Re: [External Email] FEA/FEM expert

AntonisΤ
Tue, Feb 21, 2023 7:38 AM

Okay then.
So basically the problem is this.
I have a honeycomb core and want to analyze its shear properties.
Experiments have been done according to the ASTM-C273 standards, which gave
us some results about the core. The ones that are of interest to me are the
buckling initiation of the walls, the elastic yield point, and the overall
shape of the buckled walls. We have the results from the experiments and
wanted to move on to creating a FEM/FEA of the same core and see if the
model will be in accordance with the experiments.

So I have created a model of the exact core ( Number of cells, material
properties) without the loading plates( to save computational cost), the
plates have been replaced by boundary conditions where the bottom is fixed
on UX,UY, UZ, and the top nodes create a rigid region (cerig Command) with
a master node to apply a displacement (as of the experiment which is
displacement controlled), MasterNode is fixed in all rotations (ROTZ, ROTY,
ROTZ). So far so good, the problem lies when running the model. Currently,
I wasn't able to make the analysis results match the experimental ones (
Force vs Displacement curves) because the FEM is much stiffer, almost  3
times, than the actual core.

Another error I get when running the analysis is- excessive element
distortion-, this error prevents the analysis from running until the end,
my load is 0.5 mm and it stops at 0.06.

[image: image.png]

Στις Δευ 20 Φεβ 2023 στις 6:43 μ.μ., ο/η Caba, Aaron C (US) <
aaron.caba@baesystems.com> έγραψε:

Antonis,

You just replied to me, not to the list.

- Aaron