licensing issue after power failure

jgarroni@shaw.ca
Sun, May 26, 2024 2:42 PM

Hello all,

I was using Ansys APDL when a power failure occurred.  After the power was
restored, I could not restart Ansys.  The message I get is "Insufficient
ANSYS Mechanical Enterprise licenses available".  I've tried using the Ansys
License Manager to stop and start the license, to no avail.  It continues to
think there is a license in use.  The FlexNet Licensing error I get is
-4,132.  The -4 indicates insufficient licenses but the 132 is not listed in
the error codes.  Could anyone suggest a way to reset the license manager so
it doesn't think the license is already in use?

Regards,

James Garroni, P. Eng.

Engineering Simulations  Inc.

66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada

R3X 2E8

Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385

Hello all, I was using Ansys APDL when a power failure occurred. After the power was restored, I could not restart Ansys. The message I get is "Insufficient ANSYS Mechanical Enterprise licenses available". I've tried using the Ansys License Manager to stop and start the license, to no avail. It continues to think there is a license in use. The FlexNet Licensing error I get is -4,132. The -4 indicates insufficient licenses but the 132 is not listed in the error codes. Could anyone suggest a way to reset the license manager so it doesn't think the license is already in use? Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385
Dennis
Sun, May 26, 2024 7:51 PM

Hi Jamie
Try rebooting the license machine.
Dennis Kawa

I was using Ansys APDL when a power failure occurred.  After the power was
restored, I could not restart Ansys.  The message I get is "Insufficient
ANSYS Mechanical Enterprise licenses available".  I've tried using the Ansys
License Manager to stop and start the license, to no avail.  It continues to
think there is a license in use.  The FlexNet Licensing error I get is
-4,132.  The -4 indicates insufficient licenses but the 132 is not listed in
the error codes.  Could anyone suggest a way to reset the license manager so
it doesn't think the license is already in use?

Regards,

James Garroni, P. Eng.

Engineering Simulations  Inc.

66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada

R3X 2E8

Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385

email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many
emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode
which will send a single email per day.

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to
xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Hi Jamie Try rebooting the license machine. Dennis Kawa -----Original Message----- From: James Garroni via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2024 9:43 AM To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: [Xansys] licensing issue after power failure Hello all, I was using Ansys APDL when a power failure occurred. After the power was restored, I could not restart Ansys. The message I get is "Insufficient ANSYS Mechanical Enterprise licenses available". I've tried using the Ansys License Manager to stop and start the license, to no avail. It continues to think there is a license in use. The FlexNet Licensing error I get is -4,132. The -4 indicates insufficient licenses but the 132 is not listed in the error codes. Could anyone suggest a way to reset the license manager so it doesn't think the license is already in use? Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
jgarroni@shaw.ca
Sun, May 26, 2024 8:28 PM

Hi Dennis, nice to hear from you, hope all is well.

I've found a bit more information on the Ansys licensing issue.  I ran the
license manager (2020 R1 by the way) and under the Display Flexnet License
Status it shows that the license has been borrowed to my laptop until May
30, 2024.  I did borrow the license to my laptop for a couple days, but then
returned it this morning and was working on the desktop when the power went
out.  I suppose its possible that on May 30 everything might return to
normal, but then I've lost 5 days.  I tried re-booting the license machine.
Didn't work.

[...]

Hi Dennis, nice to hear from you, hope all is well. I've found a bit more information on the Ansys licensing issue. I ran the license manager (2020 R1 by the way) and under the Display Flexnet License Status it shows that the license has been borrowed to my laptop until May 30, 2024. I did borrow the license to my laptop for a couple days, but then returned it this morning and was working on the desktop when the power went out. I suppose its possible that on May 30 everything might return to normal, but then I've lost 5 days. I tried re-booting the license machine. Didn't work. Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 -----Original Message----- From: Dennis <dkawa@shaw.ca> Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2024 2:52 PM To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: RE: [Xansys] licensing issue after power failure Hi Jamie Try rebooting the license machine. Dennis Kawa -----Original Message----- From: James Garroni via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2024 9:43 AM To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: [Xansys] licensing issue after power failure Hello all, I was using Ansys APDL when a power failure occurred. After the power was restored, I could not restart Ansys. The message I get is "Insufficient ANSYS Mechanical Enterprise licenses available". I've tried using the Ansys License Manager to stop and start the license, to no avail. It continues to think there is a license in use. The FlexNet Licensing error I get is -4,132. The -4 indicates insufficient licenses but the 132 is not listed in the error codes. Could anyone suggest a way to reset the license manager so it doesn't think the license is already in use? Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
UD
Uffe Dal Eriksen
Mon, May 27, 2024 6:50 AM

James.

