Thermal-Strcutural Analysis - ANSYS Classic 2020R1

MG
Mohammad Gharaibeh
Tue, Jul 12, 2022 11:22 AM

Dear XANSYS members,

I apologize in advance for sending this again but I forgot to mention what
ANSUSmodule I am using.

I am trying to simulate a thermal-structural problem of a simple structure
(two plates with different CTE's and layered on top of each other). I
intend to perform thermal analysis first then import its results into a
structural simulation.* I am using ANSYS Classic 2020 R1*. It is my first
time doing something like this so I am learning and seeking your
invaluable inputs.

I understand that the element type in the thermal analysis is (SOLID226)
and the element type in the structural analysis is SOLID185.

My question is, can anyone give some insights on that? The main issue is
how to export thermal analysis results and import them into the structural
simulation. I thought of using the submodeling technique to perform this.
But I thought I should ask the experts of this community.

Does my understanding of the problem sound right? I would appreciate any
suggestions/scripts on that.

Best regards,
Mohammad

---====
Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Hashemite University
P.O. Box 330127
Zarqa, 13133, Jordan
Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771
Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348

---====

[...]
FA
Factoo, Anjum
Tue, Jul 12, 2022 11:49 AM

Hello Mohammad.

You can solve the Thermal analysis, you will get the ".rth" file which will store the thermal results.

You can issue "ETCHG,TTS" command to change the element from thermal to Structural. APDL will automatically change the element type.

Then you have to import the Thermal results into structural model. May be temperature field in your case, since your mesh is not changing (I Assume) , you can easily do it by using "LDREAD" Command.

You can browse thru the ANSYS help to learn more about these commands

Thanks
Anjum Riaz

This mail has been sent by an external source

[...]

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Hello Mohammad. You can solve the Thermal analysis, you will get the ".rth" file which will store the thermal results. You can issue "ETCHG,TTS" command to change the element from thermal to Structural. APDL will automatically change the element type. Then you have to import the Thermal results into structural model. May be temperature field in your case, since your mesh is not changing (I Assume) , you can easily do it by using "LDREAD" Command. You can browse thru the ANSYS help to learn more about these commands Thanks Anjum Riaz -----Original Message----- From: Mohammad Gharaibeh via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: 12 July 2022 16:53 To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: Mohammad Gharaibeh <mgharai1@binghamton.edu> Subject: [Xansys] Thermal-Strcutural Analysis - ANSYS Classic 2020R1 ***This mail has been sent by an external source*** Dear XANSYS members, I apologize in advance for sending this again but I forgot to mention what ANSUSmodule I am using. I am trying to simulate a thermal-structural problem of a simple structure (two plates with different CTE's and layered on top of each other). I intend to perform thermal analysis first then import its results into a structural simulation.* I am using ANSYS Classic 2020 R1*. It is my first time doing something like this so I am learning and seeking your invaluable inputs. I understand that the element type in the thermal analysis is (SOLID226) and the element type in the structural analysis is SOLID185. My question is, can anyone give some insights on that? The main issue is how to export thermal analysis results and import them into the structural simulation. I thought of using the submodeling technique to perform this. But I thought I should ask the experts of this community. Does my understanding of the problem sound right? I would appreciate any suggestions/scripts on that. Best regards, Mohammad ===================================== Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D. Associate Professor Department of Mechanical Engineering The Hashemite University P.O. Box 330127 Zarqa, 13133, Jordan Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771 Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348 ===================================== _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Capgemini Group. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.
SG
Swapnil Govind
Tue, Jul 12, 2022 11:56 AM

Hello Mohammad

Please use ANSYS Coupled field simulation environment which uses the SOLID226/227 element. The SOLID226/227 element can be used for single way and two-way coupling purpose.

Thank you.

Swapnil R. Govind
Principal Engineer Analyst
Oceaneering International Services Ltd., Chandigarh
Direct: +91 172.434.1662 | Mobile: +91 869.930.1106

Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.orgmailto:xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.orgmailto:xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day.

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.ukmailto:xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day.

