Remote Solve Manager

JM
Joe Metrisin
Thu, Feb 24, 2022 3:01 PM

When using the RSM cluster monitoring utility, it will only show jobs for
that particular version of ANSYS.  For example, the 2022-R1 cluster monitor
will only show 2022-R1 jobs but a machine could also have 2021-R1 or other
version jobs running.  This makes it pretty useless for determining if
machine resources are available when your installation could have multiple
ANSYS versions running.  Does anyone know a way to get the cluster monitor
to show all ANSYS jobs?

Thanks.

Joseph T Metrisin

Structures Lead

Florida Turbine Technologies, Inc

1701 Military Tr. Suite 110 | Jupiter, FL 33458 USA

+1 (561) 427-6346 Office | +1 (772) 834-4156 Mobile

Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com mailto:Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com

Visit our website:  https://kratosdefense.com/ https://kratosdefense.com

Confidentiality Note:

The information contained in this transmission and any attachments are
proprietary and may be privileged, intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If
you received this communication in error, please delete the message and
immediately notify the sender via the contact information listed above.

When using the RSM cluster monitoring utility, it will only show jobs for that particular version of ANSYS. For example, the 2022-R1 cluster monitor will only show 2022-R1 jobs but a machine could also have 2021-R1 or other version jobs running. This makes it pretty useless for determining if machine resources are available when your installation could have multiple ANSYS versions running. Does anyone know a way to get the cluster monitor to show all ANSYS jobs? Thanks. Joseph T Metrisin Structures Lead Florida Turbine Technologies, Inc 1701 Military Tr. Suite 110 | Jupiter, FL 33458 USA +1 (561) 427-6346 Office | +1 (772) 834-4156 Mobile Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com <mailto:Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com> Visit our website: <https://kratosdefense.com/> https://kratosdefense.com Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this transmission and any attachments are proprietary and may be privileged, intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please delete the message and immediately notify the sender via the contact information listed above. _____
CA
Caba, Aaron (US)
Fri, Feb 25, 2022 8:58 PM

Joe,

This is tangential to your question, but maybe helpful for the future.  Do you have other types of jobs running on the cluster or just ANSYS?  For a heterogeneous job mix, it may make sense to use a dedicated job scheduler for the cluster (SLURM, PBS LSF, etc.) and have all the individual RSM's submit to the master scheduler.  If you have CFD or EM jobs they would all use the same scheduler too, so it would make it more 'fair' (for some values of fair) for everyone.

I'm running SLURM (free!) on my Linux cluster and it allocates by whole node or by core.  We run ANSYS Mechanical, STAR-CCM+ (CFD), and in-house codes and they all use the SLURM scheduler.  Ansys submits from PC->RSM->Slurm->RSM->PC, and it works really well.  The last couple version of ANSYS natively support SLURM from RSM.  For old versions I hacked some of the back-end scrips to get them to talk.  And you can always hand-submit any job from the command line with a little script.

Aaron C. Caba, Ph.D.
Sr. Principal R&D Engineer
BAE Systems, Inc.
4050 Peppers Ferry Road, Radford VA 24143-0100
www.baesystems.com

This email has been sent from an account outside of the BAE Systems network.
Please treat the email with caution, especially if you are requested to click on a link, decrypt/open an attachment, or enable macros.  For further information on how to spot phishing, access OSI IT Policies and report phishing by forwarding mail to phishing@baesystems.com.

[...]

Joe, This is tangential to your question, but maybe helpful for the future. Do you have other types of jobs running on the cluster or just ANSYS? For a heterogeneous job mix, it may make sense to use a dedicated job scheduler for the cluster (SLURM, PBS LSF, etc.) and have all the individual RSM's submit to the master scheduler. If you have CFD or EM jobs they would all use the same scheduler too, so it would make it more 'fair' (for some values of fair) for everyone. I'm running SLURM (free!) on my Linux cluster and it allocates by whole node or by core. We run ANSYS Mechanical, STAR-CCM+ (CFD), and in-house codes and they all use the SLURM scheduler. Ansys submits from PC->RSM->Slurm->RSM->PC, and it works really well. The last couple version of ANSYS natively support SLURM from RSM. For old versions I hacked some of the back-end scrips to get them to talk. And you can always hand-submit any job from the command line with a little script. Aaron C. Caba, Ph.D. Sr. Principal R&D Engineer BAE Systems, Inc. 4050 Peppers Ferry Road, Radford VA 24143-0100 www.baesystems.com -----Original Message----- From: Joe Metrisin <Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com> Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2022 10:01 AM To: xansys-temp@list.xansys.org Subject: [Xansys] Remote Solve Manager External Email Alert This email has been sent from an account outside of the BAE Systems network. Please treat the email with caution, especially if you are requested to click on a link, decrypt/open an attachment, or enable macros. For further information on how to spot phishing, access OSI IT Policies and report phishing by forwarding mail to phishing@baesystems.com. When using the RSM cluster monitoring utility, it will only show jobs for that particular version of ANSYS. For example, the 2022-R1 cluster monitor will only show 2022-R1 jobs but a machine could also have 2021-R1 or other version jobs running. This makes it pretty useless for determining if machine resources are available when your installation could have multiple ANSYS versions running. Does anyone know a way to get the cluster monitor to show all ANSYS jobs? Thanks. Joseph T Metrisin Structures Lead Florida Turbine Technologies, Inc 1701 Military Tr. Suite 110 | Jupiter, FL 33458 USA +1 (561) 427-6346 Office | +1 (772) 834-4156 Mobile Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com <mailto:Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com> Visit our website: <https://kratosdefense.com/> https://kratosdefense.com Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this transmission and any attachments are proprietary and may be privileged, intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please delete the message and immediately notify the sender via the contact information listed above. _____
JM
Joe Metrisin
Mon, Feb 28, 2022 11:33 AM

