Putting a mesh on triangle faceted surface

BD
Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US)
Mon, May 9, 2022 11:14 AM

Dear Ansys Gurus,

I have a surface geometry given to me as a set of faceted triangles.  Perfect for the faces of some 3D tet elements.    My brain fart is I don't know - in classic al Ansys  (ADPL)  how to throw some more surfaces in there to make a volume I can tet mesh.  The other surfaces will be interior to the part and will be the cut boundaries for a CBDOF submodel - so they can be a bit arbitrary as far as size and shape.

At this time we are trying to morph and existing stress model with the surface definition, but the existing mesh isn't really fine enough to capture the stress concentrations of this newly defined surface.

Any ideas?

Dan Bohlen
Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis
STAR review chairman, Cold Structures, Mounts
GE Aircraft Engines
1 Neumann Way
Evendale, OH  45215  USA

Build B90 Col. H5  cube BK35-251
M/D H358  Cell  513-917-3402

Building 200 Col. G3  cube BC088  Desk Phone 3-8816

"In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming

[...]
CA
Caba, Aaron (US)
Mon, May 9, 2022 9:57 PM

Sorry, not APDL:

Can you slice-and-dice the tessellated surfaces in SpaceClaim then stitch into a solid sub-model?  SpaceClaim also has a tool "Skin Surface" that will extract a smooth surface from a faceted surface.  It would require hand-editing the geometry, but either method would provide you with a solid, smooth sub-model for the CBDOF.  Not easy to integrate into an automated pipeline, but OK for a 1-off type analysis.

Aaron C. Caba, Ph.D.
Sr. Principal R&D Engineer II
BAE Systems, Inc. | Ordnance Systems, Inc.

E-mail: aaron.caba@baesystems.com | Mail:  4050 Peppers Ferry Road, Radford VA 24143-0100
www.baesystems.com

This email has been sent from an account outside of the BAE Systems network.
Please treat the email with caution, especially if you are requested to click on a link, decrypt/open an attachment, or enable macros.  For further information on how to spot phishing, access OSI IT Policies and report phishing by forwarding mail to phishing@baesystems.com.

[...]

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Sorry, not APDL: Can you slice-and-dice the tessellated surfaces in SpaceClaim then stitch into a solid sub-model? SpaceClaim also has a tool "Skin Surface" that will extract a smooth surface from a faceted surface. It would require hand-editing the geometry, but either method would provide you with a solid, smooth sub-model for the CBDOF. Not easy to integrate into an automated pipeline, but OK for a 1-off type analysis. Aaron C. Caba, Ph.D. Sr. Principal R&D Engineer II BAE Systems, Inc. | Ordnance Systems, Inc. E-mail: aaron.caba@baesystems.com | Mail: 4050 Peppers Ferry Road, Radford VA 24143-0100 www.baesystems.com -----Original Message----- From: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aviation, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> Sent: Monday, May 9, 2022 7:14 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: [Xansys] Putting a mesh on triangle faceted surface External Email Alert This email has been sent from an account outside of the BAE Systems network. Please treat the email with caution, especially if you are requested to click on a link, decrypt/open an attachment, or enable macros. For further information on how to spot phishing, access OSI IT Policies and report phishing by forwarding mail to phishing@baesystems.com. Dear Ansys Gurus, I have a surface geometry given to me as a set of faceted triangles. Perfect for the faces of some 3D tet elements. My brain fart is I don't know - in classic al Ansys (ADPL) how to throw some more surfaces in there to make a volume I can tet mesh. The other surfaces will be interior to the part and will be the cut boundaries for a CBDOF submodel - so they can be a bit arbitrary as far as size and shape. At this time we are trying to morph and existing stress model with the surface definition, but the existing mesh isn't really fine enough to capture the stress concentrations of this newly defined surface. Any ideas? Dan Bohlen Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis STAR review chairman, Cold Structures, Mounts GE Aircraft Engines 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA Build B90 Col. H5 cube BK35-251 M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 Building 200 Col. G3 cube BC088 Desk Phone 3-8816 "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list