We get this (or a very similar) issue some times when a user loses connection to the network and accesses a different network (as in: through a different network adapter). For instance, if a laptop is connected to the cabled network through a docking station, then when disconnecting from the docking station the laptop will automatically access the wifi network instead. This is seen by the license manager as a 'new' license request, and troubles ensue... These 'dead' licenses are usually released after a couple of hours (but typically not after the default one hour). I am not sure how borrowed licenses are handled...

For what it is worth, it is possible to force-release stuck licenses via a DOS prompt (assuming Windows). Below is my small batch file, which releases ALL licenses of a specific type for a specific user on a specific machine. Obviously, the SET variables should be replaced by your own data.

SET SERVER=1055@license_server
SET FEATURE=ansys
SET USER=whatever
SET PC=whatever  (as listed in the license usage report)
cd C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\Licensing\winx64
lmutil.exe lmremove -c %SERVER% %FEATURE% %USER% %PC% %PC%

Kind regards
Uffe Dal Eriksen
Ramboll Energy
Denmark

[...]

James. We get this (or a very similar) issue some times when a user loses connection to the network and accesses a different network (as in: through a different network adapter). For instance, if a laptop is connected to the cabled network through a docking station, then when disconnecting from the docking station the laptop will automatically access the wifi network instead. This is seen by the license manager as a 'new' license request, and troubles ensue... These 'dead' licenses are usually released after a couple of hours (but typically not after the default one hour). I am not sure how borrowed licenses are handled... For what it is worth, it is possible to force-release stuck licenses via a DOS prompt (assuming Windows). Below is my small batch file, which releases ALL licenses of a specific type for a specific user on a specific machine. Obviously, the SET variables should be replaced by your own data. ----------------------- SET SERVER=1055@license_server SET FEATURE=ansys SET USER=whatever SET PC=whatever (as listed in the license usage report) cd C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\Licensing\winx64 lmutil.exe lmremove -c %SERVER% %FEATURE% %USER% %PC% %PC% ----------------------- Kind regards Uffe Dal Eriksen Ramboll Energy Denmark Classification: Confidential -----Original Message----- From: James Garroni via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: 26. maj 2024 22:29 To: 'Dennis' <dkawa@shaw.ca>; 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: [Xansys] Re: licensing issue after power failure Hi Dennis, nice to hear from you, hope all is well. I've found a bit more information on the Ansys licensing issue. I ran the license manager (2020 R1 by the way) and under the Display Flexnet License Status it shows that the license has been borrowed to my laptop until May 30, 2024. I did borrow the license to my laptop for a couple days, but then returned it this morning and was working on the desktop when the power went out. I suppose its possible that on May 30 everything might return to normal, but then I've lost 5 days. I tried re-booting the license machine. Didn't work. Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 -----Original Message----- From: Dennis <dkawa@shaw.ca> Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2024 2:52 PM To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: RE: [Xansys] licensing issue after power failure Hi Jamie Try rebooting the license machine. Dennis Kawa -----Original Message----- From: James Garroni via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2024 9:43 AM To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: [Xansys] licensing issue after power failure Hello all, I was using Ansys APDL when a power failure occurred. After the power was restored, I could not restart Ansys. The message I get is "Insufficient ANSYS Mechanical Enterprise licenses available". I've tried using the Ansys License Manager to stop and start the license, to no avail. It continues to think there is a license in use. The FlexNet Licensing error I get is -4,132. The -4 indicates insufficient licenses but the 132 is not listed in the error codes. Could anyone suggest a way to reset the license manager so it doesn't think the license is already in use? Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
UD
Uffe Dal Eriksen
Mon, May 27, 2024 6:57 AM

Resend, sorry... a few lines got messed up.

[...]