Thanks Aaron,

This particular machine only runs big ANSYS thermal/structural jobs.  We
have other machines optimized for CFD.  I've used LSF in the past at other
companies, but we just can't justify the cost of one in this situation.  I
had a look at SLURM since you mentioned it's free, but it's LINUX based and
we are on Windows.

[...]

email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many
emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode
which will send a single email per day.

Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to
xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list

Thanks Aaron, This particular machine only runs big ANSYS thermal/structural jobs. We have other machines optimized for CFD. I've used LSF in the past at other companies, but we just can't justify the cost of one in this situation. I had a look at SLURM since you mentioned it's free, but it's LINUX based and we are on Windows. Joseph T Metrisin Structures Lead Florida Turbine Technologies, Inc 1701 Military Tr. Suite 110 | Jupiter, FL 33458 USA +1 (561) 427-6346 Office | +1 (772) 834-4156 Mobile Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com Visit our website: https://kratosdefense.com Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this transmission and any attachments are proprietary and may be privileged, intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you received this communication in error, please delete the message and immediately notify the sender via the contact information listed above. -----Original Message----- From: Caba, Aaron (US) via Xansys <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Sent: Friday, February 25, 2022 3:58 PM To: XANSYS Mailing List Home <xansys-temp@list.xansys.org> Cc: Caba, Aaron (US) <Aaron.Caba@baesystems.com> Subject: [External] - [Xansys] Re: Remote Solve Manager CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Joe, This is tangential to your question, but maybe helpful for the future. Do you have other types of jobs running on the cluster or just ANSYS? For a heterogeneous job mix, it may make sense to use a dedicated job scheduler for the cluster (SLURM, PBS LSF, etc.) and have all the individual RSM's submit to the master scheduler. If you have CFD or EM jobs they would all use the same scheduler too, so it would make it more 'fair' (for some values of fair) for everyone. I'm running SLURM (free!) on my Linux cluster and it allocates by whole node or by core. We run ANSYS Mechanical, STAR-CCM+ (CFD), and in-house codes and they all use the SLURM scheduler. Ansys submits from PC->RSM->Slurm->RSM->PC, and it works really well. The last couple version of ANSYS natively support SLURM from RSM. For old versions I hacked some of the back-end scrips to get them to talk. And you can always hand-submit any job from the command line with a little script. Aaron C. Caba, Ph.D. Sr. Principal R&D Engineer BAE Systems, Inc. 4050 Peppers Ferry Road, Radford VA 24143-0100 www.baesystems.com -----Original Message----- From: Joe Metrisin <Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com> Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2022 10:01 AM To: xansys-temp@list.xansys.org Subject: [Xansys] Remote Solve Manager External Email Alert This email has been sent from an account outside of the BAE Systems network. Please treat the email with caution, especially if you are requested to click on a link, decrypt/open an attachment, or enable macros. For further information on how to spot phishing, access OSI IT Policies and report phishing by forwarding mail to phishing@baesystems.com. When using the RSM cluster monitoring utility, it will only show jobs for that particular version of ANSYS. For example, the 2022-R1 cluster monitor will only show 2022-R1 jobs but a machine could also have 2021-R1 or other version jobs running. This makes it pretty useless for determining if machine resources are available when your installation could have multiple ANSYS versions running. Does anyone know a way to get the cluster monitor to show all ANSYS jobs? Thanks. Joseph T Metrisin Structures Lead Florida Turbine Technologies, Inc 1701 Military Tr. Suite 110 | Jupiter, FL 33458 USA +1 (561) 427-6346 Office | +1 (772) 834-4156 Mobile Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com <mailto:Joe.Metrisin@kratosdefense.com> Visit our website: <https://kratosdefense.com/> https://kratosdefense.com Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this transmission and any attachments are proprietary and may be privileged, intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please delete the message and immediately notify the sender via the contact information listed above. _____ _______________________________________________ Xansys mailing list -- xansys-temp@list.xansys.org To unsubscribe send an email to xansys-temp-leave@list.xansys.org If you are receiving too many emails from XANSYS please consider changing account settings to Digest mode which will send a single email per day. Please send administrative requests such as deletion from XANSYS to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk and not to the list