FW: Crowdsource: Rotor Dynamic Problem

BD
Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US)
Tue, Dec 12, 2023 6:53 PM

Hi All,

Sorry to cast the net out so wide, this maybe this is a simple problem, but it has me stumped.  BTW, not a lot of experience for me on dynamic problems in general.

I am running a Fan Blade Out (FBO) imbalance loading on a rotating shaft.  So at one end of the 3D model of the shaft I have dynamic torque, and vertical shear and over turning moment loads.  I run inertia relief, get those counter balancing accelerations, apply them, and the model runs fine.

I do the same for the static loads on the model: speed, pressure, temperature, cut boundary loads etc.  It runs fine and results match some 2D models I have.

When I try to combine them both - I can't get the job the solve.  I suspect it is that the FBO loads deflect the 5 foot long shaft about 4 inches off the engine centerline and that doesn't play well with the RPM I have applied about the centerline.  So I've added another imbalance load (which might be accounted for in the vert and moments I've been given from the System Dynamics folks here.)

I have a workaround, but just wondering if I'm missing something fundamental trying to run the two sets of loads together.

Thanks,

Dan Bohlen
Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis
STAR review chairman, military structures
NGP2 engine focal
GE Aerospace
1 Neumann Way
Evendale, OH  45215  USA

Build B90 Column  L 3.75
M/D H358  Cell  513-917-3402

Building 200  Desk Phone 3-8816

GE FOCUS:  Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost

"In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming

[...]
TR
Testi Riccardo
Wed, Dec 13, 2023 7:59 AM

Dear Mr. Bohlen,
you mentioned cut boundary loads. Is any submodeling involved?

Best regards
Riccardo Testi

Development and Strategies
2 Wheeler Engines Technical Centre
Piaggio & C. S.p.A
Viale Rinaldo Piaggio, 25
56025 Pontedera (Pisa) - ITALY
Phone:  +39 0587 272850
Fax:        +39 0587 272010
Mobile: +39 339 7241918
CAUTION:This email originated from outside the Piaggio Group. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

[...]

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Dear Mr. Bohlen, you mentioned cut boundary loads. Is any submodeling involved? Best regards Riccardo Testi --- Development and Strategies 2 Wheeler Engines Technical Centre Piaggio & C. S.p.A Viale Rinaldo Piaggio, 25 56025 Pontedera (Pisa) - ITALY Phone: +39 0587 272850 Fax: +39 0587 272010 Mobile: +39 339 7241918 E-mail: riccardo.testi@piaggio.com -----Original Message----- From: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> Sent: martedì 12 dicembre 2023 19:53 To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: [Xansys] FW: Crowdsource: Rotor Dynamic Problem CAUTION:This email originated from outside the Piaggio Group. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Hi All, Sorry to cast the net out so wide, this maybe this is a simple problem, but it has me stumped. BTW, not a lot of experience for me on dynamic problems in general. I am running a Fan Blade Out (FBO) imbalance loading on a rotating shaft. So at one end of the 3D model of the shaft I have dynamic torque, and vertical shear and over turning moment loads. I run inertia relief, get those counter balancing accelerations, apply them, and the model runs fine. I do the same for the static loads on the model: speed, pressure, temperature, cut boundary loads etc. It runs fine and results match some 2D models I have. When I try to combine them both - I can't get the job the solve. I suspect it is that the FBO loads deflect the 5 foot long shaft about 4 inches off the engine centerline and that doesn't play well with the RPM I have applied about the centerline. So I've added another imbalance load (which might be accounted for in the vert and moments I've been given from the System Dynamics folks here.) I have a workaround, but just wondering if I'm missing something fundamental trying to run the two sets of loads together. Thanks, Dan Bohlen Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis STAR review chairman, military structures NGP2 engine focal GE Aerospace 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA Build B90 Column L 3.75 M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 Building 200 Desk Phone 3-8816 GE FOCUS: Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
BD
Bohlen, Dan (GE, US)
Wed, Dec 13, 2023 1:08 PM

Well you can think of my model as a submodel - I am applying cut forces for the static loads from a 2D system model.

[...]

Well you can think of my model as a submodel - I am applying cut forces for the static loads from a 2D system model. -----Original Message----- From: Testi Riccardo <riccardo.testi@piaggio.com> Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2023 2:59 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: EXT: [Xansys] Re: Crowdsource: Rotor Dynamic Problem WARNING: This email originated from outside of GE. Please validate the sender's email address before clicking on links or attachments as they may not be safe. Dear Mr. Bohlen, you mentioned cut boundary loads. Is any submodeling involved? Best regards Riccardo Testi --- Development and Strategies 2 Wheeler Engines Technical Centre Piaggio & C. S.p.A Viale Rinaldo Piaggio, 25 56025 Pontedera (Pisa) - ITALY Phone: +39 0587 272850 Fax: +39 0587 272010 Mobile: +39 339 7241918 E-mail: riccardo.testi@piaggio.com -----Original Message----- From: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> Sent: martedì 12 dicembre 2023 19:53 To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: [Xansys] FW: Crowdsource: Rotor Dynamic Problem CAUTION:This email originated from outside the Piaggio Group. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Hi All, Sorry to cast the net out so wide, this maybe this is a simple problem, but it has me stumped. BTW, not a lot of experience for me on dynamic problems in general. I am running a Fan Blade Out (FBO) imbalance loading on a rotating shaft. So at one end of the 3D model of the shaft I have dynamic torque, and vertical shear and over turning moment loads. I run inertia relief, get those counter balancing accelerations, apply them, and the model runs fine. I do the same for the static loads on the model: speed, pressure, temperature, cut boundary loads etc. It runs fine and results match some 2D models I have. When I try to combine them both - I can't get the job the solve. I suspect it is that the FBO loads deflect the 5 foot long shaft about 4 inches off the engine centerline and that doesn't play well with the RPM I have applied about the centerline. So I've added another imbalance load (which might be accounted for in the vert and moments I've been given from the System Dynamics folks here.) I have a workaround, but just wondering if I'm missing something fundamental trying to run the two sets of loads together. Thanks, Dan Bohlen Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis STAR review chairman, military structures NGP2 engine focal GE Aerospace 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA Build B90 Column L 3.75 M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 Building 200 Desk Phone 3-8816 GE FOCUS: Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
TR
Testi Riccardo
Wed, Dec 13, 2023 1:46 PM

What does Ansys tell you when it refuses to carry out the job?
Are there any nonlinearities?