Resend, sorry... a few lines got messed up. ---------- James. We get this (or a very similar) issue some times when a user loses connection to the network and accesses a different network (as in: through a different network adapter). For instance, if a laptop is connected to the cabled network through a docking station, then when disconnecting from the docking station the laptop will automatically access the wifi network instead. This is seen by the license manager as a 'new' license request, and troubles ensue... These 'dead' licenses are usually released after a couple of hours (but typically not after the default one hour). I am not sure how borrowed licenses are handled... For what it is worth, it is possible to force-release stuck licenses via a DOS prompt (assuming Windows). Below is my small batch file, which releases ALL licenses of a specific type for a specific user on a specific machine. Obviously, the SET variables should be replaced by your own data. ----------------------- SET SERVER=1055@license_server SET FEATURE=ansys SET USER=whatever SET PC=whatever (as listed in the license usage report) cd C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\Licensing\winx64 lmutil.exe lmremove -c %SERVER% %FEATURE% %USER% %PC% %PC% ----------------------- Kind regards Uffe Dal Eriksen Ramboll Energy Denmark Classification: Confidential -----Original Message----- From: Uffe Dal Eriksen Sent: 27. maj 2024 08:51 To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: RE: [Xansys] Re: licensing issue after power failure James. We get this (or a very similar) issue some times when a user loses connection to the network and accesses a different network (as in: through a different network adapter). For instance, if a laptop is connected to the cabled network through a docking station, then when disconnecting from the docking station the laptop will automatically access the wifi network instead. This is seen by the license manager as a 'new' license request, and troubles ensue... These 'dead' licenses are usually released after a couple of hours (but typically not after the default one hour). I am not sure how borrowed licenses are handled... For what it is worth, it is possible to force-release stuck licenses via a DOS prompt (assuming Windows). Below is my small batch file, which releases ALL licenses of a specific type for a specific user on a specific machine. Obviously, the SET variables should be replaced by your own data. ----------------------- SET SERVER=1055@license_server SET FEATURE=ansys SET USER=whatever SET PC=whatever (as listed in the license usage report) cd C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\Licensing\winx64 lmutil.exe lmremove -c %SERVER% %FEATURE% %USER% %PC% %PC% ----------------------- Kind regards Uffe Dal Eriksen Ramboll Energy Denmark -----Original Message----- From: James Garroni via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: 26. maj 2024 22:29 To: 'Dennis' <dkawa@shaw.ca>; 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: [Xansys] Re: licensing issue after power failure Hi Dennis, nice to hear from you, hope all is well. I've found a bit more information on the Ansys licensing issue. I ran the license manager (2020 R1 by the way) and under the Display Flexnet License Status it shows that the license has been borrowed to my laptop until May 30, 2024. I did borrow the license to my laptop for a couple days, but then returned it this morning and was working on the desktop when the power went out. I suppose its possible that on May 30 everything might return to normal, but then I've lost 5 days. I tried re-booting the license machine. Didn't work. Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 -----Original Message----- From: Dennis <dkawa@shaw.ca> Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2024 2:52 PM To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: RE: [Xansys] licensing issue after power failure Hi Jamie Try rebooting the license machine. Dennis Kawa -----Original Message----- From: James Garroni via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2024 9:43 AM To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: [Xansys] licensing issue after power failure Hello all, I was using Ansys APDL when a power failure occurred. After the power was restored, I could not restart Ansys. The message I get is "Insufficient ANSYS Mechanical Enterprise licenses available". I've tried using the Ansys License Manager to stop and start the license, to no avail. It continues to think there is a license in use. The FlexNet Licensing error I get is -4,132. The -4 indicates insufficient licenses but the 132 is not listed in the error codes. Could anyone suggest a way to reset the license manager so it doesn't think the license is already in use? Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
jgarroni@shaw.ca
Mon, May 27, 2024 12:57 PM

Thanks for the reply Mr. Eriksen,

Your solution looks promising, but I think I may be executing it
incorrectly. I've printed below the output when I display the Flexnet
License Status.  Is the USER=Laptop or Laptop-HP?  And is the PC=DESKTOP or
DESKTOP/1055?  Also, I hope this won't prevent me from borrowing the license
to my laptop permanently.

