Results of symmetry based model - can we convert them to full model?

MG
Mohammad Gharaibeh
Mon, Jul 18, 2022 3:39 AM

Dear experts,

I’m working on a thermo-mechanical simulation of some power electronics
device. The loading is a thermal cycle with different dwell/ramp times. The
problem is highly non-linear. ANSYS Classic 2020R1 is being used.

Due to the symmetry of the problem, instead of building a model of the full
structure, I already created a symmetrical 1/4 model (with about 240K
elements) of the this structure. However, for validation purposes, we are
hoping to compare FEA transverse displacements results with those of the
experiments (digital image correlation- DIC) at different time instances.

I realize that comparing 1/4 FEA model to full structure DIC results won’t
be so beautiful. I mean, comparing an image of 1/4 model to a DIC image of
the full structure would be little uncomfortable.

Anyway, does ANSYS, in some graphical way, provide a mirroring option of
the results? Or, can I mirror the contour plots of the quarter model
“twice” to get them for a full model? That would be great!

I’m aware that a full model can be easily generated and solved. A couple of
VSYMM commands will do but I don’t want to execute very lengthy simulations
(240K times 4 = about 1M elements) as I have many cases to consider.

I hope that the description of the matter is clear.

Your suggestions/comments are highly appreciated.

Best,
Mohammad

Mohammad A Gharaibeh, PhD
Visiting Research Scientist
Institute of Microsystems Engineering
University of Freiburg
Germany

--

---====
Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D.

---====

[...]
CW
Christopher Wright
Mon, Jul 18, 2022 4:23 AM

On Jul 17, 2022, at 10:39 PM, Mohammad Gharaibeh via Xansys xansys-temp@list.xansys.org wrote:

Anyway, does ANSYS, in some graphical way, provide a mirroring option of
the results? Or, can I mirror the contour plots of the quarter model
“twice” to get them for a full model? That would be great!

Symmetry works great providing your geometry and loading are both symmetric. Is that the case? If one or the other isn't symmetric, then symmetric boundary conditions will be inescapably wrong. Check the 'help' instructions for the command syntax

Christopher Wright P.E. (ret'd) |"They couldn't hit an elephant at
chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.
| John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania (1864)

On Jul 17, 2022, at 10:39 PM, Mohammad Gharaibeh via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> wrote: > Anyway, does ANSYS, in some graphical way, provide a mirroring option of > the results? Or, can I mirror the contour plots of the quarter model > “twice” to get them for a full model? That would be great! Symmetry works great providing your geometry and loading are _both_ symmetric. Is that the case? If one or the other isn't symmetric, then symmetric boundary conditions will be inescapably wrong. Check the 'help' instructions for the command syntax Christopher Wright P.E. (ret'd) |"They couldn't hit an elephant at chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen. | John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania (1864)
KD
Keith DiRienz
Mon, Jul 18, 2022 4:43 AM

Mohammad,
Yes, Ansys classic has a command to do exactly what you want.
Look at the documentation for the /EXPAND command.

Keith DiRienz
FEA Technologies
Dana Point, CA

On 7/17/2022 8:39 PM, Mohammad Gharaibeh via Xansys wrote:

[...]

Mohammad, Yes, Ansys classic has a command to do exactly what you want. Look at the documentation for the /EXPAND command. Keith DiRienz FEA Technologies Dana Point, CA On 7/17/2022 8:39 PM, Mohammad Gharaibeh via Xansys wrote: > Dear experts, > > I’m working on a thermo-mechanical simulation of some power electronics > device. The loading is a thermal cycle with different dwell/ramp times. The > problem is highly non-linear. ANSYS Classic 2020R1 is being used. > > Due to the symmetry of the problem, instead of building a model of the full > structure, I already created a symmetrical 1/4 model (with about 240K > elements) of the this structure. However, for validation purposes, we are > hoping to compare FEA transverse displacements results with those of the > experiments (digital image correlation- DIC) at different time instances. > > I realize that comparing 1/4 FEA model to full structure DIC results won’t > be so beautiful. I mean, comparing an image of 1/4 model to a DIC image of > the full structure would be little uncomfortable. > > Anyway, does ANSYS, in some graphical way, provide a mirroring option of > the results? Or, can I mirror the contour plots of the quarter model > “twice” to get them for a full model? That would be great! > > I’m aware that a full model can be easily generated and solved. A couple of > VSYMM commands will do but I don’t want to execute very lengthy simulations > (240K times 4 = about 1M elements) as I have many cases to consider. > > I hope that the description of the matter is clear. > > Your suggestions/comments are highly appreciated. > > Best, > Mohammad > > — > Mohammad A Gharaibeh, PhD > Visiting Research Scientist > Institute of Microsystems Engineering > University of Freiburg > Germany > > >
MG
Mohammad Gharaibeh
Mon, Jul 18, 2022 4:44 AM

Yes, the problem is symmetric in terms of geometry, loading and boundary
conditions.