[...]

What does Ansys tell you when it refuses to carry out the job? Are there any nonlinearities? -----Original Message----- From: Bohlen, Dan (GE, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> Sent: mercoledì 13 dicembre 2023 14:09 To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: [Xansys] Re: Crowdsource: Rotor Dynamic Problem CAUTION:This email originated from outside the Piaggio Group. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Well you can think of my model as a submodel - I am applying cut forces for the static loads from a 2D system model. -----Original Message----- From: Testi Riccardo <riccardo.testi@piaggio.com> Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2023 2:59 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: EXT: [Xansys] Re: Crowdsource: Rotor Dynamic Problem WARNING: This email originated from outside of GE. Please validate the sender's email address before clicking on links or attachments as they may not be safe. Dear Mr. Bohlen, you mentioned cut boundary loads. Is any submodeling involved? Best regards Riccardo Testi --- Development and Strategies 2 Wheeler Engines Technical Centre Piaggio & C. S.p.A Viale Rinaldo Piaggio, 25 56025 Pontedera (Pisa) - ITALY Phone: +39 0587 272850 Fax: +39 0587 272010 Mobile: +39 339 7241918 E-mail: riccardo.testi@piaggio.com -----Original Message----- From: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> Sent: martedì 12 dicembre 2023 19:53 To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: [Xansys] FW: Crowdsource: Rotor Dynamic Problem CAUTION:This email originated from outside the Piaggio Group. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Hi All, Sorry to cast the net out so wide, this maybe this is a simple problem, but it has me stumped. BTW, not a lot of experience for me on dynamic problems in general. I am running a Fan Blade Out (FBO) imbalance loading on a rotating shaft. So at one end of the 3D model of the shaft I have dynamic torque, and vertical shear and over turning moment loads. I run inertia relief, get those counter balancing accelerations, apply them, and the model runs fine. I do the same for the static loads on the model: speed, pressure, temperature, cut boundary loads etc. It runs fine and results match some 2D models I have. When I try to combine them both - I can't get the job the solve. I suspect it is that the FBO loads deflect the 5 foot long shaft about 4 inches off the engine centerline and that doesn't play well with the RPM I have applied about the centerline. So I've added another imbalance load (which might be accounted for in the vert and moments I've been given from the System Dynamics folks here.) I have a workaround, but just wondering if I'm missing something fundamental trying to run the two sets of loads together. Thanks, Dan Bohlen Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis STAR review chairman, military structures NGP2 engine focal GE Aerospace 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA Build B90 Column L 3.75 M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 Building 200 Desk Phone 3-8816 GE FOCUS: Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
MG
Mohammad Gharaibeh
Wed, Dec 13, 2023 2:20 PM

One way I could think of is:

1 - Run the inertia relief step, store the model displacements.
2 - Import the displacement of step 1 above (like doing submodeling), apply
your static loads and solve. I ain't sure this would work but worth a try,
IMHO.

Good Luck!
Mohammad

---====
Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Hashemite University
P.O. Box 330127
Zarqa, 13133, Jordan
Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771
Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348

---====

On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 9:53 PM Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US) <
dan.bohlen@ge.com> wrote:

[...]

One way I could think of is: 1 - Run the inertia relief step, store the model displacements. 2 - Import the displacement of step 1 above (like doing submodeling), apply your static loads and solve. I ain't sure this would work but worth a try, IMHO. Good Luck! Mohammad ===================================== Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D. Associate Professor Department of Mechanical Engineering The Hashemite University P.O. Box 330127 Zarqa, 13133, Jordan Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771 Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348 ===================================== On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 9:53 PM Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US) < dan.bohlen@ge.com> wrote: > > Hi All, > > Sorry to cast the net out so wide, this maybe this is a simple problem, > but it has me stumped. BTW, not a lot of experience for me on dynamic > problems in general. > > I am running a Fan Blade Out (FBO) imbalance loading on a rotating shaft. > So at one end of the 3D model of the shaft I have dynamic torque, and > vertical shear and over turning moment loads. I run inertia relief, get > those counter balancing accelerations, apply them, and the model runs fine. > > I do the same for the static loads on the model: speed, pressure, > temperature, cut boundary loads etc. It runs fine and results match some > 2D models I have. > > When I try to combine them both - I can't get the job the solve. I > suspect it is that the FBO loads deflect the 5 foot long shaft about 4 > inches off the engine centerline and that doesn't play well with the RPM I > have applied about the centerline. So I've added another imbalance load > (which might be accounted for in the vert and moments I've been given from > the System Dynamics folks here.) > > I have a workaround, but just wondering if I'm missing something > fundamental trying to run the two sets of loads together. > > Thanks, > > Dan Bohlen > Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis > STAR review chairman, military structures > NGP2 engine focal > GE Aerospace > 1 Neumann Way > Evendale, OH 45215 USA > > Build B90 Column L 3.75 > M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 > > Building 200 Desk Phone 3-8816 > > GE FOCUS: Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost > > "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming > > > _______________________________________________ > Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org > To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org > If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing > account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > > Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to > xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list >