[Mechanical] 2-D analysis with axial force

CA
Caba, Aaron (US)
Fri, Jul 23, 2021 3:13 PM

I have a long tubular pressure vessel with material bonded to the inside.  I want to do a 2-D x-section to look at stresses on the inner bore surface.  The cross-section of the part has a funky pattern like this: https://www.nakka-rocketry.net/th_pix/grains1.gif  Because of the shape I cannot use an axisymmetric model.  When the inner bore is pressurized the vessel also experiences an axial load from the pressure.

I see the 2-D plane strain and plane stress analysis types, but they do not take account the axial forces.  Is there a 2-D analysis type that can include axial forces?    I also see the generalized plane strain, but that looks like it only takes into account rotations on the ends.

Aaron C. Caba, Ph.D.
Sr. Principal R&D Engineer
BAE Systems, Inc.
4050 Peppers Ferry Road, Radford VA 24143-0100
www.baesystems.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Caba, Aaron (US) via Xansys xansys-temp@list.xansys.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 2:27 PM
To: XANSYS Mailing List Home xansys-temp@list.xansys.org
Cc: Caba, Aaron (US) Aaron.Caba@baesystems.com
Subject: [Xansys] Re: APDL Scripting in Workbench - Problem 1

External Email Alert

This email has been sent from an account outside of the BAE Systems network.
Please treat the email with caution, especially if you are requested to click on a link, decrypt/open an attachment, or enable macros.  For further information on how to spot phishing, access OSI IT Policies and report phishing by forwarding mail to phishing@baesystems.com.

Sayed,

Second, the tutorial is for ANSYS 7.0 which was released in 2005 and is completely incompatible with the Workbench interface for ANSYS that you are using.  Find a tutorial for your current version of ANSYS.