[STRUCT] Bending moment and solid elements

FP
Francesca Pistorio
Sun, Dec 18, 2022 3:30 PM

Good morning,

I would like to apply a bending moment to a beam modelled with solid elements. However, solid elements have only ux, uy and uz DOFs.

Actually, I’m interested in the stress stae caused by the bending moment and I have also tried to apply it to each node using the “sf” command. Unfortunately, I did not obtain the correct result.

Is there a way to solve this problem?

Thank you for your time and help.

Francesca

Student at Politecnico di Torino

Good morning, I would like to apply a bending moment to a beam modelled with solid elements. However, solid elements have only ux, uy and uz DOFs. Actually, I’m interested in the stress stae caused by the bending moment and I have also tried to apply it to each node using the “sf” command. Unfortunately, I did not obtain the correct result. Is there a way to solve this problem? Thank you for your time and help. Francesca Student at Politecnico di Torino
CW
Christopher Wright
Sun, Dec 18, 2022 4:24 PM

On Dec 18, 2022, at 9:30 AM, Francesca Pistorio francesca.pistorio@polito.it wrote:

Is there a way to solve this problem?

Yes. But you need to explain in logical detail what you've actually done and how—logically—you know something is wrong and how you've tried to fix it. No one can possibly diagnose the problem because you haven't actually explained what the problem is.

Give some thought to posing the question properly—so you don't keep wasting your time and everyone else's. Describe what you've done in detail; explain what exactly made you decide you've screwed up and measures you've taken to fix it. A problem this simple with a closed form solution is trivial—chances are the mistake is obvious and equally trivial.

Christopher Wright P.E. (ret'd) |"They couldn't hit an elephant at
chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.
http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/ | John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania (1864)

> On Dec 18, 2022, at 9:30 AM, Francesca Pistorio <francesca.pistorio@polito.it> wrote: > > Is there a way to solve this problem? Yes. But you need to explain in logical detail what you've actually done and how—logically—you know something is wrong and how you've tried to fix it. No one can possibly diagnose the problem because you haven't actually explained what the problem is. Give some thought to posing the question properly—so you don't keep wasting your time and everyone else's. Describe what you've done in detail; explain what exactly made you decide you've screwed up and measures you've taken to fix it. A problem this simple with a closed form solution is trivial—chances are the mistake is obvious and equally trivial. Christopher Wright P.E. (ret'd) |"They couldn't hit an elephant at chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen. http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/ | John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania (1864)
FP
Francesca Pistorio
Sun, Dec 18, 2022 5:28 PM

I’m sorry for the lack of clarity. I would try to explain the problem better.

I would like  to model a beam subjected to a certain bending moment "M". I’m interested in the stress state caused by the bending moment M. I’m trying to solve a fracture mechanics problem, so I could just get the stress from this bending moment.

In addition, I need to use solid elements (eg solid186). However,  the problem is that solid elements do not have rotational degrees of freedom so I cannot directly apply a bending moment M.

From the beam theory, I can indirectly calculate the stress due to the bending moment and apply it as pressure using the command "sf". In particular this stress is proportional to the coordinate "z" (which is the coordinate along the thickness of the beam).

Therefore, I created a *do cycle, and applied the same pressure to all nodes with the same z-coordinate. So the stress will be:

stress=coefficient (from the beam theory)*z-coordinate

My analysis doesn’t converge and I think this depends on how I’m applying the  pressure using the sf command.

I hope you can give me some suggestions.

Thank you for your help and time.

Inviato da Postahttps://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986 per Windows