Users of ansys:  (Total of 1 license issued;  Total of 1 license in use)
"ansys" v2021.0131, vendor: ansyslmd, expiry: 1-jan-0

floating license
Laptop Laptop-HP Laptop-HP (v2019.1113) (DESKTOP/1055 101), start Sun
5/26 16:16  (linger: 319687 / 374820)
{Borrowed until Fri, 31 May 2024 00:23:41 CDT. ( Duration remaining is 3
days 16 hours 48 minutes and 7 seconds )  }

[...]

Thanks for the reply Mr. Eriksen, Your solution looks promising, but I think I may be executing it incorrectly. I've printed below the output when I display the Flexnet License Status. Is the USER=Laptop or Laptop-HP? And is the PC=DESKTOP or DESKTOP/1055? Also, I hope this won't prevent me from borrowing the license to my laptop permanently. Users of ansys: (Total of 1 license issued; Total of 1 license in use) "ansys" v2021.0131, vendor: ansyslmd, expiry: 1-jan-0 floating license Laptop Laptop-HP Laptop-HP (v2019.1113) (DESKTOP/1055 101), start Sun 5/26 16:16 (linger: 319687 / 374820) {Borrowed until Fri, 31 May 2024 00:23:41 CDT. ( Duration remaining is 3 days 16 hours 48 minutes and 7 seconds ) } Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 -----Original Message----- From: Uffe Dal Eriksen via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Monday, May 27, 2024 1:58 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: Uffe Dal Eriksen <UDE@ramboll.com> Subject: [Xansys] FW: Re: licensing issue after power failure Resend, sorry... a few lines got messed up. ---------- James. We get this (or a very similar) issue some times when a user loses connection to the network and accesses a different network (as in: through a different network adapter). For instance, if a laptop is connected to the cabled network through a docking station, then when disconnecting from the docking station the laptop will automatically access the wifi network instead. This is seen by the license manager as a 'new' license request, and troubles ensue... These 'dead' licenses are usually released after a couple of hours (but typically not after the default one hour). I am not sure how borrowed licenses are handled... For what it is worth, it is possible to force-release stuck licenses via a DOS prompt (assuming Windows). Below is my small batch file, which releases ALL licenses of a specific type for a specific user on a specific machine. Obviously, the SET variables should be replaced by your own data. ----------------------- SET SERVER=1055@license_server SET FEATURE=ansys SET USER=whatever SET PC=whatever (as listed in the license usage report) cd C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\Licensing\winx64 lmutil.exe lmremove -c %SERVER% %FEATURE% %USER% %PC% %PC% ----------------------- Kind regards Uffe Dal Eriksen Ramboll Energy Denmark Classification: Confidential -----Original Message----- From: Uffe Dal Eriksen Sent: 27. maj 2024 08:51 To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: RE: [Xansys] Re: licensing issue after power failure James. We get this (or a very similar) issue some times when a user loses connection to the network and accesses a different network (as in: through a different network adapter). For instance, if a laptop is connected to the cabled network through a docking station, then when disconnecting from the docking station the laptop will automatically access the wifi network instead. This is seen by the license manager as a 'new' license request, and troubles ensue... These 'dead' licenses are usually released after a couple of hours (but typically not after the default one hour). I am not sure how borrowed licenses are handled... For what it is worth, it is possible to force-release stuck licenses via a DOS prompt (assuming Windows). Below is my small batch file, which releases ALL licenses of a specific type for a specific user on a specific machine. Obviously, the SET variables should be replaced by your own data. ----------------------- SET SERVER=1055@license_server SET FEATURE=ansys SET USER=whatever SET PC=whatever (as listed in the license usage report) cd C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\Licensing\winx64 lmutil.exe lmremove -c %SERVER% %FEATURE% %USER% %PC% %PC% ----------------------- Kind regards Uffe Dal Eriksen Ramboll Energy Denmark -----Original Message----- From: James Garroni via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: 26. maj 2024 22:29 To: 'Dennis' <dkawa@shaw.ca>; 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: [Xansys] Re: licensing issue after power failure Hi Dennis, nice to hear from you, hope all is well. I've found a bit more information on the Ansys licensing issue. I ran the license manager (2020 R1 by the way) and under the Display Flexnet License Status it shows that the license has been borrowed to my laptop until May 30, 2024. I did borrow the license to my laptop for a couple days, but then returned it this morning and was working on the desktop when the power went out. I suppose its possible that on May 30 everything might return to normal, but then I've lost 5 days. I tried re-booting the license machine. Didn't work. Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 -----Original Message----- From: Dennis <dkawa@shaw.ca> Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2024 2:52 PM To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: RE: [Xansys] licensing issue after power failure Hi Jamie Try rebooting the license machine. Dennis Kawa -----Original Message----- From: James Garroni via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2024 9:43 AM To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: [Xansys] licensing issue after power failure Hello all, I was using Ansys APDL when a power failure occurred. After the power was restored, I could not restart Ansys. The message I get is "Insufficient ANSYS Mechanical Enterprise licenses available". I've tried using the Ansys License Manager to stop and start the license, to no avail. It continues to think there is a license in use. The FlexNet Licensing error I get is -4,132. The -4 indicates insufficient licenses but the 132 is not listed in the error codes. Could anyone suggest a way to reset the license manager so it doesn't think the license is already in use? Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
MR
Matthew Ridzon
Tue, May 28, 2024 10:44 AM

