For Ansys ADPL (classic) anyone have an idea of how tiny time can be in the TIME,xxx command for static struct analysis

BD
Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US)
Thu, Aug 22, 2024 5:32 PM

Hi All,

We are looking to suppress any creep from occurring.  Wondered if anyone new this offhand versus me trying tinier and tinier values.

Thanks,

Dan Bohlen
Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis
STAR review chairman, military structures
GE Aerospace
1 Neumann Way
Evendale, OH  45215  USA

Hi All, We are looking to suppress any creep from occurring. Wondered if anyone new this offhand versus me trying tinier and tinier values. Thanks, Dan Bohlen Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis STAR review chairman, military structures GE Aerospace 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA
MR
Matthew Ridzon, PE
Thu, Aug 22, 2024 5:54 PM

I don't know if I can completely tell what your question is.  But from the subject line, I think you are asking how small TIME can be.  Personally, I have run 0.001.  I don't recall trying to go any smaller.

Hopefully that helps!

-Matt

We are looking to suppress any creep from occurring.  Wondered if anyone new this offhand versus me trying tinier and tinier values.

Thanks,

Dan Bohlen
Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis
STAR review chairman, military structures GE Aerospace
1 Neumann Way
Evendale, OH  45215  USA

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

I don't know if I can completely tell what your question is. But from the subject line, I think you are asking how small TIME can be. Personally, I have run 0.001. I don't recall trying to go any smaller. Hopefully that helps! -Matt -----Original Message----- From: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US) via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2024 1:32 PM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> Subject: [Xansys] For Ansys ADPL (classic) anyone have an idea of how tiny time can be in the TIME,xxx command for static struct analysis Hi All, We are looking to suppress any creep from occurring. Wondered if anyone new this offhand versus me trying tinier and tinier values. Thanks, Dan Bohlen Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis STAR review chairman, military structures GE Aerospace 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
BD
Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US)
Thu, Aug 22, 2024 6:01 PM

BTW I have run like time,1e-8 before.  Just wondering how low I can go.  Time,1e-99  ?  I figure there's some double precision number out there as limit.

WARNING: This email originated from outside of GE. Please validate the sender's email address before clicking on links or attachments as they may not be safe.

Hi All,

We are looking to suppress any creep from occurring.  Wondered if anyone new this offhand versus me trying tinier and tinier values.

Thanks,

Dan Bohlen
Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis
STAR review chairman, military structures GE Aerospace
1 Neumann Way
Evendale, OH  45215  USA

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

BTW I have run like time,1e-8 before. Just wondering how low I can go. Time,1e-99 ? I figure there's some double precision number out there as limit. -----Original Message----- From: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US) via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2024 1:32 PM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> Subject: EXT: [Xansys] For Ansys ADPL (classic) anyone have an idea of how tiny time can be in the TIME,xxx command for static struct analysis WARNING: This email originated from outside of GE. Please validate the sender's email address before clicking on links or attachments as they may not be safe. Hi All, We are looking to suppress any creep from occurring. Wondered if anyone new this offhand versus me trying tinier and tinier values. Thanks, Dan Bohlen Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis STAR review chairman, military structures GE Aerospace 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
TH
Ted Harris
Thu, Aug 22, 2024 6:03 PM

Dan,

I've got some old training material which suggests setting time to as small as 1e-8 for establishing initial conditions, and using RATE,OFF to enforce no creep. There are limitations on when RATE,OFF can be applied so check the help for which element types, etc.

Best regards,

-----------------------------
  Ted Harris
  Director, Simulation Support
  PADT, Inc.
  www.padtinc.com
  480.813.4884
  ted.harris@padtinc.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  Unless you are the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding, printing or otherwise disseminating the information contained in or attached to this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by telephone, and immediately and permanently delete and destroy all copies and printouts of this e-mail message and/or attachments.

We are looking to suppress any creep from occurring.  Wondered if anyone new this offhand versus me trying tinier and tinier values.

Thanks,

Dan Bohlen
Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis
STAR review chairman, military structures GE Aerospace
1 Neumann Way
Evendale, OH  45215  USA

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Dan, I've got some old training material which suggests setting time to as small as 1e-8 for establishing initial conditions, and using RATE,OFF to enforce no creep. There are limitations on when RATE,OFF can be applied so check the help for which element types, etc. Best regards, -----------------------------    Ted Harris   Director, Simulation Support   PADT, Inc.   www.padtinc.com   480.813.4884   ted.harris@padtinc.com _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  Unless you are the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding, printing or otherwise disseminating the information contained in or attached to this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by telephone, and immediately and permanently delete and destroy all copies and printouts of this e-mail message and/or attachments. _____________________________________________________________________________________________ -----Original Message----- From: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US) via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2024 10:32 AM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US) <dan.bohlen@ge.com> Subject: [Xansys] For Ansys ADPL (classic) anyone have an idea of how tiny time can be in the TIME,xxx command for static struct analysis Hi All, We are looking to suppress any creep from occurring. Wondered if anyone new this offhand versus me trying tinier and tinier values. Thanks, Dan Bohlen Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis STAR review chairman, military structures GE Aerospace 1 Neumann Way Evendale, OH 45215 USA _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list
MG
Mohammad Gharaibeh
Thu, Aug 22, 2024 7:24 PM

I sometimes use 1e-12 if I need to assume a value is zero when it’s not
exactly permitted to input a solid zero.

---====
Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Hashemite University
P.O. Box 330127
Zarqa, 13133, Jordan
Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771
Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348

---====

I sometimes use 1e-12 if I need to assume a value is zero when it’s not exactly permitted to input a solid zero. ===================================== Mohammad A Gharaibeh, Ph.D. Associate Professor Department of Mechanical Engineering The Hashemite University P.O. Box 330127 Zarqa, 13133, Jordan Tel: +962 - 5 - 390 3333 Ext. 4771 Fax: +962 - 5 - 382 6348 ===================================== On Thu, 22 Aug 2024 at 7:35 PM Bohlen, Dan (GE Aerospace, US) via Xansys < xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> wrote: > Hi All, > > We are looking to suppress any creep from occurring. Wondered if anyone > new this offhand versus me trying tinier and tinier values. > > Thanks, > > Dan Bohlen > Senior Engineer, Stress Analysis > STAR review chairman, military structures > GE Aerospace > 1 Neumann Way > Evendale, OH 45215 USA > > > > > _______________________________________________ > Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org > To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org > If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing > account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. > > Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to > xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list >