Shell elements - thickness "placement" w.r.t. the meshed area

PJ
Patterson, James
Wed, Mar 29, 2023 12:47 PM

Good Morning,

I thought I had seen in years past a way to "place" or "offset" the thickness of a shell element.  By default, the thickness is "centered" on the meshed area, i.e., it is applied at the midsurface.  If I had a surface representing the bottom side of a plate  instead, could I shift/offset/place the properties toward the top?  I'm RTFM-ing the SHELL181 (& SHELL63!) help, but not seeing what I'm after.  Am I remembering this wrong?  Is this a layering issue?

Thanks,

Jim

[cid:image001.png@01D9621B.2915E4C0]
James J. Patterson, PhD.
Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer
Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems
2070 Industrial Place S.E.  Canton, OH 44707
ph. 330 489 0095  |  fax 330 489 1961
jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.commailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com
www.hendrickson-intl.com

The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author.

[...]
JM
Joe Metrisin
Wed, Mar 29, 2023 12:51 PM

Is SECOFFSET what you need?

Joseph T Metrisin
Structures Lead

Florida Turbine Technologies, Inc
1701 Military Tr. Suite 110 | Jupiter, FL 33458 USA
+1 (561) 427-6346 Office | +1 (772) 834-4156 Mobile
Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com

Visit our website: https://kratosdefense.com

Confidentiality Note:
The information contained in this transmission and any attachments are
proprietary and may be privileged, intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If
you received this communication in error, please delete the message and
immediately notify the sender via the contact information listed above.

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not
click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the
content is safe.

[...]

https://urldefense.com/v3/http://www.hendrickson-intl.com;!!KM6X6ZXWXVtZ
MQ!eKX3vVXPQuCofm4ATxLb4zNaJsO8QBNJ5DL2NFJlKwD8Hl8AM_j_w20wz1sfwqq7RkuP3Wipe
_hX6GVLPBIBc3xvwTw4SwRI1FA$

The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore,
if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading
it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable
privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of
the author.

Is SECOFFSET what you need? Joseph T Metrisin Structures Lead Florida Turbine Technologies, Inc 1701 Military Tr. Suite 110 | Jupiter, FL 33458 USA +1 (561) 427-6346 Office | +1 (772) 834-4156 Mobile Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com Visit our website: https://kratosdefense.com Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this transmission and any attachments are proprietary and may be privileged, intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you received this communication in error, please delete the message and immediately notify the sender via the contact information listed above. -----Original Message----- From: Patterson, James <jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2023 8:48 AM To: xansys-temp@list.xansys.org Subject: [External] - [Xansys] Shell elements - thickness "placement" w.r.t. the meshed area CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Good Morning, I thought I had seen in years past a way to "place" or "offset" the thickness of a shell element. By default, the thickness is "centered" on the meshed area, i.e., it is applied at the midsurface. If I had a surface representing the bottom side of a plate instead, could I shift/offset/place the properties toward the top? I'm RTFM-ing the SHELL181 (& SHELL63!) help, but not seeing what I'm after. Am I remembering this wrong? Is this a layering issue? Thanks, Jim [cid:image001.png@01D9621B.2915E4C0] James J. Patterson, PhD. Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems 2070 Industrial Place S.E. Canton, OH 44707 ph. 330 489 0095 | fax 330 489 1961 jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.hendrickson-intl.com__;!!KM6X6ZXWXVtZ MQ!eKX3vVXPQuCofm4ATxLb4zNaJsO8QBNJ5DL2NFJlKwD8Hl8AM_j_w20wz1sfwqq7RkuP3Wipe _hX6GVLPBIBc3xvwTw4SwRI1FA$ The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author.
IG
Iker Gomez
Wed, Mar 29, 2023 12:57 PM

You are looking for the SECOFFSET APDL command or , in ansys mechanical
there are specific options over the surface to offset the thickness from
the top or thr bottom (or any other combination)

El mié, 29 mar 2023 6:52, Patterson, James jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com
escribió:

[...]

If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing
account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day.

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to
xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

You are looking for the SECOFFSET APDL command or , in ansys mechanical there are specific options over the surface to offset the thickness from the top or thr bottom (or any other combination) El mié, 29 mar 2023 6:52, Patterson, James <jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> escribió: > Good Morning, > > I thought I had seen in years past a way to "place" or "offset" the > thickness of a shell element. By default, the thickness is "centered" on > the meshed area, i.e., it is applied at the midsurface. If I had a surface > representing the bottom side of a plate instead, could I > shift/offset/place the properties toward the top? I'm RTFM-ing the > SHELL181 (& SHELL63!) help, but not seeing what I'm after. Am I > remembering this wrong? Is this a layering issue? > > Thanks, > > Jim > > > > [cid:image001.png@01D9621B.2915E4C0] > James J. Patterson, PhD. > Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer > Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems > 2070 Industrial Place S.E. Canton, OH 44707 > ph. 330 489 0095 | fax 330 489 1961 > jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> > www.hendrickson-intl.com > > > The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. > Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it > without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive > any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without > the permission of the author. > _______________________________________________ > Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org > To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org > If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing > account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > > Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to > xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list