Not sure if this website might help, but worth a shot.

https://install.simutechgroup.com/how-to-release-a-stuck-license?from_search=148388505

-Matt

[...]

Not sure if this website might help, but worth a shot. https://install.simutechgroup.com/how-to-release-a-stuck-license?from_search=148388505 -Matt -----Original Message----- From: James Garroni via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: May 27, 2024 8:58 AM To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: 'Uffe Dal Eriksen' <UDE@ramboll.com>; jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: [Xansys] Re: FW: Re: licensing issue after power failure Thanks for the reply Mr. Eriksen, Your solution looks promising, but I think I may be executing it incorrectly. I've printed below the output when I display the Flexnet License Status. Is the USER=Laptop or Laptop-HP? And is the PC=DESKTOP or DESKTOP/1055? Also, I hope this won't prevent me from borrowing the license to my laptop permanently. Users of ansys: (Total of 1 license issued; Total of 1 license in use) "ansys" v2021.0131, vendor: ansyslmd, expiry: 1-jan-0 floating license Laptop Laptop-HP Laptop-HP (v2019.1113) (DESKTOP/1055 101), start Sun 5/26 16:16 (linger: 319687 / 374820) {Borrowed until Fri, 31 May 2024 00:23:41 CDT. ( Duration remaining is 3 days 16 hours 48 minutes and 7 seconds ) } Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 -----Original Message----- From: Uffe Dal Eriksen via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Monday, May 27, 2024 1:58 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: Uffe Dal Eriksen <UDE@ramboll.com> Subject: [Xansys] FW: Re: licensing issue after power failure Resend, sorry... a few lines got messed up. ---------- James. We get this (or a very similar) issue some times when a user loses connection to the network and accesses a different network (as in: through a different network adapter). For instance, if a laptop is connected to the cabled network through a docking station, then when disconnecting from the docking station the laptop will automatically access the wifi network instead. This is seen by the license manager as a 'new' license request, and troubles ensue... These 'dead' licenses are usually released after a couple of hours (but typically not after the default one hour). I am not sure how borrowed licenses are handled... For what it is worth, it is possible to force-release stuck licenses via a DOS prompt (assuming Windows). Below is my small batch file, which releases ALL licenses of a specific type for a specific user on a specific machine. Obviously, the SET variables should be replaced by your own data. ----------------------- SET SERVER=1055@license_server SET FEATURE=ansys SET USER=whatever SET PC=whatever (as listed in the license usage report) cd C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\Licensing\winx64 lmutil.exe lmremove -c %SERVER% %FEATURE% %USER% %PC% %PC% ----------------------- Kind regards Uffe Dal Eriksen Ramboll Energy Denmark Classification: Confidential -----Original Message----- From: Uffe Dal Eriksen Sent: 27. maj 2024 08:51 To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: RE: [Xansys] Re: licensing issue after power failure James. We get this (or a very similar) issue some times when a user loses connection to the network and accesses a different network (as in: through a different network adapter). For instance, if a laptop is connected to the cabled network through a docking station, then when disconnecting from the docking station the laptop will automatically access the wifi network instead. This is seen by the license manager as a 'new' license request, and troubles ensue... These 'dead' licenses are usually released after a couple of hours (but typically not after the default one hour). I am not sure how borrowed licenses are handled... For what it is worth, it is possible to force-release stuck licenses via a DOS prompt (assuming Windows). Below is my small batch file, which releases ALL licenses of a specific type for a specific user on a specific machine. Obviously, the SET variables should be replaced by your own data. ----------------------- SET SERVER=1055@license_server SET FEATURE=ansys SET USER=whatever SET PC=whatever (as listed in the license usage report) cd C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\Licensing\winx64 lmutil.exe lmremove -c %SERVER% %FEATURE% %USER% %PC% %PC% ----------------------- Kind regards Uffe Dal Eriksen Ramboll Energy Denmark -----Original Message----- From: James Garroni via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: 26. maj 2024 22:29 To: 'Dennis' <dkawa@shaw.ca>; 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: [Xansys] Re: licensing issue after power failure Hi Dennis, nice to hear from you, hope all is well. I've found a bit more information on the Ansys licensing issue. I ran the license manager (2020 R1 by the way) and under the Display Flexnet License Status it shows that the license has been borrowed to my laptop until May 30, 2024. I did borrow the license to my laptop for a couple days, but then returned it this morning and was working on the desktop when the power went out. I suppose its possible that on May 30 everything might return to normal, but then I've lost 5 days. I tried re-booting the license machine. Didn't work. Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 -----Original Message----- From: Dennis <dkawa@shaw.ca> Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2024 2:52 PM To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: RE: [Xansys] licensing issue after power failure Hi Jamie Try rebooting the license machine. Dennis Kawa -----Original Message----- From: James Garroni via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2024 9:43 AM To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: [Xansys] licensing issue after power failure Hello all, I was using Ansys APDL when a power failure occurred. After the power was restored, I could not restart Ansys. The message I get is "Insufficient ANSYS Mechanical Enterprise licenses available". I've tried using the Ansys License Manager to stop and start the license, to no avail. It continues to think there is a license in use. The FlexNet Licensing error I get is -4,132. The -4 indicates insufficient licenses but the 132 is not listed in the error codes. Could anyone suggest a way to reset the license manager so it doesn't think the license is already in use? Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
jgarroni@shaw.ca
Tue, May 28, 2024 1:10 PM

