Variable shell181 thickness...

PJ
Patterson, James
Fri, Jan 13, 2023 7:24 PM

Hi,

Been RTFMing with no luck.  Can anybody point me at an example of specifying the thickness at each node on a shell181?  I thought you could (still?) do this with the "R" command, but apparently not.

Thanks,

Jim

[cid:image001.png@01D9275A.B22EC610]
James J. Patterson, PhD.
Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer
Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems
2070 Industrial Place S.E.  Canton, OH 44707
ph. 330 489 0095  |  fax 330 489 1961
jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.commailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com
www.hendrickson-intl.com

The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author.

Hi, Been RTFMing with no luck. Can anybody point me at an example of specifying the thickness at each node on a shell181? I thought you could (still?) do this with the "R" command, but apparently not. Thanks, Jim [cid:image001.png@01D9275A.B22EC610] James J. Patterson, PhD. Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems 2070 Industrial Place S.E. Canton, OH 44707 ph. 330 489 0095 | fax 330 489 1961 jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> www.hendrickson-intl.com The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author.
AB
André Beim - TRESCA
Fri, Jan 13, 2023 7:50 PM

Jim,

SHELL63 (archived element) real constant has one thickness for each node.

Andre Beim
TRESCA Eng.
www.tresca.com.br

On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 4:25 PM Patterson, James <
jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> wrote:

[...]

If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing
account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day.

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to
xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Jim, SHELL63 (archived element) real constant has one thickness for each node. *Andre Beim* *TRESCA Eng.* www.tresca.com.br On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 4:25 PM Patterson, James < jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Been RTFMing with no luck. Can anybody point me at an example of > specifying the thickness at each node on a shell181? I thought you could > (still?) do this with the "R" command, but apparently not. > > Thanks, > > Jim > > > > [cid:image001.png@01D9275A.B22EC610] > James J. Patterson, PhD. > Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer > Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems > 2070 Industrial Place S.E. Canton, OH 44707 > ph. 330 489 0095 | fax 330 489 1961 > jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> > www.hendrickson-intl.com > > > The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. > Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it > without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive > any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without > the permission of the author. > _______________________________________________ > Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org > To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org > If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing > account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > > Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to > xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
GK
Gallagher, Keith (GE Aerospace, US)
Fri, Jan 13, 2023 8:00 PM

Workbench does this very well using the shell 181's. It has a tabular option for shell thickness relative to any coordinate.

I suspect the APDL commands and format have been adapted to work well with that interface.  You might want to creak a quick simple model in workbench and see what it writes out.

Keith Gallagher
GE Aerosapce

WARNING: This email originated from outside of GE. Please validate the sender's email address before clicking on links or attachments as they may not be safe.

[...]

Workbench does this very well using the shell 181's. It has a tabular option for shell thickness relative to any coordinate. I suspect the APDL commands and format have been adapted to work well with that interface. You might want to creak a quick simple model in workbench and see what it writes out. Keith Gallagher GE Aerosapce -----Original Message----- From: André Beim - TRESCA <andre@tresca.com.br> Sent: Friday, January 13, 2023 2:50 PM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: EXT: [Xansys] Re: Variable shell181 thickness... WARNING: This email originated from outside of GE. Please validate the sender's email address before clicking on links or attachments as they may not be safe. Jim, SHELL63 (archived element) real constant has one thickness for each node. *Andre Beim* *TRESCA Eng.* www.tresca.com.br On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 4:25 PM Patterson, James < jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Been RTFMing with no luck. Can anybody point me at an example of > specifying the thickness at each node on a shell181? I thought you > could > (still?) do this with the "R" command, but apparently not. > > Thanks, > > Jim > > > > [cid:image001.png@01D9275A.B22EC610] > James J. Patterson, PhD. > Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer > Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems > 2070 Industrial Place S.E. Canton, OH 44707 > ph. 330 489 0095 | fax 330 489 1961 > jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com > > > www.hendrickson-intl.com > > > The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. > Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete > it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to > waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message > without the permission of the author. > _______________________________________________ > Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send > an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too > many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to > Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > > Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to > xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
WC
Wells, Charles (GE Gas Power)
Fri, Jan 13, 2023 8:09 PM

Believe SHELL181 requires a SECTION definition to assign thickness values, rather than REAL.  It's been a while since I've used them.

Charlie Wells

[...]

