[OT] Fracture Mechanics

CA
Caba, Aaron (US)
Tue, Dec 6, 2022 9:23 PM

In the past couple of months I've had the question of fracture come up.  Does anyone have a good, modern intro to fracture mechanics book or reference?  I downloaded the ANSYS tutorial, and can calculate Kc & J-integrals, but I need some guidance on how to interpret them.

Aaron C. Caba, Ph.D.
Sr. Principal R&D Engineer II
BAE Systems, Inc. | Ordnance Systems, Inc.

E-mail: aaron.caba@baesystems.com | Mail:  4050 Peppers Ferry Road, Radford VA 24143-0100
www.baesystems.com

In the past couple of months I've had the question of fracture come up. Does anyone have a good, modern intro to fracture mechanics book or reference? I downloaded the ANSYS tutorial, and can calculate Kc & J-integrals, but I need some guidance on how to interpret them. Aaron C. Caba, Ph.D. Sr. Principal R&D Engineer II BAE Systems, Inc. | Ordnance Systems, Inc. E-mail: aaron.caba@baesystems.com | Mail: 4050 Peppers Ferry Road, Radford VA 24143-0100 www.baesystems.com
BA
Baker, Alan (E&PS)
Wed, Dec 7, 2022 1:58 AM

For an undergrad introduction I've always been very partial to Bannantine et al. "Fundamentals of Metal Fatigue Analysis"

For a Master's level introduction, I love Dowling's "Mechanical Behavior of Materials."

Each of these covers other topics as indicated in their titles, but they do a good job of introducing fracture mechanics and crack growth analyses.

I think I detect some tongue-in-cheek but FYI that Dowling has only about 1 page on J-integrals (Bannantine none).

Alan Baker
Principal Engineer
Engine Systems & Component Analysis
Honeywell | Aerospace