Hi Math,

Yes, that's the site I found yesterday that fixed the problem.  I described
it but didn't know if the group accepted web links.

[...]

Hi Math, Yes, that's the site I found yesterday that fixed the problem. I described it but didn't know if the group accepted web links. Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 -----Original Message----- From: Matthew Ridzon <Matt@prime-engineer.com> Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2024 5:44 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: 'Uffe Dal Eriksen' <UDE@ramboll.com>; jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: RE: [Xansys] Re: FW: Re: licensing issue after power failure Not sure if this website might help, but worth a shot. https://install.simutechgroup.com/how-to-release-a-stuck-license?from_search =148388505 -Matt -----Original Message----- From: James Garroni via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: May 27, 2024 8:58 AM To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: 'Uffe Dal Eriksen' <UDE@ramboll.com>; jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: [Xansys] Re: FW: Re: licensing issue after power failure Thanks for the reply Mr. Eriksen, Your solution looks promising, but I think I may be executing it incorrectly. I've printed below the output when I display the Flexnet License Status. Is the USER=Laptop or Laptop-HP? And is the PC=DESKTOP or DESKTOP/1055? Also, I hope this won't prevent me from borrowing the license to my laptop permanently. Users of ansys: (Total of 1 license issued; Total of 1 license in use) "ansys" v2021.0131, vendor: ansyslmd, expiry: 1-jan-0 floating license Laptop Laptop-HP Laptop-HP (v2019.1113) (DESKTOP/1055 101), start Sun 5/26 16:16 (linger: 319687 / 374820) {Borrowed until Fri, 31 May 2024 00:23:41 CDT. ( Duration remaining is 3 days 16 hours 48 minutes and 7 seconds ) } Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 -----Original Message----- From: Uffe Dal Eriksen via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Monday, May 27, 2024 1:58 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: Uffe Dal Eriksen <UDE@ramboll.com> Subject: [Xansys] FW: Re: licensing issue after power failure Resend, sorry... a few lines got messed up. ---------- James. We get this (or a very similar) issue some times when a user loses connection to the network and accesses a different network (as in: through a different network adapter). For instance, if a laptop is connected to the cabled network through a docking station, then when disconnecting from the docking station the laptop will automatically access the wifi network instead. This is seen by the license manager as a 'new' license request, and troubles ensue... These 'dead' licenses are usually released after a couple of hours (but typically not after the default one hour). I am not sure how borrowed licenses are handled... For what it is worth, it is possible to force-release stuck licenses via a DOS prompt (assuming Windows). Below is my small batch file, which releases ALL licenses of a specific type for a specific user on a specific machine. Obviously, the SET variables should be replaced by your own data. ----------------------- SET SERVER=1055@license_server SET FEATURE=ansys SET USER=whatever SET PC=whatever (as listed in the license usage report) cd C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\Licensing\winx64 lmutil.exe lmremove -c %SERVER% %FEATURE% %USER% %PC% %PC% ----------------------- Kind regards Uffe Dal Eriksen Ramboll Energy Denmark Classification: Confidential -----Original Message----- From: Uffe Dal Eriksen Sent: 27. maj 2024 08:51 