Believe SHELL181 requires a SECTION definition to assign thickness values, rather than REAL. It's been a while since I've used them. Charlie Wells -----Original Message----- From: Patterson, James <jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> Sent: Friday, January 13, 2023 2:24 PM To: xansys-temp@list.xansys.org Subject: EXT: [Xansys] Variable shell181 thickness... WARNING: This email originated from outside of GE. Please validate the sender's email address before clicking on links or attachments as they may not be safe. Hi, Been RTFMing with no luck. Can anybody point me at an example of specifying the thickness at each node on a shell181? I thought you could (still?) do this with the "R" command, but apparently not. Thanks, Jim [cid:image001.png@01D9275A.B22EC610] James J. Patterson, PhD. Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems 2070 Industrial Place S.E. Canton, OH 44707 ph. 330 489 0095 | fax 330 489 1961 jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> www.hendrickson-intl.com The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author.
JM
Joe Metrisin
Fri, Jan 13, 2023 8:39 PM

Here's an old macro I had for defining SHELL63 thickness as a function of x,y,z (you have to enter your own function).  Used this back in the stone age.  😊

/com
/com  Macro to apply a thickness function to SHELL63 elements.  Thickness
/com  is defined by a user function.
/com
/com  Element real constant number is the same as the element ID number.
/com
/com  Written by:  Joe Metrisin
/com
/com        Date:  March 28, 1996.
/com
!
*GET,emin,ELEM,,NUM,MIN
*GET,emax,ELEM,,NUM,MAX
!
*do,enum, emin, emax, 1
*if,esel(enum),eq,1,then
x1=nx(nelem(enum,1))      ! Retrieve node 1 x-coordinate.
y1=ny(nelem(enum,1))      ! Retrieve node 1 y-coordinate.
z1=nz(nelem(enum,1))      ! Retrieve node 1 z-coordinate.
!
x2=nx(nelem(enum,2))      ! Retrieve node 2 x-coordinate.
y2=ny(nelem(enum,2))      ! Retrieve node 2 y-coordinate.
z2=nz(nelem(enum,2))      ! Retrieve node 2 z-coordinate.
!
x3=nx(nelem(enum,3))      ! Retrieve node 3 x-coordinate.
y3=ny(nelem(enum,3))      ! Retrieve node 3 y-coordinate.
z3=nz(nelem(enum,3))      ! Retrieve node 3 z-coordinate.
!
x4=nx(nelem(enum,4))      ! Retrieve node 4 x-coordinate.
y4=ny(nelem(enum,4))      ! Retrieve node 4 y-coordinate.
z4=nz(nelem(enum,4))      ! Retrieve node 4 z-coordinate.
!
thck1=                                              ! Compute thickness.
thck2=                                              ! Compute thickness.
thck3=                                              ! Compute thickness.
thck4=                                              ! Compute thickness.
!
r,enum,thck1,thck2,thck3,thck4
emod,enum,real,enum
!
*else
*endif
!
*enddo

Joseph T Metrisin
Structures Lead

Florida Turbine Technologies, Inc
1701 Military Tr. Suite 110 | Jupiter, FL 33458 USA
+1 (561) 427-6346 Office | +1 (772) 834-4156 Mobile
Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com

Visit our website: https://kratosdefense.com

Confidentiality Note:
The information contained in this transmission and any attachments are proprietary and may be privileged, intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you received this communication in error, please delete the message and immediately notify the sender via the contact information listed above.

[...]