I am not questioning the fidelity of the analysis as I am just looking for
away to generate results of full model from a symmetry-based model.

Thanks!

--

---====
Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Hashemite University
P.O. Box 330127
Zarqa, 13133, Jordan
Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771
Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348

---====

Yes, the problem is symmetric in terms of geometry, loading and boundary conditions. I am not questioning the fidelity of the analysis as I am just looking for away to generate results of full model from a symmetry-based model. Thanks! -- ===================================== Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D. Associate Professor Department of Mechanical Engineering The Hashemite University P.O. Box 330127 Zarqa, 13133, Jordan Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771 Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348 =====================================
MG
Mohammad Gharaibeh
Mon, Jul 18, 2022 5:02 AM

Keith, you are the man!

This is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you very much!

On Monday, July 18, 2022, Keith DiRienz fea-technologies@cox.net wrote:

Mohammad,
Yes, Ansys classic has a command to do exactly what you want.
Look at the documentation for the /EXPAND command.

Keith DiRienz
FEA Technologies
Dana Point, CA

Mohammad A Gharaibeh, PhD
Visiting Research Scientist
Institute of Microsystems Engineering
University of Freiburg

--

---====
Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Hashemite University
P.O. Box 330127
Zarqa, 13133, Jordan
Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771
Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348

---====

Keith, you are the man! This is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you very much! On Monday, July 18, 2022, Keith DiRienz <fea-technologies@cox.net> wrote: > Mohammad, > Yes, Ansys classic has a command to do exactly what you want. > Look at the documentation for the /EXPAND command. > > Keith DiRienz > FEA Technologies > Dana Point, CA > > — >> Mohammad A Gharaibeh, PhD >> Visiting Research Scientist >> Institute of Microsystems Engineering >> University of Freiburg >> > -- ===================================== Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D. Associate Professor Department of Mechanical Engineering The Hashemite University P.O. Box 330127 Zarqa, 13133, Jordan Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771 Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348 =====================================
CW
Christopher Wright
Mon, Jul 18, 2022 5:15 AM

On Jul 17, 2022, at 11:44 PM, Mohammad Gharaibeh via Xansys xansys-temp@list.xansys.org wrote:

Yes, the problem is symmetric in terms of geometry, loading and boundary
conditions.

I am not questioning the fidelity of the analysis as I am just looking for
away to generate results of full model from a symmetry-based model.

Even though the results will be identical? (—again, provided both the loading and the geometry are truly symmetric.)

If you really want to show both halves you can use graphics software to generate a flipped plot of your results and move the two halves together, but it seems like a waste of time.

http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/ | John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania (1864)

> On Jul 17, 2022, at 11:44 PM, Mohammad Gharaibeh via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> wrote: > > Yes, the problem is symmetric in terms of geometry, loading and boundary > conditions. > > I am not questioning the fidelity of the analysis as I am just looking for > away to generate results of full model from a symmetry-based model. Even though the results will be identical? (—again, provided both the loading and the geometry are truly symmetric.) If you really want to show both halves you can use graphics software to generate a flipped plot of your results and move the two halves together, but it seems like a waste of time. Christopher Wright P.E. (ret'd) |"They couldn't hit an elephant at chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen. http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/ | John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania (1864)
RR
Ravi Ranjan
Mon, Jul 18, 2022 5:21 AM

Please check the /EXPAND command, if you are working in Mechanical workbench check this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RETzoXbbwBA. Please note this is s beta feature .

Yes, the problem is symmetric in terms of geometry, loading and boundary
conditions.

I am not questioning the fidelity of the analysis as I am just looking for
away to generate results of full model from a symmetry-based model.

Thanks!

--

---====
Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Hashemite University
P.O. Box 330127
Zarqa, 13133, Jordan
Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771
Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348

---====

If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day.

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Please check the /EXPAND command, if you are working in Mechanical workbench check this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RETzoXbbwBA. Please note this is s beta feature . ________________________________ From: Mohammad Gharaibeh via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Monday, July 18, 2022 10:14 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: Mohammad Gharaibeh <mgharai1@binghamton.edu> Subject: [Xansys] Re: Results of symmetry based model - can we convert them to full model? [This sender might be impersonating a domain that's associated with your organization. Learn why this could be a risk at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ] [External Sender] Yes, the problem is symmetric in terms of geometry, loading and boundary conditions. I am not questioning the fidelity of the analysis as I am just looking for away to generate results of full model from a symmetry-based model. Thanks! -- ===================================== Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D. Associate Professor Department of Mechanical Engineering The Hashemite University P.O. Box 330127 Zarqa, 13133, Jordan Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771 Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348 ===================================== _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list