To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: RE: [Xansys] Re: licensing issue after power failure James. We get this (or a very similar) issue some times when a user loses connection to the network and accesses a different network (as in: through a different network adapter). For instance, if a laptop is connected to the cabled network through a docking station, then when disconnecting from the docking station the laptop will automatically access the wifi network instead. This is seen by the license manager as a 'new' license request, and troubles ensue... These 'dead' licenses are usually released after a couple of hours (but typically not after the default one hour). I am not sure how borrowed licenses are handled... For what it is worth, it is possible to force-release stuck licenses via a DOS prompt (assuming Windows). Below is my small batch file, which releases ALL licenses of a specific type for a specific user on a specific machine. Obviously, the SET variables should be replaced by your own data. ----------------------- SET SERVER=1055@license_server SET FEATURE=ansys SET USER=whatever SET PC=whatever (as listed in the license usage report) cd C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\Licensing\winx64 lmutil.exe lmremove -c %SERVER% %FEATURE% %USER% %PC% %PC% ----------------------- Kind regards Uffe Dal Eriksen Ramboll Energy Denmark -----Original Message----- From: James Garroni via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: 26. maj 2024 22:29 To: 'Dennis' <dkawa@shaw.ca>; 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: [Xansys] Re: licensing issue after power failure Hi Dennis, nice to hear from you, hope all is well. I've found a bit more information on the Ansys licensing issue. I ran the license manager (2020 R1 by the way) and under the Display Flexnet License Status it shows that the license has been borrowed to my laptop until May 30, 2024. I did borrow the license to my laptop for a couple days, but then returned it this morning and was working on the desktop when the power went out. I suppose its possible that on May 30 everything might return to normal, but then I've lost 5 days. I tried re-booting the license machine. Didn't work. Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 -----Original Message----- From: Dennis <dkawa@shaw.ca> Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2024 2:52 PM To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: RE: [Xansys] licensing issue after power failure Hi Jamie Try rebooting the license machine. Dennis Kawa -----Original Message----- From: James Garroni via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2024 9:43 AM To: 'XANSYS Mailing List Home' <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: jgarroni@shaw.ca Subject: [Xansys] licensing issue after power failure Hello all, I was using Ansys APDL when a power failure occurred. After the power was restored, I could not restart Ansys. The message I get is "Insufficient ANSYS Mechanical Enterprise licenses available". I've tried using the Ansys License Manager to stop and start the license, to no avail. It continues to think there is a license in use. The FlexNet Licensing error I get is -4,132. The -4 indicates insufficient licenses but the 132 is not listed in the error codes. Could anyone suggest a way to reset the license manager so it doesn't think the license is already in use? Regards, James Garroni, P. Eng. Engineering Simulations Inc. 66 Dockside Way, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3X 2E8 Ph. (204) 256-1237, Mobile (204) 794-4385 _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list