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.ukmailto:xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Hello Mohammad Please use ANSYS Coupled field simulation environment which uses the SOLID226/227 element. The SOLID226/227 element can be used for single way and two-way coupling purpose. Thank you. Swapnil R. Govind Principal Engineer Analyst Oceaneering International Services Ltd., Chandigarh Direct: +91 172.434.1662 | Mobile: +91 869.930.1106 Speed Dial: *91 1662 [cid:image001.png@01D89614.8AD2E920]<http://www.oceaneering.com/> From: Factoo, Anjum via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2022 5:20 PM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: Factoo, Anjum <anjum.factoo@capgemini.com> Subject: [Xansys] Re: Thermal-Strcutural Analysis - ANSYS Classic 2020R1 [CAUTION: This email originated from outside Oceaneering.] Hello Mohammad. You can solve the Thermal analysis, you will get the ".rth" file which will store the thermal results. You can issue "ETCHG,TTS" command to change the element from thermal to Structural. APDL will automatically change the element type. Then you have to import the Thermal results into structural model. May be temperature field in your case, since your mesh is not changing (I Assume) , you can easily do it by using "LDREAD" Command. You can browse thru the ANSYS help to learn more about these commands Thanks Anjum Riaz -----Original Message----- From: Mohammad Gharaibeh via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org<mailto:xansys-temp@list.xansys.org>> Sent: 12 July 2022 16:53 To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org<mailto:xansys-temp@list.xansys.org>> Cc: Mohammad Gharaibeh <mgharai1@binghamton.edu<mailto:mgharai1@binghamton.edu>> Subject: [Xansys] Thermal-Strcutural Analysis - ANSYS Classic 2020R1 ***This mail has been sent by an external source*** Dear XANSYS members, I apologize in advance for sending this again but I forgot to mention what ANSUSmodule I am using. I am trying to simulate a thermal-structural problem of a simple structure (two plates with different CTE's and layered on top of each other). I intend to perform thermal analysis first then import its results into a structural simulation.* I am using ANSYS Classic 2020 R1*. It is my first time doing something like this so I am learning and seeking your invaluable inputs. I understand that the element type in the thermal analysis is (SOLID226) and the element type in the structural analysis is SOLID185. My question is, can anyone give some insights on that? The main issue is how to export thermal analysis results and import them into the structural simulation. I thought of using the submodeling technique to perform this. But I thought I should ask the experts of this community. Does my understanding of the problem sound right? I would appreciate any suggestions/scripts on that. Best regards, Mohammad ===================================== Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D. Associate Professor Department of Mechanical Engineering The Hashemite University P.O. Box 330127 Zarqa, 13133, Jordan Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771 Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348 ===================================== _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org<mailto:xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org<mailto:xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org> If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk<mailto:xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk> and not to the list This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Capgemini Group. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message. _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org<mailto:xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org<mailto:xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org> If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk<mailto:xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk> and not to the list
HZ
Han Zhang
Tue, Jul 12, 2022 12:31 PM

If your thermal model and structural model have identical mesh (and node
numbers), you can use LDREAD to read in and apply temp (Body force) to your
structural model.
If your thermal model and structural model have different mesh, you can use
CBDOF to map the temps to structural model.

Han Zhang.
PPPL.

On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 7:23 AM Mohammad Gharaibeh via Xansys <
xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> wrote:

[...]

If your thermal model and structural model have identical mesh (and node numbers), you can use LDREAD to read in and apply temp (Body force) to your structural model. If your thermal model and structural model have different mesh, you can use CBDOF to map the temps to structural model. Han Zhang. PPPL. On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 7:23 AM Mohammad Gharaibeh via Xansys < xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> wrote: > Dear XANSYS members, > > I apologize in advance for sending this again but I forgot to mention what > ANSUSmodule I am using. > > I am trying to simulate a thermal-structural problem of a simple structure > (two plates with different CTE's and layered on top of each other). I > intend to perform thermal analysis first then import its results into a > structural simulation.* I am using ANSYS Classic 2020 R1*. It is my first > time doing something like this so I am learning and seeking your > invaluable inputs. > > I understand that the element type in the thermal analysis is (SOLID226) > and the element type in the structural analysis is SOLID185. > > My question is, can anyone give some insights on that? The main issue is > how to export thermal analysis results and import them into the structural > simulation. I thought of using the submodeling technique to perform this. > But I thought I should ask the experts of this community. > > Does my understanding of the problem sound right? I would appreciate any > suggestions/scripts on that. > > Best regards, > Mohammad > > ===================================== > Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D. > Associate Professor > Department of Mechanical Engineering > The Hashemite University > P.O. Box 330127 > Zarqa, 13133, Jordan > Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771 > Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348 > ===================================== > _______________________________________________ > Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org > To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org > If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing > account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > > Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to > xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list >