If scalar masses are used, the total mass may have different properties in each direction, and the center of gravity may not be a unique location. This effect is shown in the output by providing the direction and center of gravity for each of the three mass principal components. When using directional mass, the axes about which the inertia matrix i[S]is calculated are referred to as the principal mass axes. The principal mass axes may not necessarily intersect. However, these axes provide uncoupled rotation and translation mass properties. If the structural model is constructed using only real masses, the three principal mass values printed out are equal, the center of gravity is unique, and the principal mass axes intersect at the center of gravity. Copied from the following website. http://www2.me.rochester.edu/courses/ME204/nx_help/index.html#uid:id471971 Keith DiRienz FEA Technologies Dana Point, CA > On Jan 27, 2022, at 4:35 AM, Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> wrote: > > Thanks. Now to figure what that that section is saying! 😊 > > -----Original Message----- > From: Keith DiRienz <fea-technologies@cox.net> > Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2022 2:30 PM > To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> > Subject: EXT: [Xansys] Re: (APDL) Principal Mass solution from partial solution. > > WARNING: This email originated from outside of GE. Please validate the sender's email address before clicking on links or attachments as they may not be safe. > > See Section 14.15.1 of the Theory Reference manual. > > Keith DiRienz, PE > FEA Technologies > Dana Point, CA > > > At 11:19 AM 1/26/2022, you wrote: >> Asking for a friend..... >> >> >> I'm running Psolve,Elform just to get mass and CG for components in a >> model. For one of the components it sates"Principal Masses" and then >> gves Center of Mass Locations in mass principal axes and list what >> looks like directional vectors.. >> >> Can anyone tell me what "principal masses" are, and why psolve,elform >> does not give the typical "Center of Mass" X,Y,Z printout? >> >> Thank you. >> >> >> Dan Bohlen >> Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis >> STAR review chairman, Cold Structures, Mounts, TRF GE Aircraft Engines >> 1 Neumann Way >> Evendale, OH 45215 USA >> Build B90 Col. H5 cube BK35-251 >> M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 >> Building 200 Col. G3 cube BC088 >> >> "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send >> an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too >> many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to >> Digest mode which will send a single email per day. >> >> Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to >> xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list > > Keith DiRienz, P.E. > FEA Technologies > Office: 949.481.4946 > Cell: 949-910-7049 (New !) > _______________________________________________ > Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > > Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list > _______________________________________________ > Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org > To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org > If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > > Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
CW
Christopher Wright
Fri, Jan 28, 2022 3:52 AM

On Jan 27, 2022, at 6:35 AM, Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) dan.bohlen@ge.com wrote:

Thanks.    Now to figure what that that section is saying!  😊

I've never been deeply involved in this but I think the math is roughly analogous to the stress tensor calculations. With a general stress state (3 normal stresses and 3 shearing stresses) taken with respect to some particular axes, it's possible to find an orientation where the shearing stresses become zero. I think you're looking at the same sort of thing here.If you can find an introductory  book on tensor analysis or a fancy book on advanced dynamics or stress analysis, it'll probably go into detail. I got into a little of that in school, but it was abstract enough so I never got what you'd call a 'feel' for it.

Christopher Wright P.E. (ret'd) |"They couldn't hit an elephant at
chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.
| John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania (1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/

> On Jan 27, 2022, at 6:35 AM, Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> wrote: > > Thanks. Now to figure what that that section is saying! 😊 I've never been deeply involved in this but I think the math is roughly analogous to the stress tensor calculations. With a general stress state (3 normal stresses and 3 shearing stresses) taken with respect to some particular axes, it's possible to find an orientation where the shearing stresses become zero. I think you're looking at the same sort of thing here.If you can find an introductory book on tensor analysis or a fancy book on advanced dynamics or stress analysis, it'll probably go into detail. I got into a little of that in school, but it was abstract enough so I never got what you'd call a 'feel' for it. Christopher Wright P.E. (ret'd) |"They couldn't hit an elephant at chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen. | John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania (1864) http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/
AP
Attar, Peter J.
Fri, Jan 28, 2022 3:52 PM

Hartog talks a bit about it in Chapter 7 (I think) in his book on Mechanics.

Peter Attar

Hartog talks a bit about it in Chapter 7 (I think) in his book on Mechanics. Peter Attar ________________________________________ From: Christopher Wright <chrisw@skypoint.com> Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2022 9:52 PM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home Subject: [Xansys] Re: (APDL) Principal Mass solution from partial solution. > On Jan 27, 2022, at 6:35 AM, Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> wrote: > > Thanks. Now to figure what that that section is saying! 😊 I've never been deeply involved in this but I think the math is roughly analogous to the stress tensor calculations. With a general stress state (3 normal stresses and 3 shearing stresses) taken with respect to some particular axes, it's possible to find an orientation where the shearing stresses become zero. I think you're looking at the same sort of thing here.If you can find an introductory book on tensor analysis or a fancy book on advanced dynamics or stress analysis, it'll probably go into detail. I got into a little of that in school, but it was abstract enough so I never got what you'd call a 'feel' for it. Christopher Wright P.E. (ret'd) |"They couldn't hit an elephant at chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen. | John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania (1864) http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/ _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list