Here's an old macro I had for defining SHELL63 thickness as a function of x,y,z (you have to enter your own function). Used this back in the stone age. 😊 /com /com Macro to apply a thickness function to SHELL63 elements. Thickness /com is defined by a user function. /com /com Element real constant number is the same as the element ID number. /com /com Written by: Joe Metrisin /com /com Date: March 28, 1996. /com ! *GET,emin,ELEM,,NUM,MIN *GET,emax,ELEM,,NUM,MAX ! *do,enum, emin, emax, 1 *if,esel(enum),eq,1,then x1=nx(nelem(enum,1)) ! Retrieve node 1 x-coordinate. y1=ny(nelem(enum,1)) ! Retrieve node 1 y-coordinate. z1=nz(nelem(enum,1)) ! Retrieve node 1 z-coordinate. ! x2=nx(nelem(enum,2)) ! Retrieve node 2 x-coordinate. y2=ny(nelem(enum,2)) ! Retrieve node 2 y-coordinate. z2=nz(nelem(enum,2)) ! Retrieve node 2 z-coordinate. ! x3=nx(nelem(enum,3)) ! Retrieve node 3 x-coordinate. y3=ny(nelem(enum,3)) ! Retrieve node 3 y-coordinate. z3=nz(nelem(enum,3)) ! Retrieve node 3 z-coordinate. ! x4=nx(nelem(enum,4)) ! Retrieve node 4 x-coordinate. y4=ny(nelem(enum,4)) ! Retrieve node 4 y-coordinate. z4=nz(nelem(enum,4)) ! Retrieve node 4 z-coordinate. ! thck1= ! Compute thickness. thck2= ! Compute thickness. thck3= ! Compute thickness. thck4= ! Compute thickness. ! r,enum,thck1,thck2,thck3,thck4 emod,enum,real,enum ! *else *endif ! *enddo Joseph T Metrisin Structures Lead Florida Turbine Technologies, Inc 1701 Military Tr. Suite 110 | Jupiter, FL 33458 USA +1 (561) 427-6346 Office | +1 (772) 834-4156 Mobile Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com Visit our website: https://kratosdefense.com Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this transmission and any attachments are proprietary and may be privileged, intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please delete the message and immediately notify the sender via the contact information listed above. -----Original Message----- From: André Beim - TRESCA <andre@tresca.com.br> Sent: Friday, January 13, 2023 2:50 PM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: [External] - [Xansys] Re: Variable shell181 thickness... CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Jim, SHELL63 (archived element) real constant has one thickness for each node. *Andre Beim* *TRESCA Eng.* www.tresca.com.br On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 4:25 PM Patterson, James < jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Been RTFMing with no luck. Can anybody point me at an example of > specifying the thickness at each node on a shell181? I thought you > could > (still?) do this with the "R" command, but apparently not. > > Thanks, > > Jim > > > > [cid:image001.png@01D9275A.B22EC610] > James J. Patterson, PhD. > Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer > Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems > 2070 Industrial Place S.E. Canton, OH 44707 > ph. 330 489 0095 | fax 330 489 1961 > jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com > > > www.hendrickson-intl.com > > > The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. > Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete > it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to > waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message > without the permission of the author. > _______________________________________________ > Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send > an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too > many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to > Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > > Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to > xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
GB
Grama Bhashyam
Sat, Jan 14, 2023 1:47 AM

Please refer to SECFUNCTION command.

Regards

Grama Bhashyam
Fellow & Chief Technologist MBU

https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hendrickson-intl.com%2F&data=05%7C01%7Cgrama.bhashyam%40ansys.com%7C76482639ff824e1f127108daf5a23f29%7C34c6ce6715b84eff80e952da8be89706%7C0%7C0%7C638092374443614856%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=cQnWZDN4pu%2FfCSrDM3S6ED2PGgsFcE%2FQjf%2BY2DZIh3Y%3D&reserved=0

Please refer to SECFUNCTION command. Regards Grama Bhashyam Fellow & Chief Technologist MBU ________________________________ From: Wells, Charles (GE Gas Power) <Charles.Wells@ge.com> Sent: Friday, January 13, 2023 3:09:22 PM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: [Xansys] Re: Variable shell181 thickness... [External Sender] Believe SHELL181 requires a SECTION definition to assign thickness values, rather than REAL. It's been a while since I've used them. Charlie Wells -----Original Message----- From: Patterson, James <jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> Sent: Friday, January 13, 2023 2:24 PM To: xansys-temp@list.xansys.org Subject: EXT: [Xansys] Variable shell181 thickness... WARNING: This email originated from outside of GE. Please validate the sender's email address before clicking on links or attachments as they may not be safe. Hi, Been RTFMing with no luck. Can anybody point me at an example of specifying the thickness at each node on a shell181? I thought you could (still?) do this with the "R" command, but apparently not. Thanks, Jim [cid:image001.png@01D9275A.B22EC610] James J. Patterson, PhD. Principal Vehicle Systems Engineer Trailer Commercial Vehicle Systems 2070 Industrial Place S.E. Canton, OH 44707 ph. 330 489 0095 | fax 330 489 1961 jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com<mailto:jpatterson@hendrickson-intl.com> https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hendrickson-intl.com%2F&data=05%7C01%7Cgrama.bhashyam%40ansys.com%7C76482639ff824e1f127108daf5a23f29%7C34c6ce6715b84eff80e952da8be89706%7C0%7C0%7C638092374443614856%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=cQnWZDN4pu%2FfCSrDM3S6ED2PGgsFcE%2FQjf%2BY2DZIh3Y%3D&reserved=0 The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author. _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list