FW: Crowd sourcing : turning off spin softening for a modal analysis

BD
Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US)
Wed, Mar 22, 2023 12:24 PM

Hi All,

I have rotating part that I'm doing a cyclic symmetry (1/8 sector) prestressed modal analysis on.  One of the requirements I was given was for spin softening to be turned OFF for the modal analysis.

Seems to be on by default....options for modal analysis

                  L O A D   S T E P   O P T I O N S

LOAD STEP NUMBER. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .    1
CYCLIC SYMMETRY HARMONIC INDEX. . . . . . . . .    4
SPIN SOFTENING EFFECTS. . . . . . . . . . . . .    ON
INERTIA LOADS                        X          Y          Z
OMEGA. . . . . . . . . . . .  0.0000      0.0000      1561.8
PRINT OUTPUT CONTROLS . . . . . . . . . . . . .NO PRINTOUT
DATABASE OUTPUT CONTROLS. . . . . . . . . . . .ALL DATA WRITTEN

For some reason I thought turning it off was part of the omega command, but I seem be wrong.

The CORIOLIS  command looks like it might be the ticket, but not sure.  Also not sure that command works on my element type (SOLID45).

Is it as simple as setting the speed to zero for the modal solution?  I am not even sure what Ansys does with speed in a modal solution.

Hope someone out there has dealt with this.

Thanks,

Dan Bohlen
Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis
STAR review chairman, military structures
NGP engine focal
GE Aerospace
1 Neumann Way
Evendale, OH  45215  USA

Build B90 Col. H5  cube BK35-251
M/D H358  Cell  513-917-3402

Building 200 Col. G3  cube BC088  Desk Phone 3-8816

GE FOCUS:  Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost

"In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming

[...]
EM
Eric Miller
Wed, Mar 22, 2023 1:38 PM

Dan,

I fought long and hard to get them to add Spin Softening. But I also seem to remember a way to turn it on and off. But can't remember what.

I assume you want stress stiffening, but not spin softening? If not, then just setting omega to 0 will work.

The program calculates the adjustment to the stiffness matrix if any of the following are turned on: NLGEOM, On, PSTRES, On, or CORIOLIS, ON

You probably want keep the PSTRES, ON.  So I'm not sure how to do stress stiffening and not spin softening.

3.5 in the Theory manual goes over all the minutia.

So I'm stumped as well.

Eric

-----------------------------
  Eric Miller
  Co-Owner & Principal
  PADT, Inc.
  www.padtinc.com
  480.813.4884
  eric.miller@padtinc.com
-----------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  Unless you are the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding, printing or otherwise disseminating the information contained in or attached to this email is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by telephone, and immediately and permanently delete and destroy all copies and printouts of this email message and/or attachments.
-----------------------------

[...]

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Dan, I fought long and hard to get them to add Spin Softening. But I also seem to remember a way to turn it on and off. But can't remember what. I assume you want stress stiffening, but not spin softening? If not, then just setting omega to 0 will work. The program calculates the adjustment to the stiffness matrix if any of the following are turned on: NLGEOM, On, PSTRES, On, or CORIOLIS, ON You probably want keep the PSTRES, ON. So I'm not sure how to do stress stiffening and not spin softening. 3.5 in the Theory manual goes over all the minutia. So I'm stumped as well. Eric -----------------------------    Eric Miller   Co-Owner & Principal   PADT, Inc.   www.padtinc.com   480.813.4884   eric.miller@padtinc.com -----------------------------  CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Unless you are the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding, printing or otherwise disseminating the information contained in or attached to this email is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by telephone, and immediately and permanently delete and destroy all copies and printouts of this email message and/or attachments. -----------------------------  -----Original Message----- From: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2023 5:24 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: [Xansys] FW: Crowd sourcing : turning off spin softening for a modal analysis Hi All, I have rotating part that I'm doing a cyclic symmetry (1/8 sector) prestressed modal analysis on. One of the requirements I was given was for spin softening to be turned OFF for the modal analysis. Seems to be on by default....options for modal analysis L O A D S T E P O P T I O N S LOAD STEP NUMBER. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 CYCLIC SYMMETRY HARMONIC INDEX. . . . . . . . . 4 SPIN SOFTENING EFFECTS. . . . . . . . . . . . . ON INERTIA LOADS X Y Z OMEGA. . . . . . . . . . . . 0.0000 0.0000 1561.8 PRINT OUTPUT CONTROLS . . . . . . . . . . . . .NO PRINTOUT DATABASE OUTPUT CONTROLS. . . . . . . . . . . .ALL DATA WRITTEN For some reason I thought turning it off was part of the omega command, but I seem be wrong. The CORIOLIS command looks like it might be the ticket, but not sure. Also not sure that command works on my element type (SOLID45). Is it as simple as setting the speed to zero for the modal solution? I am not even sure what Ansys does with speed in a modal solution. Hope someone out there has dealt with this. Thanks, Dan Bohlen Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis STAR review chairman, military structures NGP engine focal GE Aerospace 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA Build B90 Col. H5 cube BK35-251 M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 Building 200 Col. G3 cube BC088 Desk Phone 3-8816 GE FOCUS: Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
PS
Parameshwarayya S Mathapati
Wed, Mar 22, 2023 1:53 PM

[...]

