[APDL] Generalized Plane Strain

LL
Lim Liang Ying
Wed, Sep 22, 2021 5:06 AM

Hi:

I am running a thermal mechanical analysis using plane 183 generalized
plane strain. Does anyone know if I can specify a constant thickness
in the z-direction and constraint it such that it can only displace by
the same amount (constant total strain in the z-direction)?

Regards
Lance Lim
PhD Candidate
University of Toronto
lancelim@mie.utoronto.ca

Hi: I am running a thermal mechanical analysis using plane 183 generalized plane strain. Does anyone know if I can specify a constant thickness in the z-direction and constraint it such that it can only displace by the same amount (constant total strain in the z-direction)? Regards Lance Lim PhD Candidate University of Toronto lancelim@mie.utoronto.ca
CA
Caba, Aaron (US)
Wed, Sep 22, 2021 12:47 PM

Lim,

I had a similar question a couple of months ago and the conclusion was that ANSYS would consider that a 3-D problem.  My workaround was to make a 1 (or 2) element thick model with 3-D solid brick elements then couple the z direction nodes so they move together.

If you are using Mechanical, you can add a named selection on the moving face and command snip to couple the nodes together:
cmsel,s,FacesZP,node
cp,next,uz,all
allsel

Aaron C. Caba, Ph.D.
Sr. Principal R&D Engineer
BAE Systems, Inc.
4050 Peppers Ferry Road, Radford VA 24143-0100
www.baesystems.com