Below link may provide some thought https://imechanica.org/node/3792 https://www.google.com/search?q=spin+sfotening+off+in+ANSYS&oq=spin+sfotening+off+in+ANSYS+&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i10i160l4.18050j0j7&client=ms-android-xiaomi-rvo2b&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=cVjuKCQp2F9iBM Please copy and paste above path On Wed, 22 Mar, 2023, 5:54 pm Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US), < dan.bohlen@ge.com> wrote: > > Hi All, > > I have rotating part that I'm doing a cyclic symmetry (1/8 sector) > prestressed modal analysis on. One of the requirements I was given was > for spin softening to be turned OFF for the modal analysis. > > Seems to be on by default....options for modal analysis > > L O A D S T E P O P T I O N S > > LOAD STEP NUMBER. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 > CYCLIC SYMMETRY HARMONIC INDEX. . . . . . . . . 4 > SPIN SOFTENING EFFECTS. . . . . . . . . . . . . ON > INERTIA LOADS X Y Z > OMEGA. . . . . . . . . . . . 0.0000 0.0000 1561.8 > PRINT OUTPUT CONTROLS . . . . . . . . . . . . .NO PRINTOUT > DATABASE OUTPUT CONTROLS. . . . . . . . . . . .ALL DATA WRITTEN > > For some reason I thought turning it off was part of the omega command, > but I seem be wrong. > > The CORIOLIS command looks like it might be the ticket, but not sure. > Also not sure that command works on my element type (SOLID45). > > Is it as simple as setting the speed to zero for the modal solution? I am > not even sure what Ansys does with speed in a modal solution. > > Hope someone out there has dealt with this. > > Thanks, > > Dan Bohlen > Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis > STAR review chairman, military structures > NGP engine focal > GE Aerospace > 1 Neumann Way > Evendale, OH 45215 USA > > Build B90 Col. H5 cube BK35-251 > M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 > > Building 200 Col. G3 cube BC088 Desk Phone 3-8816 > > GE FOCUS: Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost > > "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming > > > _______________________________________________ > Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org > To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org > If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing > account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > > Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to > xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list >
KD
Keith DiRienz
Wed, Mar 22, 2023 4:30 PM

Is this what you're looking for ?

Keith DiRienz, P.E.
FEA Technologies

Dana Point, CA

Modal Analysis Options Category

For Modal analyses, the Options group includes the following
controls:Max Modes to Find
Specifies the number of natural frequencies to solve for in a modal analysis.

Limit Search Range
Allows you to specify a frequency range within which to find the
natural frequencies. The default is set to No. If you set this to
Yes, you can enter a minimum and maximum frequency value. If you
specify a range the solver will strive to extract as many frequencies
as possible within the specified range subject to a maximum specified
in the Max Modes to Find field.

Spin Softening
Enables you to specify whether to include or exclude Spin Softening
effect in the linear perturbation analyses. This field is available
when performing a Pre-Stressed Modal analysis. The options include
Program Controlled (default), Yes, and No. The Program Controlled
setting selects either to include or exclude Spin Softening in the
solution based on whether the rotating reference frame attached to
the body is fixed (Yes) or in motion (No). The Yes option is invalid
if the Coriolis Effect property
(file:///C:/Program%20Files/ANSYS%20Inc/v182/commonfiles/help/en-us/help/wb_sim/ds_rotordyn_controls.htmlRotordynamics
Controls) is set to On.
For more information, refer to the
file:///C:/Program%20Files/ANSYS%20Inc/v182/commonfiles/help/en-us/help/ans_cmd/Hlp_C_PERTURB.htmlPERTURB
command from MAPDL Command Reference Guide.

At 05:24 AM 3/22/2023, you wrote:

[...]

Is this what you're looking for ? Keith DiRienz, P.E. FEA Technologies Dana Point, CA -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Modal Analysis Options Category For Modal analyses, the Options group includes the following controls:Max Modes to Find Specifies the number of natural frequencies to solve for in a modal analysis. Limit Search Range Allows you to specify a frequency range within which to find the natural frequencies. The default is set to No. If you set this to Yes, you can enter a minimum and maximum frequency value. If you specify a range the solver will strive to extract as many frequencies as possible within the specified range subject to a maximum specified in the Max Modes to Find field. Spin Softening Enables you to specify whether to include or exclude Spin Softening effect in the linear perturbation analyses. This field is available when performing a Pre-Stressed Modal analysis. The options include Program Controlled (default), Yes, and No. The Program Controlled setting selects either to include or exclude Spin Softening in the solution based on whether the rotating reference frame attached to the body is fixed (Yes) or in motion (No). The Yes option is invalid if the Coriolis Effect property (<file:///C:/Program%20Files/ANSYS%20Inc/v182/commonfiles/help/en-us/help/wb_sim/ds_rotordyn_controls.html>Rotordynamics Controls) is set to On. For more information, refer to the <file:///C:/Program%20Files/ANSYS%20Inc/v182/commonfiles/help/en-us/help/ans_cmd/Hlp_C_PERTURB.html>PERTURB command from MAPDL Command Reference Guide. At 05:24 AM 3/22/2023, you wrote: >Hi All, > >I have rotating part that I'm doing a cyclic symmetry (1/8 sector) >prestressed modal analysis on. One of the requirements I was given >was for spin softening to be turned OFF for the modal analysis. > >Seems to be on by default....options for modal analysis > > L O A D S T E P O P T I O N S > > LOAD STEP NUMBER. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 > CYCLIC SYMMETRY HARMONIC INDEX. . . . . . . . . 4 > SPIN SOFTENING EFFECTS. . . . . . . . . . . . . ON > INERTIA LOADS X Y Z > OMEGA. . . . . . . . . . . . 0.0000 0.0000 1561.8 > PRINT OUTPUT CONTROLS . . . . . . . . . . . . .NO PRINTOUT > DATABASE OUTPUT CONTROLS. . . . . . . . . . . .ALL DATA WRITTEN > >For some reason I thought turning it off was part of the omega >command, but I seem be wrong. > >The CORIOLIS command looks like it might be the ticket, but not >sure. Also not sure that command works on my element type (SOLID45). > >Is it as simple as setting the speed to zero for the modal >solution? I am not even sure what Ansys does with speed in a modal solution. > >Hope someone out there has dealt with this. > >Thanks, > >Dan Bohlen >Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis
JM
Joe Metrisin
Thu, Mar 23, 2023 12:25 PM

The perturb,,spoff command that Keith mentioned seems to be the way to go.
You can probably blame me for the spin softening setting not on the omega
command anymore.  I lobbied ANSYS years ago to make it a default because I
couldn't see a case where it wasn't valid to include it.

BTW....  stress stiffening, spin softening, and Coriolis are all different
effects.

Joseph T Metrisin
Structures Lead

Florida Turbine Technologies, Inc a KRATOS Company
1701 Military Tr. Suite 110 | Jupiter, FL 33458 USA
+1 (561) 427-6346 Office | +1 (772) 834-4156 Mobile
Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com

We are hiring; Join the FTT Team in Jupiter, Florida
Visit our website: https://kratosdefense.com

Confidentiality Note:
The information contained in this transmission and any attachments are
proprietary and may be privileged, intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If
you received this communication in error, please delete the message and
immediately notify the sender via the contact information listed above.

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not
click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the
content is safe.

[...]

The perturb,,spoff command that Keith mentioned seems to be the way to go. You can probably blame me for the spin softening setting not on the omega command anymore. I lobbied ANSYS years ago to make it a default because I couldn't see a case where it wasn't valid to include it. BTW.... stress stiffening, spin softening, and Coriolis are all different effects. Joseph T Metrisin Structures Lead Florida Turbine Technologies, Inc a KRATOS Company 1701 Military Tr. Suite 110 | Jupiter, FL 33458 USA +1 (561) 427-6346 Office | +1 (772) 834-4156 Mobile Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com We are hiring; Join the FTT Team in Jupiter, Florida Visit our website: https://kratosdefense.com Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this transmission and any attachments are proprietary and may be privileged, intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you received this communication in error, please delete the message and immediately notify the sender via the contact information listed above. -----Original Message----- From: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2023 8:24 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Subject: [External] - [Xansys] FW: Crowd sourcing : turning off spin softening for a modal analysis CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Hi All, I have rotating part that I'm doing a cyclic symmetry (1/8 sector) prestressed modal analysis on. One of the requirements I was given was for spin softening to be turned OFF for the modal analysis. Seems to be on by default....options for modal analysis L O A D S T E P O P T I O N S LOAD STEP NUMBER. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 CYCLIC SYMMETRY HARMONIC INDEX. . . . . . . . . 4 SPIN SOFTENING EFFECTS. . . . . . . . . . . . . ON INERTIA LOADS X Y Z OMEGA. . . . . . . . . . . . 0.0000 0.0000 1561.8 PRINT OUTPUT CONTROLS . . . . . . . . . . . . .NO PRINTOUT DATABASE OUTPUT CONTROLS. . . . . . . . . . . .ALL DATA WRITTEN For some reason I thought turning it off was part of the omega command, but I seem be wrong. The CORIOLIS command looks like it might be the ticket, but not sure. Also not sure that command works on my element type (SOLID45). Is it as simple as setting the speed to zero for the modal solution? I am not even sure what Ansys does with speed in a modal solution. Hope someone out there has dealt with this. Thanks, Dan Bohlen Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis STAR review chairman, military structures NGP engine focal GE Aerospace 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA Build B90 Col. H5 cube BK35-251 M/D H358 Cell 513-917-3402 Building 200 Col. G3 cube BC088 Desk Phone 3-8816 GE FOCUS: Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost "In God we trust, all others bring data." W Edwards Deming _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list